cooking thread...

I am happy with the little chief,my first,never will forget it and will keep it, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If I want to smoke 12 months of the year, I need to find me a 12 month of the year smoker.

With that said, I thought I would take advantage of this mild weather and do a smoke. First to get some fish. Did. Then I wanted to try brisket. So I seen on sale and bought and gave it a go. Ya I cheated, got one already cured. Safer for me to buy then try right curing self for now. I am very nervous about nitrites. Do not want to get it wrong

ANYHOO

Did the beast today. 2 hours of smoke and the rest in the oven to finish. Very damp cold today. Not as warm as they called for. Nice light dinner tonight was on my mind. YUMMY. Smoke was perfect. While the beast was yonder way, steel head was bathing, and is now in the fridge getting sticky and ready for Sunday afternoon smoke.

Busy day, I must say.

Dp54nfJ.jpg?1

ZeaYTtw.jpg?1

No9ZoRa.jpg?1

jlIcXNI.jpg?1

klw4hZz.jpg?1

kFHCsDO.jpg?1

Now to look at the many smokers out there that will serve my purpose. I am thinking I will stay electric. Have heard propane is very hard to control, and needs to be watched more.

Hope ya all had a great Saturday.

Edited by misfish
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, misfish said:

Now to look at the many smokers out there that will serve my purpose. I am thinking I will stay electric. Have heard propane is very hard to control, and needs to be watched more.

I have three smokers Brian, a Little Cheif, a Propane one and the new electric one I mentioned to you yesterday.

The propane one see no use, I don't like it.

Ya my pop has the propane one. First attemped he had a passer by stop and tell him his house was on fire, there was so much smoke coming from it.LOL TOOOOOOO HOT.

Like I said,I,ll stick with a electric. Watch when they are on sale at TSC.

EDIT..........

Perfect day to do those fillets. No wind and the sun is beating down on the smoker. :good:

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, misfish said:

Ya my pop has the propane one. First attemped he had a passer by stop and tell him his house was on fire, there was so much smoke coming from it.LOL TOOOOOOO HOT.

Like I said,I,ll stick with a electric. Watch when they are on sale at TSC.

I picked up the Masterbilt one from them last year when they went on sale. Really like it. Way cheaper than the  Bradley, uses any chips, and the cold smoke box works great and is not too expensive.

20 minutes ago, spincast said:

I picked up the Masterbilt one from them last year when they went on sale. Really like it. Way cheaper than the  Bradley, uses any chips, and the cold smoke box works great and is not too expensive.

That would be good for cheese. Something I want to do.

Take one wild Turkey Breast and brine it over night.

Then this morning it was filleted open and flattened with my tenderizing hammer. Then covered in Sun Dried Tomato Pesto, layered with Prosciutto and Swiss Cheese then rolled up.

Final touch, a blanket weave of Maple Bacon.

And now, just about to pop it in the smoker.  :)

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

T3.jpg

T4.jpg

T5.jpg

T6.jpg

T7.jpg

T8.jpg

T9.jpg

• Like 2

back to Spiel.................WOW.  Just freakin' WOW!!!!!

back to Brian, I use my Big Chief smoker 12 months a year, I just use a cardboard box over it when it is windy and/or cold.  If it is REALLY cold, it just takes longer in the smoker and/or I finish the stuff in the oven.  But almost always, I just use the smoker.

I did a big batch of Steelhead Indian Candy over the weekend in a Bradley digital smoker, never tried one of those before and there was a learning curve for sure.  But I LIKE it.  No need to hover like a mother hen waiting to put on a new pan of smoker chips.  And the temperature control seemed to work very well indeed.  The racks cleaned up a LOT easier that my several Luhr Jensen smoker racks over the years also.  And I understand that there is a work-around for making your own wood chip pucks for them.  More research is needed here but I am thinking a Bradley Digital Smoker just might be in my future plans...................

I am doing 6 kilos of side bacon tomorrow..............?

.........................but in my Big Chief!  I did get to Costco while they had the pork bellies on sale for $8.99 a kilo, just north of four bucks a pound, and I bought two big packages of the leanest stuff, total of 18 pieces.  They have been brining for a week now.

Doug

• Like 1

Venison sirloin roast is on the agenda for tonight's dinner. Like I have mentioned before,I like the taste of the game,so try to stay away from to many ingredients. Simple mushroom,onion and a globe of garlic. Press fresh pepper in to the meat. Add the tomato when it,s an hour or so away.

This will be plated over a nice layer rice.

I was going to do a smoke before the slow cooker,but kinda slept in this morning. Dam that music thread. LOL

DSCF4570.thumb.JPG.b584dd3d1cc810e4f5c0da6511dd9b14.JPGDSCF4571.thumb.JPG.057022904d63d1fbd71326ad27df0a21.JPGDSCF4572.thumb.JPG.6f929c56ab38e190b38e060dd0550b4c.JPGDSCF4574.thumb.JPG.2de393d1551f85d64ed94d79aa9c980b.JPGDSCF4575.thumb.JPG.4b0205419d307a21f93689ce9a3d1e69.JPG

Edit to add, I like the drop picture feature. Thanks Wayne.

Edited by misfish
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, misfish said:

Your party must of ended before mine. LOL

Look forward to the finish Chris. I take it those are wet brine ? I can not seem to get one I like.

Yes, a simple wet brine of 48 hours, cause I failed to get it going 24 hours sooner. Might have been the music.  ;)