cooking thread...

22 hours ago, NILS Master Lures said:

Do you use a pizza stone with the smoker to do pizzas? Or do you have another technique that works well?

I use a stone made for the KJ.  I cheat and buy the pizza dough from Publix and then all fresh toppings.  Without the heat deflector I can get it to 600*.  I have a friend that uses a big cast iron skillet for pizza on the smoker.  this was one of his for the Super Bowl.

img_20200219_181007911_ae8b694adf71836c9c715eecb645c14a5a30be4b.jpg

Just now, Crimsongulf said:

I use a stone made for the KJ.  I cheat and buy the pizza dough from Publix and then all fresh toppings.  Without the heat deflector I can get it to 600*.  I have a friend that uses a big cast iron skillet for pizza on the smoker.  this was one of his for the Super Bowl.

Definitely better than take-out! I've heard about doing pizza in a cast iron skillet. Sounds cool. 

2 minutes ago, NILS Master Lures said:

Definitely better than take-out! I've heard about doing pizza in a cast iron skillet. Sounds cool. 

Cast iron is the most versatile cooking tool on the planet.  I keep my eye out on Facebook marketplace for them.  they can be used and abused and with just a relatively small amount of work they can be put back into service.

6 minutes ago, Crimsongulf said:

Cast iron is the most versatile cooking tool on the planet.  I keep my eye out on Facebook marketplace for them.  they can be used and abused and with just a relatively small amount of work they can be put back into service.

Oh yeah for sure. I have a couple of new(er) ones and one that is probably 40 years old that was handed down to me. Use them all the time and love them for their consistent, radiant heat. 

Just never used one to do a pizza in....yet! 😎

10 hours ago, Spiel said:

Yesterday was a good day to stay in and make another pot of soup (made a 24 serving pot of Beef and Barley Soup last week).
This time a Scallop and Shrimp Chowder. It was the perfect snowy day dinner.

scallopshrimpchowder.jpg

scallopshrimpchowder 2.jpg

scallopshrimpchowder 3.jpg

scallopshrimpchowder 4.jpg

scallopshrimpchowder 5.jpg

That looks sooooo good.  I use the shrimp and crab shells to make stock for gumbo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lets eat

First we got to get the pork hocks done . After my first try, I knew I had something that I would be doing again. 4 nice chunky pieces that sat in the bath of brown sugar, kosher salt,bay leafs,pepper corns and gloves  for 3 days.

DSCF5297.JPG.216efeeb157c7cad49dcf8dd7ad9abbe.JPG

DSCF5299.JPG.31ae6a2046776247d2c48c32d3d71409.JPG

DSCF5308.JPG.0c63f0adbbddb201383f4dda28ba2373.JPG

When they were finally in the smoker,I had a craving for some cabbage rolls. Seasoned to taste the meat, wrap in savoy cabbage leaves. Savoy is  much taster and sweeter then regular ole cabbage and softer melt in your mouth. 2 meat balls for the added side .  Poured over bath of diced tomatoes and tomato juice .Still half a cabbage left to chop into soup with one of the hocks this week.

DSCF5300.JPG.4c4164f8c17bc7fc9860a4af4b70e3d9.JPG

DSCF5302.thumb.JPG.787e0b5ce64e1c976e2c63d26d2a695b.JPG

DSCF5304.JPG.7d51269a2b8db4b492549343fed3c71c.JPG

15 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Brian, do I understand you made the smoked pork hocks into meatballs?  And where did you get those nice meaty hocks?

Doug

No the hocks are hocks still, but you sir, have given me a whole new idea with them .LOL

When I am going to smoke bacon or hocks or any pork these days, I head down to Mississauga to Starskys . They have the finest meats,cheese from around the world almost, and their smoke fish is good as well. Well not as good as mine. Plus catch and smoke is cheaper . LOL

http://www.starskycanada.com/aboutus.php?s=3

Edited by misfish

OK I'm getting hungry now looking at all those viddles. Chrimsontide where do live? As soon as the border is open I'm coming down so you can show me how to make that real deal Gulf coast Shrimp and Grits bake. Of course I love both. Got a gumbo recipe you can share? 

. We aren't exactly rationing but I'm being very frugal cooking to lessen our trips to the grocers. Just yesterday I cooked up a pot of Corned beef and cabbage. I add onions, potatoes and carrots to it and thicken up with cornstarch rue. All  trimmings of the veggies went into a pot with the 2 chicken backs I saved and now have 2 large containers of healthy stock. I always say I should do that but forget to. We have 24 cans of tomatoes and a tote full of pasta and a few pounds of parmesan. We are good for months. I could eat pasta every day. My Uncle had pasta 7 days a week. Blood sugar levels be dammed. 

9 hours ago, akaShag said:

all very interesting indeed, but I can't see myself going to Mrs Sauga for meat.

So will you make schweine haxen with the smoked hocks?

Eh Doug

I looked up schweine haxen . Interesting . No they will be soups . Hearty veggie filled . Will also add barley or even pasta .

Schweine haxen are one of my favourite German dishes.  I tried to make them once, but they just didn't hold a candle to the real thing served in Germany.............but I CAN make spatzele that tastes just like the stuff I ate over there many times!

Doug

On 3/23/2020 at 7:57 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

OK I'm getting hungry now looking at all those viddles. Chrimsontide where do live? As soon as the border is open I'm coming down so you can show me how to make that real deal Gulf coast Shrimp and Grits bake. Of course I love both. Got a gumbo recipe you can share? 

. We aren't exactly rationing but I'm being very frugal cooking to lessen our trips to the grocers. Just yesterday I cooked up a pot of Corned beef and cabbage. I add onions, potatoes and carrots to it and thicken up with cornstarch rue. All  trimmings of the veggies went into a pot with the 2 chicken backs I saved and now have 2 large containers of healthy stock. I always say I should do that but forget to. We have 24 cans of tomatoes and a tote full of pasta and a few pounds of parmesan. We are good for months. I could eat pasta every day. My Uncle had pasta 7 days a week. Blood sugar levels be dammed. 

I am sorry, I just saw this.  We live on Bon Secour Bay which is really part of Mobile Bay.  The near towns that people may have heard from are Gulf shores and Orange Beach.  We are about 15 miles from the Florida line.

If I don't catch seafood myself I get my stuff from here.

https://www.billys-seafood.com/

I never seem to do it the same way twice.

• 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
  • 1 cup quick-cooking grits
  • 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Preheat oven to 350°. In a 13x9-in. or 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, combine broth and grits. Bake, uncovered, until liquid is absorbed and grits are tender, 30-35 minutes.
  • Stir in tomatoes, Monterey Jack cheese and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining cheese; let stand 5 minutes.
  • In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute green pepper and onion until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add shrimp and garlic; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, 2-3 minutes. Spoon over grits.

That is a copy and paste from a  cajun site, but I substitute, add extra, sorta depends on what I have .  It gives you the idea though.