cooking thread...

6 hours ago, misfish said:

HMMMMMMMMMMM

Thought you were Italian ? One word

Polenta = Italian grits .:good:

Thanks for the reminder. Tonight we had home made Lasagna, hot Italian sausages, battered and fried Zucchini and a Ceasar's salata. No scarpetta, little shoe in Italian, as I am rationing Portuguese buns.

I like instant grits, no stirring in a copper pot for hours on end. When I went across the ditch I always brought back dozens of packages of grits. If anyone knows where to get instant grits around the Niagara region I would be appreciative. I'll go after I get out of lock up. We don't even get time off for good behavior. 

For any non Hamiltonians "The ditch" is the Niagara River.

Tomorrow I am going to make bread and Pizza dough. I do not bake and measure nothing. I will have to measure tomorrow. I made pizza dough years ago and my wife begged me to buy it, not because it was bad because there was flour everywhere after I was done. We have white cabinets and counter top now in the kitchen so I'm good to go. 

Any tips all?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Thanks for the reminder. Tonight we had home made Lasagna, hot Italian sausages, battered and fried Zucchini and a Ceasar's salata. No scarpetta, little shoe in Italian, as I am rationing Portuguese buns.

I like instant grits, no stirring in a copper pot for hours on end. When I went across the ditch I always brought back dozens of packages of grits. If anyone knows where to get instant grits around the Niagara region I would be appreciative. I'll go after I get out of lock up. We don't even get time off for good behavior. 

For any non Hamiltonians "The ditch" is the Niagara River.

Do you mean like this? I brought back three boxes with me  (22 packs in a box), I'll gladly give you one if we can arrange a way to get it to you, I am quarantined until Tuesday.

20200327_082408.jpg

Grabbed some yeast during the Tues morning seniors hour at Superstore, had some flour, going to dig out that old bread machine to save some exposure to the outside world. Used it for years but got lazy, mostly used the dough setting and bake in a bread pan in the oven, never liked the hole that removing the paddle left, looked like a rat chewed it's way into the loaf. Now to find the old recipes I liked.

3 hours ago, akaShag said:

No-knead bread is awesome:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

I go a hair light on the water.  When I put in the full amount of water, I got a slightly doughy bread...

Doug what kind of pot do you use? Does it have to be cast iron or ceramic coated? All I have is a 6 qt large heavy stainless pot that I use for soups and stews.

Cheers

1 hour ago, smitty55 said:

Doug what kind of pot do you use? Does it have to be cast iron or ceramic coated? All I have is a 6 qt large heavy stainless pot that I use for soups and stews.

Cheers

From what I understand that should work just get it hot first.

7 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Do you mean like this? I brought back three boxes with me  (22 packs in a box), I'll gladly give you one if we can arrange a way to get it to you, I am quarantined until Tuesday.

20200327_082408.jpg

That is exactly what I used to buy Big Cliff. Thank you for the generous offer. I can wait until this World of ours gets back to some type of normal. Thanks again. 

Made pizza dough today, enough for 3 large pizzas. I made a bit of a mess but cleaned it up. Other than pizza's I am the worse baker I know. I am going to try and make bread tomorrow. I wish we didn't give our bread maker away years ago. We were eating an entire loaf every day. I may have given myself Diabetes, that was around the time I was diagnosed. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

19 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

That is exactly what I used to buy Big Cliff. Thank you for the generous offer. I can wait until this World of ours gets back to some type of normal. Thanks again. 

Made pizza dough today, enough for 3 large pizzas. I made a bit of a mess but cleaned it up. Other than pizza's I am the worse baker I know. I am going to try and make bread tomorrow. I wish we didn't give our bread maker away years ago. We were eating an entire loaf every day. I may have given myself Diabetes, that was around the time I was diagnosed. 

Try the no knead  bread recipe Doug posted, it looks easy and the reviews are great, easier than the bread machine too. I am starting a batch tonight. 

2 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Cheers

Just about anything will work, as long as the lid fits tightly and can take the heat.  I use a heavy enamel covered dutch oven like these ones:

https://www.lecreuset.ca/bakeware/covered-casseroles/

On a lot of dutch ovens or covered casserole dishes, the lid handle is made of bakelite or some kind of hard plastic - they will not take the heat, so you want to make sure the lid handle is metal or similar.

And I am not a baker, but this recipe is very forgiving.

Doug

2 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Try the no knead  bread recipe Doug posted, it looks easy and the reviews are great, easier than the bread machine too. I am starting a batch tonight. 

I opened the link and they want me to sign up. Naw. I'm sure I can find a different recipe on the interweb. Let us know how yours turned out. We have one of those heavy iron pots. It's a workout just to get it out from the bottom cabinet. It's heavy. 

4 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I opened the link and they want me to sign up. Naw. I'm sure I can find a different recipe on the interweb. Let us know how yours turned out. We have one of those heavy iron pots. It's a workout just to get it out from the bottom cabinet. It's heavy. 

Try the second link I posted..........

6 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Back to Brian I didn't watch the video either,. am I missing anything?

Ya, the way it was meant to be, home made the way, back in da day . LOL

Check out yer molasses raisin bread .

Edited by misfish

Mom always used room temp water to make her Pizza dough. A branch of our family tree is in the bread business, Roma Bakery from Hamilton. Some may know their famous rectangular bread Pizza's they sell in many stores locally like Fortino's. I remember the owner telling Mom when he visited once years ago that if you use bad water and have bad air you end up with bad dough. They were talking about the terrible bread in Florida.  By bad water I think he meant too many chemicals in the city water. 

I hope I get at least 51% for participation. 

• Like 1