cooking thread...

16 minutes ago, akaShag said:

What to do with these 2 fine fish ?????????????

Well..............................you could put them aside for me and I could swap you some venison for whities.............?

Is bartering allowed for this kind of exchange in Ontario? I seen it,s ok North of 60. White fish for seal oil.  :canadian:

17 hours ago, misfish said:

Is bartering allowed for this kind of exchange in Ontario? I seen it,s ok North of 60. White fish for seal oil.  :canadian:

It is absolutely illegal to barter fish and wildlife in Ontario, and I was just joking.

But you are free to GIVE somebody a taste of whitefish...............?

Doug

• Haha 1

A friend (Bill Shearer) dropped by the other day and gave me a fresh 7 lb Brisket so I went to work on it yesterday.

I cut it into 3 manageable pieces, then seared it in my 6.5 litre Dutch Oven.
Afterwards I simmered up a Mirepoix, threw the meat back in on top with garlic and seasonings, dumped a bottle of wine in and let 'er simmer low and slow for the afternoon. Afterwards I removed the Brisket, pureed the stock with my immersion blender and thickened 'er with a home made dark Roux.

Yippeeeeeee! It was delicious.

BRSK1.jpg

BRSK3.jpg

BRSK4.jpg

BRSK5.jpg

BRSK6.jpg

BRSK7.jpg

BRSK8.jpg

On 1/8/2019 at 8:05 PM, akaShag said:

YEAH MAN!!!!!

(But psst, don't tell OIM..........................?

Onions!! Onions you say. If you like onions in clam sauce you put in as many as you wish. My wife made her creamy Clam chowduh today. It has green onions in it.

Nothing wrong with Spaghettini or even Angel Hair for a seafood dish. Many restaurants serve Brodetto which is a seafood stew over Angel hair in a bowl. It's like a bouillabaisse. When I make a pot it costs $100.00 for the seafood, from lobster to crab legs , huge Scampi to Skate. When it's done a large piece of a hard flesh fish is placed on top and covered and it is basically steamed such as Cod or Marlutzzo (sic), Italian for something I can't remember. It is traditionally served over Polenta spread out on a large board on the table or as I said Angel hair in a bowl and then covered in the Brodetto. Well worth it. 

A good friend is here for a few days helping me out as I am 10 months into a 7 week reno. He made a tomato pasta sauce with Venison back strap today. He actually put an onion in it !!!!!!!! He was born in Italy. Man that was good, still is because there's enough for 5 more meals. To be totally honest I don't know what the big thing Venison is, don't get me wrong it was good but not anything different than lean beef to me, my wife didn't know she ate Bambi. He marinated it over night. It was served with Pennini Regatta (mini Penne with ridges. That stuff is lean. He put a piece of pork fat in the succo. 

For some reason I posted a few things about onions of course and they didn't show up here. I am sure it's me or my PC. Most likely me. 

I was told by my brother that shot Bambi, just like fishing it isn't the destination it is the journey. I would say a pound of Walleye catching them in the boat 10 miles off shore I could buy it in Dover at 1/2 price. or less, that's no fun. That's no fun. 

Does anyone have a good corned beef recipe using brisket? That brisket you made Speil made looks phenomenal. St. Paddy's day is today so I'm a bit late.

Today is our 26th anniversary. Some day she might Marry me. A 24 year engagement is well past the statutory limitation for a Diamond she says. Actually the stone fell out last Fall. I told her to take it in for a tune up every year. So now a months salary is 1/2 of what it was 25 years ago, Giant Tiger has nice rings.  No one listened to me at the Steel plant for 30 years so what else is new? 

Lets see if this posts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

For some reason I posted a few things about onions of course and they didn't show up here. I am sure it's me or my PC. Most likely me. 

I was told by my brother that shot Bambi, just like fishing it isn't the destination it is the journey. I would say a pound of Walleye catching them in the boat 10 miles off shore I could buy it in Dover at 1/2 price. or less, that's no fun. That's no fun. 

Does anyone have a good corned beef recipe using brisket? That brisket you made Speil made looks phenomenal. St. Paddy's day is today so I'm a bit late.

Today is our 26th anniversary. Some day she might Marry me. A 24 year engagement is well past the statutory limitation for a Diamond she says. Actually the stone fell out last Fall. I told her to take it in for a tune up every year. So now a months salary is 1/2 of what it was 25 years ago, Giant Tiger has nice rings.  No one listened to me at the Steel plant for 30 years so what else is new? 

Lets see if this posts.

That worked, OIM.

Venison that has been grain (or corn) fed, and properly cared for after it has been shot, will taste very much like lean beef.  Deer that mostly eats browse and mast (acorns etc) has a different flavour, which I would describe as richer.  You would notice a difference between that and beef.  Deer that the hunter has handled poorly in the field will taste "gamey" and in some cases is completely unpalatable.  Failure to clean it right away, or cut out badly shot-damaged tissue, or allowing the carcass to stay warm, either by not skinning it or storing it when the temperature is too warm, all these things can make for pretty crappy venison.  If a carcass smells bad, there is nothing a butcher can do to rescue it.

BTW you can tell your lady friend from me that 26 years is one year more than a life sentence.  ?

Doug

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

That works for me Joe.:good:

I decided to feed the co-workers lunch today for my birthday. Made pulled pork in the slow cooker, slaw , to go on the buns, and a ceaser crab salad for wraps. I didnt know it was a no meat week for some. Oh well, more for me. Silly traditions.  LOL

I have a ten lb Prime Rib nestled in the fridge for my son's birthday on Friday. We usually don't eat "meat" on Good Friday, but we're bending the rules for his birthday... and no, I am not the religious type, just kinda following our family tradition.

HH

37 minutes ago, misfish said:

Want a new taste to egg salad ? Add crumbled feta cheese to it. OMG.

Probly nothing new to some,but to me it is. I just thought I would try it.  WINNER.

Or chop some TOFU into it!

Or add cooked textured vegetable protein!!!

(Can you tell I am not a fan of feta cheese?)?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Headhunter said:

We call this a "mixed grill". When we can't decide what we want, we mix it up!

Jerk chicken wings, mussels in olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, onions and one head of garlic, crushed. Brats as well.

HH20190413_171158.thumb.jpg.b4f8c24acf305e7b01598b1eea1406fc.jpg

Nice Combo. Never cooked mussels on the bbq before. Usually just steam them with wine, shallots and garlic.

22 hours ago, Headhunter said:

We call this a "mixed grill". When we can't decide what we want, we mix it up!

Jerk chicken wings, mussels in olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, onions and one head of garlic, crushed. Brats as well.

I'd be all over those Mussels Joe, mine, mine all mine!

• Like 1

Seasoning for the mussels, in a big bowl...

-1/4 cup of olive oil

-one head of garlic, crushed

-1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar

-1/4 cup of white wine

-5 green onions chopped

-one sweet onion chopped

-kosher salt and pepper

-one chopped tomato

-chopped parsley

Add the mussels to the mixture and stir making sure all the mussels are coated. Pour onto a baking sheet and cook at medium heat until all the mussels have opened... about 10 minutes. Stir them up and cook for 5 more minutes to ensure that all the mussels are cooked.

Dump the cooked mussels in a bowl and serve. I lined the baking tray with aluminum foil for easy clean up.

HH

PS... I have also seen it done where the mussels are placed right on the grill, no tray.

PSS... cooking time will vary based on the size of the mussels and how high they are pilled. Check every couple of minutes after 5, to ensure that you don't dry them out.

Edited by Headhunter
More info
  • Like 1