cooking thread...

On 4/18/2019 at 2:34 PM, Headhunter said:

My daughter and I polished off the tray ourselves!!!!!

HH

There was a restaurant in Halifax (might still be there) called Five Fisherman, or a similar name.  They had a mussels bar, all you can eat mussels if you ordered any entree.  I believe they may have lost money on me...........<<<<BURP>>>>>?

• Haha 1

I've never done scallops other than in a fry pan. I bought 8 massive scallops Thursday. Tonight I pre fried some bacon to 1/2 done. Wrapped them in the bacon. They were so big the long strips of bacon just made it. 15 mins at 450F. I know you guys do this all the time but this was my 1st. Thank goodness 24 bucks for 8 scallops isn't in the budget other wise I would get back plus more than the 40 pounds I lost. 

Linguini in baby clam succo for Good Friday and a bag of PEI mussels marinara. Add the 1 1/2 baguettes I toasted and made garlic crostini was just marvelous, and way too much for 2 of us. I was also going to put the mussels right into the clam succo at the end. No way, too much great food. I was still full at lunch. We met at Swiss Chalet for lunch and I couldn't finish 1/4 chicken dinner. 

A heads up, I saw an add for a 2 for 1 dinner offered at Swiss Chalet on TV last night. I asked the waiter and he said yes, any $15.99 dinner was 2 for 1. They were not to mention it to dinners but if a customer asked it was indeed 2 for 1. Smooth. We were 14 of us for Dad's 92nd birthday, 3 generations, would have been 4 with Nono. Unfortunately he is in hospital for his birthday. Doesn't look good guys. Basically he has never been sick a day in his life, a cold, the flue maybe. 92 and he takes 2 Tylenol 3's every evening, that's it. Plus he worked 37 years in Steelmaking, that isn't stocking shelves at a pharmacy. Fish Farmer knows all about that place. He knows Dad from the plant. Dave must be pretty long in the tooth. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

18 hours ago, spincast said:

G asked for one of his faves for Easter. Peking duck on the spit  Didn't last long..... actually, I think G ate half the bird before he would have had time to get airborne

That should hold him over and get a few more trys. (sp?):thumbsup_anim:

On 4/21/2019 at 1:57 PM, misfish said:

That should hold him over and get a few more trys. (sp?):thumbsup_anim:

he's 16,  a meal is just a 30 minute break in a constant state of hunger. Might have the cash the RESP in to feed him...... Not too many scoring chances as scrum half, but he did score once in a tourney last week.

What another great weekend here. NOT. Decided to strip cut some venison chops and steaks,marinade and getting happy happy right now. Going to try and add some smoke to them Sunday morning, then put in the oven on racks on low and see if I get jerk strips. First try at this. While they are getting happy ,I made up a meat loaf that is rolled up and wrapped in the fridge getting happy happy as well. Fried up some red peppers and shrooms. Tater,s are waiting for a boil. They will be mashed with butter,dill,and some sour cream. No milk. Deciding which glaze to make right now for the roasted beast. Pic to follow.LOL

There ya go Joe,I'm cooking something.LOL

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Put them in at 9am. Will leave until dried. Probly 8 hours with this weather here. Have the smoker in the sun out of the wind to get as much heat as possible.

DSCF4688.thumb.JPG.c74dd8d440568f99cc306266370f0388.JPG

You will almost certainly need to finish them in the oven.  I suggest no more than three pans of wood chips...........and good luck!
Doug

35 minutes ago, akaShag said:

You will almost certainly need to finish them in the oven.  I suggest no more than three pans of wood chips...........and good luck!

You would be correct. Sun has moved and getting cooler again. They are half way done. I put them in the oven 250 deg. I used 2 pans of chips Doug.

17 minutes ago, misfish said:

You would be correct. Sun has moved and getting cooler again. They are half way done. I put them in the oven 250 deg. I used 2 pans of chips Doug.

You learn well, Grasshopper!  ?

If you want jerky consistency, you might want to drop the oven to 200 and leave the door open a crack at the top

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, akaShag said:

You learn well, Grasshopper!  ?

If you want jerky consistency, you might want to drop the oven to 200 and leave the door open a crack at the top

Put a maple syrup crack pepper at the end.

I am happy with my first try.

Thanks Doug,that tip was the ticket.

Delicious

DSCF4692.thumb.JPG.710594a6728df773b8dc903f39783c29.JPG

Another drudgery day. I tried for some perch this morning. Even the corm,s were coming up empty.

Headed home and smoked some salmon. No frills had it on sale. I grabbed a chunk that had 2 days left til expired and was 30% off.:thumbsup_anim:

Will slice thin and lay on crackers with cream cheese for my fellow co workers on Monday. I sampled and well,it was good.No,it was great.:good:

DSCF4694.thumb.JPG.8d01e20e94e4298222860a0a0499d8f6.JPG

Looking forward to next weekend. Need me some smoked white fish.:Gonefishing:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, misfish said:

Nothing wrong with that Chris. Well the bean brand leaves a bit to desire. I am hooked on Bush Beans since the bama byes introduced them to me.

I very much like Bush brand as well Brian (when I haven't time to make my own), but it's what I had in the cupboard.   ;)

• Like 1

Well I have 2 whities in the smoker. Using sugar maple chips today. Trying something new besides apple chips. I am only going with 2 smokes this time,as the chunks are big and smoke like crazy.

1309485353_Snapshot1(2019-06-021-45PM).jpg.b790d254bb8865fc085a9a9c0dfdb14d.jpg

1384335939_Snapshot2(2019-06-021-45PM).jpg.4671b419d55360349549d6f455ae8251.jpg

Edited by misfish