cooking thread...

10 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Shag, I'd BBQ Froot Loops if they didn't fall through the grill!

HH

Yes, guilty as charged sir.  Me too.

I have done whole chickens before, just never tried that big a bird and was worried that it would be burned on the outside and raw in the middle.  The thigh temp was higher than I liked it, but the breast temp was not up to "cooked" for about 15 minutes longer.  But even the drumsticks were fine, nothing dried out.

And I made a lovely GRAVY out of the pan juices!!!

Doug

I would do a small turkey like I would do a chicken, spatchik (sp?) style. Split open, meat side down on the cold side  of the grill with the heat coming from left side of the grill. Keep the temp at 300.  Cook til the skin balloons.  I like the jerk rub from the bulk barn.

1 hour ago, misfish said:

I would do a small turkey like I would do a chicken, spatchik (sp?) style. Split open, meat side down on the cold side  of the grill with the heat coming from left side of the grill. Keep the temp at 300.  Cook til the skin balloons.  I like the jerk rub from the bulk barn.

Definitely spatchcock, it's the only thing I do now, in the last year I've probably done 10+ whole chickens and 4 turkeys 12-15lbs and they have been the most moist poultry I've ever had

15 hours ago, mamona said:

Looks great!
I was never into electric smokers for some reason... How is the maintenance of this thing, cleaning?

I have no idea mamona. I just took it out of the box yesterday. Looks pretty easy to clean. You have a couple of containers for the wood chips and they slide in and out so I assume you just slide out the used stuff and dump it. Saturday is the big day for smoking ribs and chicken wings.

23 minutes ago, Squid said:

I have no idea mamona. I just took it out of the box yesterday. Looks pretty easy to clean. You have a couple of containers for the wood chips and they slide in and out so I assume you just slide out the used stuff and dump it. Saturday is the big day for smoking ribs and chicken wings.

All you have to clean in an electric smoker is the racks.  Before you use that smoker for the first time with food in it, you should put a couple pans of smoke through it EMPTY to burn off any chemicals/solvents/etc from the manufacturing process.

Doug

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

All you have to clean in an electric smoker is the racks.  Before you use that smoker for the first time with food in it, you should put a couple pans of smoke through it EMPTY to burn off any chemicals/solvents/etc from the manufacturing process.

Doug

thanks for the tips Shag

Well I managed to cook up 6 baby back ribs ( cooked for 5 hrs at 200F) and 2 lbs of chicken wings ( cooked 3 hrs at 200F) and they came out fantastic. I used bourbon barrel wood chips and a bit of mesquite wood chips. My kitchen smelt like smoke the next morning!! Good sign that the food was good? Nothing left for left overs!! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I'm surprised this thread has fallen so far back onto the second page. Nothing too exciting to post, but breaking in a new smoker is always good. So in go two pans of chips to get it warmed up. In the meantime two packs of pork chops get well seasoned on both sides. This smoker was a gift, a front loading Big Chief. I must say I much prefer the top loader, I can load the whole rack in the house and then slide it into the smoker. The racks in the front loader aren't very stable, the brackets they slide in on are only in the front and back so it's easy for the rack to slide off. But being new it sure heats up well and puts out way more smoke than my old ones. So I went with one pan of Hickory chips and then a pan of Jack Daniel pellets. Boy do they ever taste good, I could never do with plain old chops anymore. Next up I will be making up a rub for two racks of ribs I have in the fridge just waiting to get smoked. Looking forward to that for sure.IMG_1004.thumb.JPG.0d677c985577fcc8033e4b822aa5d801.JPGIMG_1006.thumb.JPG.1ce98b7c91740e4cd1d470da6e53ad33.JPGIMG_1007.thumb.JPG.4f0405b189a92299f37412230a31fde7.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, smitty55 said:

But being new it sure heats up well and puts out way more smoke than my old ones.

Yup. That is what I am finding as well. WAY more smoke. And yup, it gets hot fast. Got some trout smoking right now. :canadian:

Going to have to try the chops and ribs. Do you finish on the grill ?

Edited by misfish

Ive been using my smoker a lot lately too. How can you not? Mine is a masterbuilt electric with the digital controls. It works really good. I'm super happy with it. 

Brian, I always finish my ribs on the grill. Just to get the sauce browned up really, the ribs/chicken is already fully cooked. I usually do 5 hours at 240 for ribs. Fish I do 190. I do the indian candy brown sugar/salt recipe on the fish. Apple chips. Love it. A bit more work in prep, but man it is soooo good!! 

S. 

With the smoke this unit puts out,I had to run an extension cord out to the pasture allowing the n/w wind to flow the smoke away. LOL  I do not want to piss off the neighbors. I did have one come out and ask for a sample when it was done. :canadian:

DSCF4788.thumb.JPG.d59cf2d9e9344f473a5f4a17a0e5dc51.JPG

I couldn't get the smoker past 155 deg.  Tucked away out of the wind. I could of had it in the sun like the old one,but I want to see what it could do.

DSCF4789.thumb.JPG.8347dc41c50dd33bbb88cd84b0345dac.JPG

These chunks were thicker then I would usually do, but I wanted to give the new smoker a work out. A light brush of Canadian maple and 6.5 hours later, it,s done.

DSCF4790.thumb.JPG.474d85b6091032e243c712bf128945fc.JPG

I sampled a piece and it was good,but I like it cold the next day.  Really give the true taste IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure I can do that stuff anymore G, but sure looks tasty.

So my results of the smoke from Sunday.

After being in the fridge over night till Monday, I enjoyed the nice texture, not to wet and not to dry. The smoke taste was just enough. Tonight I ate a nice thick piece.  I was like,I made this ? LOL Every batch turns out nothing like the last. This is very cool.

Seems my fellow co-workers were in agreement today. It was :thumbsup_anim: To bad I am the only guy that fishes. LOL

Here is a killer smoked trout dip recipe.  Flake/crumble  up the amount of smoked trout you want very fine.  Then add a 50/50 mixture of sour cream and mayonaise (enough to get a dip texture - i don't measure things).  Then add some lemon rind zest and a dash of hot sauce and some ground pepper.  Mix it up and let it sit for a few hours in the fridge.  Eat it on thin slices of baguette or crackers.  You won't have leftovers.

Edited by Canuck
  • Like 3

After a quick 3 hour float about on 3 ft rollers this morning and no fish and a leak in me bladder,I headed home and got busy busy.

Had trout to smoke and ribs to get happy on the indirect grill.

Trout brined for 20 hours,air dried for 4 hours while I was away fishing on the rollers. Had the trout smoking by 9:30 am. Ribs started at noon, 300 deg for 4 hours. Fish was done by 2pm ( a splash of Canadian maple and rum from France ) courtesy of my friend that I  smoked fish for  to take home to his parents, and the ribs  were done by 4 pm.  Home made sauce glaze for the piggly beast. Busy busy day.

DSCF4825.thumb.JPG.77e8c8fa9455e4e4cf8643708d71a74e.JPG

DSCF4826.thumb.JPG.287a30083f9434a6588dcdb8d44ef821.JPG

DSCF4829.thumb.JPG.7522d46615d1ed39758669e81fd2eecd.JPG

DSCF4827.thumb.JPG.015b71209e0e0b27d2cdbfcc248dd81d.JPG

DSCF4833.thumb.JPG.c23f74aa9e9201622526770569081898.JPG

30 minutes ago, misfish said:

After a quick 3 hour float about on 3 ft rollers this morning and no fish and a leak in me bladder,I headed home and got busy busy.

Had trout to smoke and ribs to get happy on the indirect grill.

Trout brined for 20 hours,air dried for 4 hours while I was away fishing on the rollers. Had the trout smoking by 9:30 am. Ribs started at noon, 300 deg for 4 hours. Fish was done by 2pm ( a splash of Canadian maple and rum from France ) courtesy of my friend that I  smoked fish for  to take home to his parents, and the ribs  were done by 4 pm.  Home made sauce glaze for the piggly beast. Busy busy day.

DSCF4825.thumb.JPG.77e8c8fa9455e4e4cf8643708d71a74e.JPG

DSCF4826.thumb.JPG.287a30083f9434a6588dcdb8d44ef821.JPG

DSCF4829.thumb.JPG.7522d46615d1ed39758669e81fd2eecd.JPG

DSCF4827.thumb.JPG.015b71209e0e0b27d2cdbfcc248dd81d.JPG

DSCF4833.thumb.JPG.c23f74aa9e9201622526770569081898.JPG

I knew this was coming! The Sparks is have finished we have lots of lights.

why are they called ‘pot lights’, you can’t with them. 

Looks good B. We are having REA sausages on the BBQ and I’m finally having fresh tomatoes from the yard, with basil and parsley and my homemade vinegar.

image.thumb.jpeg.555f6c9bb967f1f6778026df553559b6.jpegThis is my third time trying this, everything keeps getting mixed up and out of order and I can't find out how to delete the post.

Not exactly a cooking post but quite related. I grow 200 garlic each year, my favorite crop that gets used steady for a good ten months. Super easy to grow and close to free every year after.

So from just before removing scapes, to just before harvest, to curing for two or three weeks across a ladder, to final cure on the rack before going into the basement on that rack after final root and stem trimming.

image.thumb.jpeg.3ad5e591a0e7581ae63570da1c428edd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.261f5aac87a8b97b006d74f65c0f8ffa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ad796ca4e0c5828ce9ba9a19273b299b.jpeg

Edited by smitty55