cooking thread...

Thanks!  I looked up that on You Tube and saw how one person made it, very interesting indeed.  I had an acquaintance, of Italian heritage, who made something very much like this, that he put in his cold cellar for quite a long period of time, I think two to three months.

I wish I had a cold cellar like that to make some of this stuff!

Doug

Edited by akaShag
spelling

That’s correct Doug. It does take two months or so. We actually use a hot roasted pepper sauce that we mix into the meat. I find it too smoky tasting. Different areas have different recipes and methods. The netting is Canadian adapted in Europe they used string with butcher knots to keep it tight. Prosciutto is also mad that way but you better know what you are doing or it’s garbage. I will never attempt it. 

I’ll  do It as long as I’m able and pass it on.  mixing the meat takes about an hour by hand. Two legs works out to about 27 of them and cost $5 each or so.  Hei a good Saturday amorning workout. And I’m doing some for family this Saturday. good excuse to eat some from last year!!!

Last night it was "Crappies Supreme."  A bed of cooked brown rice, a layer of crappie fillets on top, then a sauce made with sauteed Vidalias (in Becel and a bit of bacon fat), ground nutmeg, ground pepper, a can of Cream of Cheddar Cheese soup, about 6 to 7 ounces of 10% cream, a small can of crab meat, all heated and bubbly and poured all over the fillets, then a sprinkle with smoked paprika and a handful of grated "Italiano" cheese.  Into the oven at 400 for a half-hour.  FABULOUS!

10 hours ago, misfish said:

What else are you going to do with your retirement. You dont fish.

They look good pizzan

B I fish once a week, eat fish twice a week. Salmon and Trout at COSTCO is amazing. No tent or heater needed. I do miss Simcoe a lot though. 

Tomorrow I’m making some for my brother, his supplier backed out. So who am I to say no to him, a plumber and gas guy with lots of contacts.

It sure is worth the 2 months before the Supressate is ready. You are looking at  about 500 bucks or more of Salumutti. Minimum $500.00 because I am guessing the weight. Nice looking Albert. I miss those days, not the work but the Family all working together, from going to the farm, killing the Pig all the way to the table. A nice size Genoa salami lasts us 3 months or more. We don't have a Cantina here and that's important. I've tried drying sausages in a fridge on racks but lost more than were good. 

9 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

It sure is worth the 2 months before the Supressate is ready. You are looking at  about 500 bucks or more of Salumutti. Minimum $500.00 because I am guessing the weight. Nice looking Albert. I miss those days, not the work but the Family all working together, from going to the farm, killing the Pig all the way to the table. A nice size Genoa salami lasts us 3 months or more. We don't have a Cantina here and that's important. I've tried drying sausages in a fridge on racks but lost more than were good. 

Not 500 just over 135 for 27 of them. I just let my butcher do the upfont stuff. I mix and spice and cure. And the kids eat them!!!!

3 hours ago, ketchenany said:

Not 500 just over 135 for 27 of them. I just let my butcher do the upfont stuff. I mix and spice and cure. And the kids eat them!!!!

Retail price $500.00, probably more. A small Salametti or Suprassate at Fortinos is 10 bucks or more!. And I mean small, a few hundred grams!!!!!!

Edited by Old Ironmaker

A not bad Prosciutto is more a kilo than Lobster. The sin is I never ate all the home made stuff until I was in my mid 20's after I stopped playing ball. I always helped but refused to eat it. Too fattening, what a mamaluce. (mama lewk) Os there such a word Albert? I was called that on many an occasion. Gabrone is another word I was called.  I can still hear my Father freaking on my brother because he would cut off a huge piece of something and eating it without pane. "What no bread Jimmy?" 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Never heard of such words. I learned from my wife’s side after I got married.  My kids never helped at all. Just ate, the best part was when the meat was spiced and had to fry some up to check the spicing, if one of the kids wasn’t there we would save some and make when they arrived.

Back  in Europe where I come from they didn’t make much. My father sold most his proscitto’s to a Roman butcher who did the curing and he sold them again!!! Salami and supresatte were not used at all. 

I just finished mixing a batch and tomorrow pack them and start the curing process. They better be good I need a lot of plumbing work done free! 

My Father will be 92 this April God willing. He is the last of the old timers in our family that made the Prosciutto's. Getting that vein out and the perfect amount of salt is the key I learned otherwise the entire thing is a waste. My brother does the fresh and dried sausages just like he did. I'm better at eating than making. We have an Italian guy at the club that makes and sells the salami's, sausages and prosciutto etc.and sells them for cheap. 4 bucks a pound for fresh sausages, I can't make it for less than that. Zero shrinkage. I like mine hot with fennel. 

On 2/6/2019 at 12:39 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

call me a dinosaur but I refuse to text. Want to talk? Call me. To me it's like "Ya I want to communicate but your'e not important enough to move my lips." 

I feel very differently. Texting is a welcome, great achievement in communication. 

Telephoning - even the pre-cellphone regular telephone - was always a very interruptive technology. If you were in the middle of dinner, and the phone rang, people stopped whatever they were doing to go answer the phone.

Texting allows you to exchange the necessary information quickly and easily. Most people text at a flat rate cost across the entire country. I remember the horror of the old days of telephone long distance charges, and having to wait until the Sunday cheap rates kicked in just to find out anything about what was going on between friends and family. 

Families (parents and their children) disperse across the province, country and globe, and texting allows them all to disseminate nuggets of their lives to each other, unintrusively  and easily, almost as though they were still together. They keep each other informed. It’s not as good as being together in person, but at least the information can still flow between them quickly and constantly. 

Unfortunately, some people lose their hearing as they age, or have it degrade to the point of asking for repeating constantly.  Texting allows them to maintain communication. Texting also helps bridge the huge gap between the deaf and the hearing communities in a way not possible in the 20th century.

The age 14 to 30 group use texting as a very important part of their communications repertoire because they’ve had it available all along. They won’t shift back to the communication models of the 1900’s.

Edited by MJIG

48 minutes ago, MJIG said:

I feel very differently. Texting is a welcome, great achievement in communication. 

Telephoning - even the pre-cellphone regular telephone - was always a very interruptive technology. If you were in the middle of dinner, and the phone rang, people stopped whatever they were doing to go answer the phone.

Texting allows you to exchange the necessary information quickly and easily. Most people text at a flat rate cost across the entire country. I remember the horror of the old days of telephone long distance charges, and having to wait until the Sunday cheap rates kicked in just to find out anything about what was going on between friends and family. 

Families (parents and their children) disperse across the province, country and globe, and texting allows them all to disseminate nuggets of their lives to each other, unintrusively  and easily, almost as though they were still together. They keep each other informed. It’s not as good as being together in person, but at least the information can still flow between them quickly and constantly. 

Unfortunately, some people lose their hearing as they age, or have it degrade to the point of asking for repeating constantly.  Texting allows them to maintain communication. Texting also helps bridge the huge gap between the deaf and the hearing communities in a way not possible in the 20th century.

The age 14 to 30 group use texting as a very important part of their communications repertoire because they’ve had it available all along. They won’t shift back to the communication models of the 1900’s.

Uhmmmm..... sounds delicious...? Not sure what this has to do with a cooking thread. 

20 minutes ago, Gerritt said:

Uhmmmm..... sounds delicious...? Not sure what this has to do with a cooking thread. 

Ya, text me a recipe.

MJIG, very well put. Are you a defence lawyer? I have to admit there are times to text and times to stick to the cooking thread at hand. As far as jumping when the phone rang at dinner, what's the difference when all the phones start dinging at dinner? There will not be any texting at our table when we have cooked dinner for 18, or more. It used to be "Knives and Guns in the basket." Now it's "cell phones in the basket before you sit at our dinner table." Then I get "Oh Uncle Johnny you are so old fashioned."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 11:38 AM, Old Ironmaker said:

There will not be any texting at our table when we have cooked dinner for 18, or more. It used to be "Knives and Guns in the basket." Now it's "cell phones in the basket before you sit at our dinner table." Then I get "Oh Uncle Johnny you are so old fashioned."

JD,  That is the way to make a great time over dinner--- no phones.  I have a "BASKET"  in our house also.

JMHO,   npt1))))))))))))))))))

• 2 weeks later...

Well you got one part right. Wont be needing a heater. Had a nice feeler bowl full. It,s going to be even better in a day or two Doug. Shame I had to use can shrooms. But, back from fishing,clean fish,have a cold one and well,one and I do not go. No biggie,I am stocked for heat.LOL

What to do with these 2 fine fish ?????????????

DSCF4634.thumb.JPG.91467885811cff355695472666aec78e.JPG

I decided to pouch them. Smoother with garlic butter and lay around a pod of fried rice.  Works for me. I ate a whole one. That was just rude,but me loves my white fish.:canadian:

90% of the blood line removed. Nasty crap that is.

DSCF4644.thumb.JPG.358db58112cc32bb59fe3ec8cda505b7.JPG

DSCF4643.thumb.JPG.09cca31b6e1ab488b05df6ea21a05aea.JPG

DSCF4648.thumb.JPG.3d3f06143b0bf65e003dced48bf85003.JPG

DSCF4651.thumb.JPG.91d2b6ba867ec2debae0198781e6d9eb.JPG