cooking thread...

Last night it was Hot Smoked Candied Steelhead (aka Indian Candy), spot-tail prawns with pasta primavera, and bacon-wrapped halibut.  Steelhead from Chile, prawns from the Juan de Fuca Strait, halibut from Haida Gwaii.  No photos......................it was quite toothsome.

Doug

• Like 1

3 hours ago, misfish said:

I support local,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

Yeah, so did I when I lived down that way.  About a hundred days a year on the water for steelhead and salmon.  But that is all in my rear view mirror now, and now I BUY my steelhead already filleted and frozen.  Sad, ain't it............

• Haha 1

My wife got us a "Sous Vide" heater for Xmas.  Made up a storgage bin with a hole in the top for the water.  Used the vacuum sealer and did a batch of steaks at 130 degrees for 4 hrs, then quick sear on the Webber to put a char on them.  Wow!   Med rare edge to edge and butter knife tender.  Next I am going to try some cheaper cuts of steak and see how they come out.  

20 minutes ago, Canuck said:

My wife got us a "Sous Vide" heater for Xmas.  Made up a storgage bin with a hole in the top for the water.  Used the vacuum sealer and did a batch of steaks at 130 degrees for 4 hrs, then quick sear on the Webber to put a char on them.  Wow!   Med rare edge to edge and butter knife tender.  Next I am going to try some cheaper cuts of steak and see how they come out.  

I've been using a sous vide for few years now. You're gonna love it. Its a game changer. Perfectly cooked meat every time. 

33 minutes ago, bobowski said:

I've been using a sous vide for few years now. You're gonna love it. Its a game changer. Perfectly cooked meat every time. 

OK folks that also have a sous vide heater.  Lets get some recipe's out there!    Bobowski, have you ever done  cheaper steaks?  I am thinking some flank done in the sous vide, then grilled might be pretty awesome.  Although flank is not that cheap.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:33 PM, Tom S said:

Mmmm. Carbs. I love carbs.

No onions in Carbonara Tom. Maybe. 

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:59 PM, misfish said:

Who the heck uses that kraft crap anymore? LOL

The story I was told by relatives in Italy where the dish was to originate from is this. There were a group of sub contractors per say that travelled from farm to farm. Their job was to remove tree stumps from the fields, by hand. They were called Cafacoke, (spelling terribly incorrect). They travelled very light from farm to farm and cooked in the fields where they slept. Barns were off limits for a number of reasons including being a Gypsy. They always carried dry pasta, garlic, smoked pancetta and cheese which didn't need refrigeration. (onions spoil Tom).They bartered for eggs and cream from the farmer. They cooked it over the stumps of the trees they dug up. 

There ain't no cheese in anything that says Kraft on it. If you love Parma try Assiago. 

1 minute ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The story I was told by relatives in Italy where the dish was to originate from is this. There were a group of sub contractors per say that travelled from farm to farm. Their job was to remove tree stumps from the fields, by hand. They were called Cafacoke, (spelling terribly incorrect). They travelled very light from farm to farm and cooked in the fields where they slept. Barns were off limits for a number of reasons including being a Gypsy. They always carried dry pasta, garlic, smoked pancetta and cheese which didn't need refrigeration. (onions spoil Tom).They bartered for eggs and cream from the farmer. They cooked it over the stumps of the trees they dug up. Also if you use bacon buy the smokiest you can get.

There ain't no cheese in anything that says Kraft on it. If you love Parma try Assiago. 

12 hours ago, Canuck said:

OK folks that also have a sous vide heater.  Lets get some recipe's out there!    Bobowski, have you ever done  cheaper steaks?  I am thinking some flank done in the sous vide, then grilled might be pretty awesome.  Although flank is not that cheap.

yes. Works just the same. You can even cook a chimmichura sauce at the same time in the water bath to go with your flank. Just make sure not to sear thinner cuts of meat that long after the sous vide and i always let my meat cool for a few minutes  and dry it off before searing. 

10 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The story I was told by relatives in Italy where the dish was to originate from is this. There were a group of sub contractors per say that travelled from farm to farm. Their job was to remove tree stumps from the fields, by hand. They were called Cafacoke, (spelling terribly incorrect). They travelled very light from farm to farm and cooked in the fields where they slept. Barns were off limits for a number of reasons including being a Gypsy. They always carried dry pasta, garlic, smoked pancetta and cheese which didn't need refrigeration. (onions spoil Tom).They bartered for eggs and cream from the farmer. They cooked it over the stumps of the trees they dug up. 

Why are you busting my cojones? It's Spiel's dish. Onions sound good to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, Tom S said:

Why are you busting my cojones? It's Spiel's dish. Onions sound good to me.

Details, details. I need to make that eye appt. I cancelled 6 months ago. Prescription glasses are useless for me. Some weeks I can't see a think and can go weeks without them, Diabetes vision. Plus am guaranteed to lose them. If I pay 20 bucks for Shoppers specs they last until they fall apart. I rarely use onions in anything. 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:21 AM, Spiel said:

I can put in what ever want and I wanted onions.  :D

You can put them on Corn Flakes, that's why cooking can be whatever you want it to be. I'm a traditionalist, not just cooking but will tweek dishes.  I don't use them often, beef Taco's and homefries I do always. But I go through a lot of red onion in salads and a bag of shallots every few weeks. 

18 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

You can put them on Corn Flakes, that's why cooking can be whatever you want it to be. I'm a traditionalist, not just cooking but will tweek dishes.  I don't use them often, beef Taco's and homefries I do always. But I go through a lot of red onion in salads and a bag of shallots every few weeks. 

I was improvising John and I had an onion that was at the use it or lose stage so being cheap, I used it.  ;)

On 1/3/2019 at 7:44 AM, bobowski said:

yes. Works just the same. You can even cook a chimmichura sauce at the same time in the water bath to go with your flank. Just make sure not to sear thinner cuts of meat that long after the sous vide and i always let my meat cool for a few minutes  and dry it off before searing. 

A lot of people who really go after the "edge to edge consistency" do an ice bath quickly after cooking before searing. Works well!

22 hours ago, leaf4 said:

A lot of people who really go after the "edge to edge consistency" do an ice bath quickly after cooking before searing. Works well!

My son, who has some professional chefs training, said that a cast iron pan sear comes out better than BBQ searing. May try that next. 

Edited by Canuck
  • Like 1

Tonight's chowder was a re-heat from a batch I froze last spring.

Bacon, celery, Vidalia onions, potatoes, clams, shrimp, perch, mussels, who knows what else, no salmon in this bunch but I often throw in a jar of my hand-canned salmon and sometimes smoked salmon as well.  I served it as an appetizer (no bread or anything) and my wife declared that the chowder WAS supper.  Guess I will have a roast chicken sandwich for dessert.

23 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Tonight's chowder was a re-heat from a batch I froze last spring.

Bacon, celery, Vidalia onions, potatoes, clams, shrimp, perch, mussels, who knows what else, no salmon in this bunch but I often throw in a jar of my hand-canned salmon and sometimes smoked salmon as well.  I served it as an appetizer (no bread or anything) and my wife declared that the chowder WAS supper.  Guess I will have a roast chicken sandwich for dessert.

Funny you post this.

I love a good chowder. Today I had a can of PC Boston clam chowder. I do have to say, it was not bad. Then I said toself,I can make my own.

Well, today, I ask Doug how I can make his,and make my own.

Oh the shame,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doctor Doug's Panfish Chowder, from the archives:

I often make a chowder with panfish.  Roughly:

four to six slices of bacon, cut into small pieces

a tablespoon of margarine

4-5 pieces of celery, diced

1 large sweet onion, diced

2-3 litres of water

about six cups of diced potatoes

50 to 60 panfish fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces

Cream (optional)

salt and pepper

Cook the bacon pieces until they are just barely cooked, not crispy, then add the margarine, onions, and celery and saute on medium heat until the veggies are just about cooked.  Add the water and potatoes and turn to medium-high, stirring fairly often, until the potatoes are cooked.  The amount of liquid must COVER the potatoes and have maybe a quarter-inch over top of them:  that is why I said 2-3 liters, it will depend on your pot.  Once the potatoes are cooked, add the fillets and cook on medium for about ten minutes, stirring often.  Add the seasonings, taste it, and see if you do or do not want to add cream.  Cream basically provides texture (and fat!)

If you like clams in your chowder, open two cans of baby clams and drain the liquid into the pot when you put in the water and potatoes, and add the clams when you add the fish.

Enjoy!

Doug

Addendum 5 May 16:  I added the shrimp from a shrimp ring, plus one 250 ml jar of my own canned Sockeye, and both ingredients complement the flavour of the chowder very well.  So would scallops, but they are pricey.

Addendum 15 Jan 18:  I also added a bag of mussel meat.

CANNING:  I have not yet tried to can this chowder but it appears possible.  One warning seen several times is not to use 1 litre (quart) jars for canning.  Can HOT chowder at 11 pounds pressure for 100 minutes, in PINT or HALF-PINT jars only.