cooking thread...

25 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

Good to see you back, I've missed your posts, and not just on this thread. I hope things are well with you and your family.

Cheers

Thanks smitty! Things have been great! I hope all is well on your end too!

I'm itching to chase the big walleyes this time of year but we are in flood waters

35 minutes ago, Manitoubass3 said:

Thanks smitty! Things have been great! I hope all is well on your end too!

I'm itching to chase the big walleyes this time of year but we are in flood waters

I used to know a guy named Manitoubass2. I gave him the name M2B2. A pretty good fellow. Shall I call you M2B3?

I had pepper jelly for the 1st time in my life at our Thanksgiving dinner here. I said there were 16, correction 18 of us and 2 babies. My wife did a 25lb. bird and all the fixins. She prepped for 2 days, she is one amazing woman. This was all after putting in 8 straight 10 hr. days at her store. I mixed a few ingredients for a Maple Dijon glaze, slapped it on a 10 lb ham threw it on the BBQ to heat it up and everyone thanked me for the dinner. I did not take the credit, this time. If a dinner contains tomatoes and garlic then I'm in charge. For Canuck food, she is Chef de jour. There was zero veggies and mash left, zero ham and just enough Turkey we had open faced hot Turkey sangwiches last night. The only time I want fresh squishy white Vunder Bread. 

16 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I used to know a guy named Manitoubass2. I gave him the name M2B2. A pretty good fellow. Shall I call you M2B3?

I had pepper jelly for the 1st time in my life at our Thanksgiving dinner here. I said there were 16, correction 18 of us and 2 babies. My wife did a 25lb. bird and all the fixins. She prepped for 2 days, she is one amazing woman. This was all after putting in 8 straight 10 hr. days at her store. I mixed a few ingredients for a Maple Dijon glaze, slapped it on a 10 lb ham threw it on the BBQ to heat it up and everyone thanked me for the dinner. I did not take the credit, this time. If a dinner contains tomatoes and garlic then I'm in charge. For Canuck food, she is Chef de jour. There was zero veggies and mash left, zero ham and just enough Turkey we had open faced hot Turkey sangwiches last night. The only time I want fresh squishy white Vunder Bread. 

Hahaha, sounds good my friend! I tried a few times but I could never loging under my original name and it wouldnt let me email the mids about it, so ....

Sounds delicious. We skipped traditional and had moose with all the liver and onions one could imagine as well.

The oven bannock was on point. Also for the first time in years it was just us and the kids, which I have to admit was nice

6 hours ago, Manitoubass3 said:

Hahaha, sounds good my friend! I tried a few times but I could never loging under my original name and it wouldnt let me email the mids about it, so ....

Sounds delicious. We skipped traditional and had moose with all the liver and onions one could imagine as well.

The oven bannock was on point. Also for the first time in years it was just us and the kids, which I have to admit was nice

We aren't getting any younger to cook for 20. My baby brother will be 60 this coming January, his wife nor he can make a sandwich let alone dinner. about 7 years ago he insisted all 17 of us come to his 1 bedroom apt. for Christmas dinner, I asked where are we gonna' sit Bro? You don't even have 6 plates and cutlery. Then it was she and he were going to Mom and Dad's early and prepare dinner. Then on Christmas eve when they didn't show up for the fish and seafood feast Ticha and I made Mom told us they are both dying of the Flu and can't make it can you guys do it.  So we drive the 2 hour return trip to get our clothes and up early to start making everything from scratch. No Turkey, where's the Turkey? He got busted, they didn't even buy one, this is Christmas morning. I am going to stop here before I put a fist through this touch screen. A Christmas we shall never forget.  Anyone here know how difficult it is to find a thawed 25 pound Turkey on Christmas morning? However they said they did have a 2 pound ham to contribute. I had to tell them the difference between a ham and a frozen piece of peameal bacon. Lasagna that Christmas, Turkey smurkey. I drove around all morning to friends and goomba's in Hamilton to get enough ingredients to make 2 massive home made lasagna's. I sware we rolled mini meatballs for 2 strait hours. We ground up some thawed and some frozen beef, pork, chicken and even some venison to make them little basterds. The best meatballs ever. Probably one of the best Christmas dinners, ya' can't forget that one. They still laugh about it, we don't. 

Welcome back Rick!

I think it was me that christened you M2B2 but OIM might be right, that he did.  Too many years, too many beers.....

Anywho, M2B3 it is good to hear from you again.  Not long ago I was wondering what became of you.  I just got back from a moose hunting trip to North Central Quebec, no moose in the larder for me this year.  Guess you will have to come south with some moose and we will can it!😉

Doug

7 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Welcome back Rick!

I think it was me that christened you M2B2 but OIM might be right, that he did.  Too many years, too many beers.....

Anywho, M2B3 it is good to hear from you again.  Not long ago I was wondering what became of you.  I just got back from a moose hunting trip to North Central Quebec, no moose in the larder for me this year.  Guess you will have to come south with some moose and we will can it!😉

Doug

Good to hear from ya! Moose are THICK up here this year.

I shot a nice bull and my son got a nice cow. We are stocked up great! My son has had an awesome year! 3 deer as well and plenty of birds. We are eating well!

So I was in the grocery store yesterday and saw pork picnic shoulders on sale at $.99/lb so I picked up a couple of 8-9 lb ones. Always wanted to try smoked picnics but have never tried it. Joined up smoking meat forums. Anyone here have any experience with them? I see some articles say to remove the fat and others say no leave it on like the ones you buy in the store. Some call for a long brining while others say to use injection to cut brining times but then they won't get the flavour from the added spices. First thing I need to do is to find some #1 pink curing salt.

Cheers

17 hours ago, Manitoubass3 said:

Good to hear from ya! Moose are THICK up here this year.

I shot a nice bull and my son got a nice cow. We are stocked up great! My son has had an awesome year! 3 deer as well and plenty of birds. We are eating well!

Good for you and your lad!  Did you get a pressure canner yet? 😉

Doug

6 hours ago, akaShag said:

Never tried to make smoked picnic shoulder, so I can't help with that.

I have some white curing salt here, and also some Prague Powder.  Free to you for the price of postage...

Doug

Tks Dougie. I have some white here too but wanted the coloured so it tints the meat.

Cheers

34 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

Tks Dougie. I have some white here too but wanted the coloured so it tints the meat.

Cheers

Roger that.  My prague powder is also the white, not the pink.  Interested to hear how your experiment works out!

Doug

11 hours ago, akaShag said:

and I told you how I do the canned moose?  Cold pack, not hot pack, no broth, right?

Doug

Yessir! I dont make much. It's mainly her hunting expeditions.  Everyone loves it though!

Lately I've been in love just taking some thinner slices of moose, powder it in flour, add on hot skillet with minced garlic, season with onion and garlic powder, seasoning salt, black pepper 

I'll also add on sometimes and even brussel sprouts. One of those dishes that's just super easy, tasty and I never get sick of it

So I found some pink #1 curing salt at Cabelas. Then I checked the due date on those pork shoulders and it was getting close so I put one in the freezer and decided to just smoke the other one without the week long cure it would need. Yesterday I took all the skin and fat off to start. Mixed up a cup of 4 different mustards to smear the roast with. Then I mixed up almost 2 cups of spice rub, including brown sugar, salt and pepper, garlic and onion powder, chili powder, cayenne, lots of smoked paprika and a few tablespoons of Blackened Saskatchewan Rub, a Traeger mix I picked up while at Cabelas. It sure smelled good, and I completely covered the roast with it. Wrapped in foil overnight in the fridge and it's in the smoker today. There's no way I'll be able to get it up to temp in my Big Chief, so it will go in the oven to finish. Once it hits 165° I'll wrap it in foil and then return to the oven till it hits around 200°or so, the temp needed for pulled pork. Definitely looking forward to trying this, got a batch of baked beans on the go as well.

IMG_1024.JPG.7767ef9e96c7f27069dc9ab4d584d263.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

• Like 3

So it took until 11PM before the meat reached 165°. Then I double wrapped it in heavy foil and poured in a cup of apple cider and sealed it real well. By 3AM the temp probe went through the meat like soft butter and read 205° just like the guys on smoking meat forums had said, the meat will tell you when it's ready. So I sealed it back up and put it in the downstairs fridge along with the crockpot full of beans. So along with a batch of scalloped potatoes that was last night's dinner. Even cold the meat easily shredded, it was hard to actually hard to get a clean slice it was so tender.

OMG the flavour was incredible, never had pork like that before. Even the gel inside the foil had so much flavour I couldn't stop sticking my finger in it to taste and even smeared some on my meat. Wifey couldn't stop commenting on how fabulous the meal was and I agree. As a bonus, yesterday I made up a somewhat complicated 14 ingredient mustard sauce that I found perusing the forums and looked so intriguing  I printed out the recipe. It's a real old recipe handed down by a grandmother in NC. Only 25 minutes of cooking gives almost 2 cups of the sauce. It was so different and went really well with the pork. I was impressed for sure but next time might cut back on the cider vinegar some. The author also uses it as a coleslaw dressing so I will try that too. Here's the recipe.

3/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup lite brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp hot sauce (personal preference, I use Texas Pete's)
3/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS molasses
1 TBS mustard powder (fresh ground from mustard seeds is best)
1 TBS unsalted butter
1/4 cup fine minced onion ( I use yellow)
2 cloves finely minced garlic (about 2 tsp)
1 TBS neutral flavored cooking oil (I use vegetable)
1 tsp liquid smoke
Directions
Sautee the onion and garlic in the 1 TBS cooking oil until the onion is translucent and drain excess oil off (I put the sauteed mix a dish lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil)
Measure the liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, butter and hot sauce and set aside...
Add all remaining ingredients to a sauce pan (including sauteed onion and garlic) and simmer on med heat for 15 minutes...DO NOT BOIL...
Add the liquid smoke, butter Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce and simmer an additional 10 minutes...
Cool completely then put sauce in an airtight container and refrigerate over night...
I'd suggest experimenting a little with the liquid smoke and hot sauce quantities to match your personal preference and as always
Quality in = quality out...
I use all name brand ingredients...

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Testing out cornbread recipes I can cook in my 12 volt oven on my road trip to Ontario coming up next weekend. :)

This is my first try. Haven't tasted it yet but it looks and smells awesome. 😁

Got a 12 volt crock pot as well. Should be able to cook up a decent meal while cruising down the road. 😎

78908324_481719205779625_534883306791606

8 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Testing out cornbread recipes I can cook in my 12 volt oven on my road trip to Ontario coming up next weekend. :)

This is my first try. Haven't tasted it yet but it looks and smells awesome. 😁

Got a 12 volt crock pot as well. Should be able to cook up a decent meal while cruising down the road. 😎

78908324_481719205779625_534883306791606

That's absolutely AWESOME.  I never knew such things existed.  What a bunch of opportunities missed in all my big road trips over the past decade!!!

Dave, if you are going to be anywhere near Kingston Ontario I would be honoured to buy you a coffee or a cold beverage of your choice.

Doug