cooking thread...

2 hours ago, akaShag said:

That's absolutely AWESOME.  I never knew such things existed.  What a bunch of opportunities missed in all my big road trips over the past decade!!!

Dave, if you are going to be anywhere near Kingston Ontario I would be honoured to buy you a coffee or a cold beverage of your choice.

Doug

Hi Doug

Probably won't make it that far East as the old boy lives in London now.

Here's the oven dealy. Heats @ 350 degrees. Have used it in the past to cook up hot dogs so far.

It's on sale too. :) https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/auto-trends-12v-car-food-warmer-0371099p.html

This is the slow cooker. https://www.amazon.ca/RoadPro-RPSL-350-Quart-Slow-Cooker/dp/B0013IR88A

Haven't used it yet as I picked it up this summer. Got a good deal at $25 off a lady in town that bought it but never used it .

Test recipe #2 is out of the oven. ;)

78186194_479623976240327_520934941365842

On 12/1/2019 at 11:25 AM, akaShag said:

Dave, thanks for that link.  I went to my local Cdn Tire and bought the last one they had.

I would be interested in your 12 volt corn bread recipe!

Doug

I've got three I'm testing.

I'll let you know the best one after trying them. ;)

10 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I've got three I'm testing.

I'll let you know the best one after trying them. ;)

Thanks Dave.

But honestly, ANY corn bread out of a 12 volt cooker has to be awesome.............I giggle just thinking about it!  Like I said I just wish I had known about these cookers before all of my big road trips over the last decade or so.  Kingston to the Yukon and back, Kingston  to the west coast of Vancouver Island and back, east coast five times I think including Newfoundland this past summer.  Lots of times I was too tired to do much for supper so I had a cold salami and cheese sandwich.  🙄  THINK of the possibilities!

Doug

2 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Thanks Dave.

But honestly, ANY corn bread out of a 12 volt cooker has to be awesome.............I giggle just thinking about it!  Like I said I just wish I had known about these cookers before all of my big road trips over the last decade or so.  Kingston to the Yukon and back, Kingston  to the west coast of Vancouver Island and back, east coast five times I think including Newfoundland this past summer.  Lots of times I was too tired to do much for supper so I had a cold salami and cheese sandwich.  🙄  THINK of the possibilities!

Doug

Way better than wrapping your food in tinfoil and strapping it to the engine to heat up while cruising down the road EH?  😁

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

Hi Doug

Probably won't make it that far East as the old boy lives in London now.

Here's the oven dealy. Heats @ 350 degrees. Have used it in the past to cook up hot dogs so far.

It's on sale too. :) https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/auto-trends-12v-car-food-warmer-0371099p.html

This is the slow cooker. https://www.amazon.ca/RoadPro-RPSL-350-Quart-Slow-Cooker/dp/B0013IR88A

Haven't used it yet as I picked it up this summer. Got a good deal at $25 off a lady in town that bought it but never used it .

Test recipe #2 is out of the oven. ;)

78186194_479623976240327_520934941365842

Can't believe I didn't know these existed.  Hey Dave, I'll extend Doug's offer a couple hours west.  If you have time to sneak in some steelheading, bring Drifter 016 and it can meet a long lost sibling in Drifter 004.  I'll bet they could tell some stories.   

14 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Way better than wrapping your food in tinfoil and strapping it to the engine to heat up while cruising down the road EH?  😁

I had forgotten about that!  Haven't done that since some time in the early 80s.........

19 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

Can't believe I didn't know these existed.  Hey Dave, I'll extend Doug's offer a couple hours west.  If you have time to sneak in some steelheading, bring Drifter 016 and it can meet a long lost sibling in Drifter 004.  I'll bet they could tell some stories.   

LOL, thanks for the offer. Won't be bringing any gear with me.

This is about my dad as it could very well be the last time I see him.

He'll be 91 in the new year.

Don't know how exciting it's going to be at the old geezers home but the grey hairs may surprise me and be party animals!!! :rofl2:

• 1 month later...

Cod cakes101

I know many like to boil their salt cod,but I like the texture of the salted fish, so I soak it for 2 days ( change water 2 x ) drain and let sit for another day.  Started on friday, Oh along with a few tails of salmon a co worker asked me to smoke. I agreed since the temps were warm. LOL

Prep

DSCF5136.JPG.d74abcae8881ba25c1b18cc25bee7a76.JPG

Up Saturday to a pouring rainy morning and get the smoker fired up. Drain bowl of cod and replenish. Salmon done and turned out very nice.

DSCF5139.JPG.36ebcc740651f2ab6069ede4e0961d3c.JPG

Wake up to a winterfest Sunday morning. Need to get some yeller taters and a large onion for the cakes. Off to No frills and back I get to start chopping.

1 large purple onion diced,5lb taters and 2lb salt cod.

DSCF5151.JPG.f6ed0cfbe6ad35741785b2a83b040359.JPG

DSCF5153.JPG.98f41e5e0918e7d5ae24616c73461e31.JPG

DSCF5154.JPG.21d3e494bca42da1c3698efd087d1151.JPG

DSCF5155.JPG.01cc5ef0394871405ca30f303b9a8799.JPG

DSCF5158.JPG.6b4a3dadf048c0beadfb13a11a409825.JPG

Perfect cakes with just the right amount of salt taste and the fish texture is perfect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, misfish said:

Cod cakes101

I know many like to boil their salt cod,but I like the texture of the salted fish, so I soak it for 2 days ( change water 2 x ) drain and let sit for another day.  Started on friday, Oh along with a few tails of salmon a co worker asked me to smoke. I agreed since the temps were warm. LOL

Prep

DSCF5136.JPG.d74abcae8881ba25c1b18cc25bee7a76.JPG

Up Saturday to a pouring rainy morning and get the smoker fired up. Drain bowl of cod and replenish. Salmon done and turned out very nice.

DSCF5139.JPG.36ebcc740651f2ab6069ede4e0961d3c.JPG

Wake up to a winterfest Sunday morning. Need to get some yeller taters and a large onion for the cakes. Off to No frills and back I get to start chopping.

1 large purple onion diced,5lb taters and 2lb salt cod.

DSCF5151.JPG.f6ed0cfbe6ad35741785b2a83b040359.JPG

DSCF5153.JPG.98f41e5e0918e7d5ae24616c73461e31.JPG

DSCF5154.JPG.21d3e494bca42da1c3698efd087d1151.JPG

DSCF5155.JPG.01cc5ef0394871405ca30f303b9a8799.JPG

DSCF5158.JPG.6b4a3dadf048c0beadfb13a11a409825.JPG

Perfect cakes with just the right amount of salt taste and the fish texture is perfect.

Looks good. Were your mashed taters cold when you mixed it all up? An old Newfie buddy of mine said that was the trick to get the best cod cakes.

14 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Looks good. Were your mashed taters cold when you mixed it all up? An old Newfie buddy of mine said that was the trick to get the best cod cakes.

Thanks

I have done both cold and warm. I like the warm mix, as the taters absorb the flavor of the fish and onion much more. I allow to cool before patty making.

• Like 1

I don't come to this thread often but when I do I gain a few pounds just by looking at the feasts and goodies you ALL can make. Spiel you should be a food photographer, not sure about the pay and I am told the food is cold or months old. 

A late Happy Holidays to all you food gurus. Keep up the traditions but more importantly pass them on if you can find someone interested. I find folks today just order in, easy peasy lemon sqeezy. My God Daughter does like to learn and I can't be happier about it. Growing up they had 7 different days of take out food. Since she got married she has lost 40 pounds after having 2 babies once she started eating regular viddles. 

If you see this M2B2 I don't text but feel free to call me on something called a telephone. Lot's of catching up to do. 

Johnny D/Selkirk On. 

Oh man. Here I am typing about food and almost burned the cabbage I am making for supper. Mom's recipe sort of. Might as well pass it on, nothing special but good food.

1/2 a Savoy cabbage sliced thin in a good sized pot. Sometimes I cut in square chunks. Up to you. 

Toast about 5 nice cloves garlic in EVO.

Add cabbage and get garlic off the bottom of pot get heat up.

Add about a cup of stock. (or good wine or a good beer, put 1/2 in drink balance)

Salt, black pepper, chili flakes, smoked Hungarian paprika.

A splash or more of Red Wine Vinegar. A splash is about a 1/4 cup. 

Cover, cook until done to preference.

Just don't burn it, almost. I've got a pot to clean. Grrrrr.

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, smitty55 said:

They look real good Spiel. That's a good looking garlic bulb too, if I recall you grow your own right.

I noticed some of your preserves in the background. Is that a mustard pickle?

Cheers

Thank you.

No, the Garlic is from a friend who is a Chef, garden grown.

Yes that is indeed Mustard Pickles, delicious. Also from a friend.  ;)

This week's project is pork tenderloin bacon.  I made this once before and posted it here I believe.  Bacon candy!  🤤

Doug

PS)  Found it, posted on 23 Aug 18, page 116 on my page view.

Edited by akaShag
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...