cooking thread...

6 hours ago, misfish said:

Smoked ribs done. Not pull of the bone, I wanted texture this time . I still got teeth . Dang they taste sooooo good.LOL

DSCF5441.JPG.3361f416f5df44d4e13907e45924473b.JPG

DSCF5442.JPG.0f303e7cffb1f0d8faeb8a2140cd5901.JPG

How did you do them, Brian?  Did you finish them on the BBQ or eat them like that?
Doug

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, misfish said:

Home made bread day ,Newfie style,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Off to the kitchen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Stay tooned ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Newfie style???? I love homemade bread, please share recipe

4 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Newfie style???? I love homemade bread, please share recipe

It is back a page or 2 Cliff.

i AM NOT A BAKER, I AM NOT A BAKER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But I will try anything once.

1st batch went to the bin. I was in to much a rush and did not let the yeast activate. I AM NOT A BAKER . LOL

The 2nd batch did work out, but need to work on making the 3 sections in the pan equal ..

The large 10" bun on the right ,will make a great sandwich for me later on .

I AM NOT A BAKER

DSCF5453.JPG.12cf291dc0aeff8958302b16c4cb8607.JPG

Since I need practice, maybe make raisin bread in a couple days .

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 5:27 AM, misfish said:

Funny you mention making bread J. I too am thinking about it . Watched this video as she be a homer .

I just watched that video, very interesting, but I can't for the life of me catch what she calls the bread fried in the pan.  It sounds like "troutin" to my ears, but I know that troutin is fishing in a brook.  Brian, what is she saying?

12 minutes ago, akaShag said:

I just watched that video, very interesting, but I can't for the life of me catch what she calls the bread fried in the pan.  It sounds like "troutin" to my ears, but I know that troutin is fishing in a brook.  Brian, what is she saying?

The word is Toutons . Basically a version of your Bannock bread .

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/trip-ideas/travel-stories/5-foods-you-must-experience-in-nl

Was talking to mudder and pop this morning . When I said I was making bread, pop said dont make bricks and mudder said ,you got to make some toutons . I was going to make a few, but had enough of a mess on my hands already .LOL 

Pop would make them when we were kids . Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on them when warm and had with ice cream . You could even say they were the early day Beaver Tails they cook up these days .

OMG

Talk about a flash back 40 years . Why I have not been making this way before now, is beyond me . I am going to make bread more often . If you figure the price of a loaf these days, I can make 3 for the price of 1 and I know whats in it . The 1st taste was wow and a bit of a crunch from the crust of the bread .

DSCF5456.JPG.9cbfb6479cedb7c63ce626b837c30cf1.JPG

1 hour ago, misfish said:

The word is Toutons . Basically a version of your Bannock bread .

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/trip-ideas/travel-stories/5-foods-you-must-experience-in-nl

Was talking to mudder and pop this morning . When I said I was making bread, pop said dont make bricks and mudder said ,you got to make some toutons . I was going to make a few, but had enough of a mess on my hands already .LOL 

Pop would make them when we were kids . Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on them when warm and had with ice cream . You could even say they were the early day Beaver Tails they cook up these days .

Thanks Brian.  I see that I have only eaten two of the four "must eat" NF dishes on that link.  I'd just as soon have a root canal as eat anything with cabbage in it, so Jiggs Dinner is out the window, but I liked fish and brewis, and I liked bakeapple jam.  Now to try some toutons!  Funny I never saw any word of them when I was in NF for three weeks last summer.  And my late mother-in-law (from NF) never mentioned them that I know of either.  You learn something new every day.............

Doug

3 minutes ago, akaShag said:

I also hate turnip............

.........and don't care for split peas......

Well my friend, yer missing out, but so are so many . LOL

One loaf has been devoured . Not sure why they slice bread,when you can just chunk it off and spread butter on it and put a swipe of BP & jelly on top. .LOL

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, akaShag said:

I also hate turnip............

.........and don't care for split peas......

When I am trying to cut carbs, I use turnips in soups and stews.  The key to a turnip not being bitter is never use one larger than a tennis ball. Emeril Lagasse <sic> tip.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Crimsongulf said:

When I am trying to cut carbs, I use turnips in soups and stews.  The key to a turnip not being bitter is never use one larger than a tennis ball. Emeril Lagasse <sic> tip.

Today they call a turnip up here a  rutabaga . No where near the sweet taste nor the same texture, and the one I bought this past weekend cost me a dear $5. Stupid crazy price, but I had to have it.

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Today they call a turnip up here a  rutabaga . No where near the sweet taste nor the same texture, and the one I bought this past weekend cost me a dear $5. Stupid crazy price, but I had to have it.

A rutabaga and a turnip are two totally different veggies.  My mother cooked rutabagas when I was growing up and the house stunk for days.

Two nights ago, BBQ venison steaks and corn bread, both of which I did photograph, and Asparagus Impossible Pie, which I neglected to photograph.  The venison are bottom round steaks at the bottom of the pan, and loin steaks at the top, cooked nice and rare.

BBQ ven stks.jpg

corn bread.jpg

• Like 1

Impossible pie is a Bisquick-based recipe with either broccoli or asparagus, diced onion, shredded cheese and baked in the oven.  It is delicious.  My recipe:

Doctor Doug’s Broccoli (or Asparagus) Impossible Pie

1 good-size head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces

OR about a pound of asparagus, woody ends broken off and discarded, then cut into pieces

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 

2/3 cup chopped onion

1 1/3 cup milk

3 eggs

3/4 cup Bisquick (packed down)  see note 2.

1/2 tsp Hy’s seasoned salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Mix the broccoli, the cheese and the onion in a greased pie plate (or 2 pie plates, usually, see note 2).  Beat the eggs, milk, Bisquick and S&P until smooth, pour over the broccoli/etc.  Bake 25-35 minutes until cooked.  

My batch always ends up too big for one pie plate so I make two.  I use whatever comes as a "head" of broccoli in the grocery store, usually two to three heads of course, using both the flowerlets and most of the stalk, down to about the last inch and a half, which is too tough and stringy.  I use less cheese than the recipe calls for, and never top it at the end with more cheese.  I always use more Bisquick than the recipe calls for, and the batter is still about the consistency of pancake batter.  I find it takes longer than 35 minutes, usually closer to 45 minutes, but I keep a close eye on it.  It is cooked when you can put a skewer or toothpick or similar into the pie and it comes out clean.  The top should be a nice golden brown.

You can make the recipe with asparagus instead of the broccoli, but do include the onion whether you use broccoli or asparagus, it really adds a lot of flavour.  Indeed, I like the asparagus better than the broccoli.

Bon appetit!

“Doctor” Doug

Notes from April 2020:

1.  Pre-heat the oven!  This is important!!!

2. A better cooking pan is a rectangular cake pan, just make a bit more of the batter.  The end product is nicer and it doesn’t over-flow the rim and make a mess.

3. Italiano shredded cheese also makes a very nice flavoured pie.

• Like 2

Been working from home for the last few weeks due to the Corona's.

Seems I can manage more energy fer the cooking when working from my couch all day.  😂

Tonight's dinner was pineapple chicken with Chinese veggies and Canton noodles.

spacer.png

Here's a few past dinners.

Beef burritos with lettuce and cheese.

spacer.png

Spaghetti with meat sauce.

spacer.png

Beef stew with baby red taters.

spacer.png

Orange ginger chicken stir fry with rice.

spacer.png

Ham with scalloped potatoes and baby carrots.

spacer.png

A robust bacon cheese burger and fries.

spacer.png

• Like 2