cooking thread...

and PS to Brian, pretty much ANY fish works fine for chowder.  Whitefish is very good, steelhead and salmon are great, don't think I ever tried it with lake trout, but I would tend NOT to use a Simcoe laker because of the fat content.  Many years ago, I would see bags of miscellaneous seafood in the frozen fish section of the grocery store - bits of squid, octopus, you name it, and I used to add that to my chowders.  Nowadays, I see most of that stuff is labelled as coming from China, and in general if a food comes from China it does not go into my mouth.  I don't trust their quality control...........

24 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Many years ago, I would see bags of miscellaneous seafood in the frozen fish section of the grocery store - bits of squid, octopus, you name it, and I used to add that to my chowders. 

They call it, seafood melody.  

Anyone from Sudbury?  I lived there from 73 to 81 and Dads favourite place to take the family out for dinner was Teklenburg’s. Their fish chowder was simple and hearty. Not a cream base, but clear broth with vegs fish and the seasoning was probably Italian.  Definely lots of oregano.  Still my favourite way to make plain fish chowder like whitefish.  

Well that sucks. I had my heart set on fresh Southern Carolina Clams Linguine for dinner, and even though I grocery shopped this morning I was certain I had Linguine in house so I didn't buy any. I even had fresh made in my hand.....DOH! Wrong!
So I made do with Spaghettini , it was all good, trust me. 1f609.png

I few fave ingredients and a lot of love.......oh so good.

clams1.jpg

clams2.jpg

clams3.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, misfish said:

From the lake,to the pan to the belly. No fresher then that. Minus the peppers and avacado. LOL

Lol be adventurous. Chop up those pepper slices, saute in butter and then ad in chopped avocado and cook down to soft. Add in fresh minced garlic for the last minute or two and try it like that on your bread with the fish. It's like a custom spread of sorts instead of raw chunks over powering the fish.

Cheers

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, akaShag said:

back to smitty..........the way I avoid overpowering the fish is to eat it without all of those vegetables and stuff.  Remember, vegetables are what FOOD eats.

Doug

I hear you Dougie, but fish tacos seem to be a very popular thing these days.

Cheers

My first time making a Spicy Black Bean Soup. The dried beans were pre soaked for about 30 hours.
My daughters  bowl then mine, topped with Avocado slices, grated Pecorino Romano, Nacho chips and some bakery fresh Sour Dough bread.
It was very, very good.   :)

bbs1.jpg

bbs2.jpg

bbs3.jpg

bbs4.jpg

bbs5.jpg

• Like 1

Mmmmmm, hearty and seasonal.

On Tuesday I made a spicy Cajun Black & Kidney Bean soup from some of the left over Cajun seasoned Beef Roast I did on Monday with my Sous Vide. So delicious. Lot's to portion and freeze this afternoon. 1f642.png

More of the roast for dinner tonight.

bsoupa.jpg

bsoup.jpg

On 1/19/2019 at 9:57 AM, Spiel said:

My first time making a Spicy Black Bean Soup. The dried beans were pre soaked for about 30 hours.
My daughters  bowl then mine, topped with Avocado slices, grated Pecorino Romano, Nacho chips and some bakery fresh Sour Dough bread.
It was very, very good.   :)

bbs1.jpg

bbs2.jpg

bbs3.jpg

bbs4.jpg

bbs5.jpg

This looks amazing. Perfect cold weather meal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, akaShag said:

Tonight's chowder was a re-heat from a batch I froze last spring.

Bacon, celery, Vidalia onions, potatoes, clams, shrimp, perch, mussels, who knows what else, no salmon in this bunch but I often throw in a jar of my hand-canned salmon and sometimes smoked salmon as well.  I served it as an appetizer (no bread or anything) and my wife declared that the chowder WAS supper.  Guess I will have a roast chicken sandwich for dessert.

That sounds fantastic, including the onions! I never thought I would see the day King Crab legs cost less than Sirloin steak. Saw theta yesterday at Fortino's in Hamilton.

Speil, knowing you are a smart shopper I bet you get your Parm cheese at Silerno's factory retail store off Parkdale. One of those big bags last us 7 months. The price 7 months ago was 34 bucks, yesterday the same bag is now $45.00 !! And the nice lady at the cash had to point it out. Believe it or not it still is a great deal compared tp buying small bags at Fortino's. I also like the specialty dry pastas they have that you will never find anywhere else. Not exactly cheap but what are you going to do? Check out all the mini pastas, great for soups. I am probably preaching to the choir here. 

Rick is alive and well. He was in August at least. I find on forums people come and go and sometimes come back again. I hope he does, I love his tales of raising a family of a dozen or so kids, last count I think. By now it may be more. He is a baby makin' machine he is. He texted me but didn't see it for a month, call me a dinosaur but I refuse to text. Want to talk? Call me. To me it's like "Ya I want to communicate but your'e not important enough to move my lips." 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

7 minutes ago, akaShag said:

What are we looking at here?  Dry summer sausage, or ?????

These are an Italian delecy  made with pork butt and/or  shoulder . . . I just use the butt because it contain little fat. Supressate a bare translation maning they are pressed for a period after hanging time. I have and old cooler with spacing boards and I layer them and hold them down with 20 litres of water to keep the pressure, then hangand press again. Yes it’s labour intensive.

cured naturally with salt and spices and nothing else. temperature has to be right and the packing of the casing, NO air space. They can be bought at a dely such as Longos and Fortinos, Grande cheese. . . sliced fresh but they have preservatives.  It’s just keeping with tradition and they taste good too. We usually eat them with crusty bread, olives, egg plants  artichokes and cheese or roasted peppers. 

hope this helps.