cooking thread...

Shag, thanks for the drawing. But it doesn't answer the question. That drawing calls the entire upper back the loin. There can be 3 cuts, loin, tenderloin and backstrap, nes pas? 

Any burger, death dog, sangwitch etc. is only as good as the bread, You can make a lobster roll and add a stale bun and it is garbage. 

16 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Shag, thanks for the drawing. But it doesn't answer the question. That drawing calls the entire upper back the loin. There can be 3 cuts, loin, tenderloin and backstrap, nes pas? 

Any burger, death dog, sangwitch etc. is only as good as the bread, You can make a lobster roll and add a stale bun and it is garbage. 

Yea the drawing does not show the tenderloin. OI loin and backstrap is the same thing, the tenderloin is under the spine in the body cavity, usually accessed after the animal is gutted.

Cheers

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

what smitty said.

But anyways, back to the problem of how to cook the cuts you have, my answer is pan-fry them to no more than medium rare.  Enjoy!

Thanks guys. Today I simply did the loin aka backstrap whole in a pan on high with a bit of sea salt, pepper in EVO (extra virgin olive oil) then once it had a good crust on it gave it a splash of red wine to get any crusty bits from the pan, left it in the pan covered on a lower heat for a while until the wine was pretty well gone. Sauteed some brown mushrooms in the same pan while the meat rested. Let it rest for 5 minutes and sliced it in 1" medallions. There was a bit of sauce in the pan. Laid 2 pieces on a small bed of Yukon Gold mashed taters and drizzled the sauce over it. It was nice and tender and medium rare. It was great for me but drier than I would like, the wife took 1 bite and said not for her. More for me!! The next one I do I am going to cook it in some pork fat and play with some spices, probably Montreal Steak Spice. I use that as my house spice, it goes with all meats and even chicken. It sure isn't on my diabetic diet but a few meals every few years won't kill me. 

A tip I was given by my sis in law for doing sliced shrooms in the pan is to give them a small  splash of low sodium Soya Sauce when they are almost done. Never salt mushrooms until after they are done, draws out too much water, with the Soya no salt needed, ground pepper is OK. I slice mushrooms no thinner than  5/8ths to a 1/2". I find thinner they loose far too much moisture and shrink. 

If you are using that finely ground pepper that comes pre ground go out and buy a pepper mill and grind whole black pepper. While you are at it buy a second mill for sea salt.  President's Choice sells Mediterranean Sea Salt and Whole Pepper cloves in it's own grinder.  

Edited by Old Ironmaker

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Thanks guys. Today I simply did the loin aka backstrap whole in a pan on high with a bit of sea salt, pepper in EVO (extra virgin olive oil) then once it had a good crust on it gave it a splash of red wine to get any crusty bits from the pan, left it in the pan covered on a lower heat for a while until the wine was pretty well gone. Sauteed some brown mushrooms in the same pan while the meat rested. Let it rest for 5 minutes and sliced it in 1" medallions. There was a bit of sauce in the pan. Laid 2 pieces on a small bed of Yukon Gold mashed taters and drizzled the sauce over it. It was nice and tender and medium rare. It was great for me but drier than I would like, the wife took 1 bite and said not for her. More for me!! The next one I do I am going to cook it in some pork fat and play with some spices, probably Montreal Steak Spice. I use that as my house spice, it goes with all meats and even chicken. It sure isn't on my diabetic diet but a few meals every few years won't kill me. 

A tip I was given by my sis in law for doing sliced shrooms in the pan is to give them a small  splash of low sodium Soya Sauce when they are almost done. Never salt mushrooms until after they are done, draws out too much water, with the Soya no salt needed, ground pepper is OK. I slice mushrooms no thinner than  5/8ths to a 1/2". I find thinner they loose far too much moisture and shrink. 

If you are using that finely ground pepper that comes pre ground go out and buy a pepper mill and grind whole black pepper. While you are at it buy a second mill for sea salt.  President's Choice sells Mediterranean Sea Salt and Whole Pepper cloves in it's own grinder.  

YES!

And a dash of garlic powder on the mushrooms, and a sprinkle of lemon juice, with the soya sauce, and you have Mushrooms Marcellaise.

2 hours ago, akaShag said:

what smitty said.

But anyways, back to the problem of how to cook the cuts you have, my answer is pan-fry them to no more than medium rare.  Enjoy!

I can see it know.

3 Grown men enjoying a few pints in Angus. Then they get loud and someone calls the fuzz. Fuzz show up and asks whats the problem here gents? One says frigg off,one says, he frys his back straps in margin, the other says,  frig that,bacon or fat back. Then we all 3 ask, care to join in this discussion?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, akaShag said:

YES!

And a dash of garlic powder on the mushrooms, and a sprinkle of lemon juice, with the soya sauce, and you have Mushrooms Marcellaise.

Lemon juice, yes, yes, yes. Marcellaise, ain't we gettin' all fancy smansy.  A splash of Worcestershire does wonders too but not both. (soya)

7 hours ago, misfish said:

I can see it know.

3 Grown men enjoying a few pints in Angus. Then they get loud and someone calls the fuzz. Fuzz show up and asks whats the problem here gents? One says frigg off,one says, he frys his back straps in margin, the other says,  frig that,bacon or fat back. Then we all 3 ask, care to join in this discussion?

You talkin' about us, yea you, you talkin' about us? You a funny guy Brian. I haven't heard the word Fuzz used for a Cop for who knows how long. I wonder how " Fuzz" came about to describe a Copper. I know where Copper came from but not Fuzz. 

Went to see a variety show at The Lighthouse theatre in Port Dover tonight. Had dinner and of course ordered Pickerel not Lake Erie perch. Had 3 scarfs of Perch in the last 10 days. Took a big bag out of the freezer that I thought was Calamari but it was a few pounds of Perch. What did the waitress bring me? Perch. Never thought I would ever say I've had enough Perch but I have. I know, I know, don't complain. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Talking about heart attack on a plate, was in Costco Saturday AM and they had pork belly.  About 25 bucks for 5 lbs or so of nice meaty pork belly.  So my wife made slow braised pork belly with rice and veg.  Sort of Chinese style with star anise, soy marinade and honey.  The pieces get roasted for a bit to crisp the outside and take off some of the fat and then braised/basted in liquid for an hour or so.  Wow.  Not as greasy as you might think, but definitely "rich" with fat.  I probably shouldn't eat for a few days this week.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Canuck said:

Talking about heart attack on a plate, was in Costco Saturday AM and they had pork belly.  About 25 bucks for 5 lbs or so of nice meaty pork belly.  So my wife made slow braised pork belly with rice and veg.  Sort of Chinese style with star anise, soy marinade and honey.  The pieces get roasted for a bit to crisp the outside and take off some of the fat and then braised/basted in liquid for an hour or so.  Wow.  Not as greasy as you might think, but definitely "rich" with fat.  I probably shouldn't eat for a few days this week.

Where in the store was it?  Frozen meats, or ???  I'd like to look at the store here in Kingston.  I have wanted to make another batch of side bacon but pork belly has been seven bucks a pound around here, IF you can get it.  I am not making bacon starting with pork belly that probably needs to be trimmed, to start with, so my starting meat is eight or nine bucks a pound.  I can buy REALLY good double smoked bacon for about that money, mind you I have to drive five hours to get to that butcher shop.............so for the past year or two I have just been buying COSTCO bacon, which is decent but not special.

49 minutes ago, misfish said:

I seen it as well. Fresh,in the pork area.

Yes, fresh and trimmed.  The pieces are bacon length and about 1.5 to 2.0 inches thick.  Quite meaty too.  Now that I think about it, maybe it was not 5 lbs.  Maybe 4 or so.  Didn't pay that much attention, but it was a nice big package of maybe 7 or 8 pieces.

Edited by Canuck

9 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Yes, fresh and trimmed.  The pieces are bacon length and about 1.5 to 2.0 inches thick.  Quite meaty too.  Now that I think about it, maybe it was not 5 lbs.  Maybe 4 or so.  Didn't pay that much attention, but it was a nice big package of maybe 7 or 8 pieces.

Thanks!  Next stop, COSTCO Kingston.............

..............and if I never posted my side bacon recipe before I will once I make a batch again!

• Like 1

Never had Pork Belly. What's the difference between it and Bacon? Is Pancetta Pork belly? Believe it or not never had that either. I want to live to 65. At the Doc's today BP was 130 over 75.  I will cook with bacon drippings a few times a year but pork fat grosses me out. I haven't had bacon for 30 years. Pea meal or lean sausages I do eat. I make our own sausages.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Pork belly is the cut of meat used to make side bacon, which is the sliced stuff normally just known as bacon.  Pork loin is used to make back bacon.  One type of back bacon is pea meal bacon.

I don't know what pancetta is, I never had it as far as I know.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:09 AM, Spiel said:

Made me a mess of Fish cakes yesterday, mmmm, oh so good with tomatoes and lime butter asparagus.

cakes2.jpg

cakes4.jpg

One of the old timer Dock Foremen used to make fish cakes and filled his pockets with them before he had to dump a drag of ore cars. Walt would make patties of Pike. He would would chop up all the "Y" bones and ingredients to nothing. They were good, real good.  He made them before going into the plant then would cook them in what we called Blast Furnace microwaves. Our welders made steel boxes that had 4 @ 500 watt light bulbs. Much better than microwaves. 

The offense coach of the Vikings and I share the exact same name. Weird to hear your name watching MNF on TV, which isn't a common name on. I yell to my wife "did you hear that?" She's gonna kill me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Never had Pork Belly. What's the difference between it and Bacon? Is Pancetta Pork belly? Believe it or not never had that either. I want to live to 65. At the Doc's today BP was 130 over 75.  I will cook with bacon drippings a few times a year but pork fat grosses me out. I haven't had bacon for 30 years. Pea meal or lean sausages I do eat. I make our own sausages.

if pork fat grosses you out you’ll hate pork belly. It’s basically unsliced unsalted and unsmoked bacon. Still lots of fat in it. Very fatty and rich. 

23 hours ago, Canuck said:

if pork fat grosses you out you’ll hate pork belly. It’s basically unsliced unsalted and unsmoked bacon. Still lots of fat in it. Very fatty and rich. 

That's Pancetta. It does gross me out. I remember my Father slathering bread with cold lard that they made after they butchered the Fall pig. Nothing went to waste on those massive Sows, absolutely nothing. 

• Haha 1

On the new flat grill, Asparagus with butter and lemon, spicy seasoned shrimp and a rare Tuna steak with a side of Chef salad.

But wait.....it gets better. I'm a beer guy all day long, day in and day out. When my buddy Ron visited this past Sunday I was gifted a bottle of his home made award winning wine. It was a very fitting accompaniment to my seafood dinner.

grill2.JPG

grill3.JPG

grill4.JPG

grill6.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Canuck said:

Looks delicious, but I would have seared that tuna hotter and faster so it was more rare (my tastes anyway).  I always do it in my trusty old cast iron pan that can take whatever heat I throw at it. 

That's rare enough for my liking.  ;)