cooking thread...

30 minutes ago, misfish said:

Did you just soak it over night,or are you boiling it? I hate boiling. Takes to much taste out of it. Then again, it does take a lot of the salt away.

I'll be soaking it over the next two to three days with filtered water changes every 24 hours as needed.

28 minutes ago, Spiel said:

I'll be soaking it over the next two to three days with filtered water changes every 24 hours as needed.

I was a 24 hour guy, but the salt intake has got me going 48. I still need that home taste like nan made. If It is just fish in tater,might as well use Tilapia. LOL

Atleast frying in bacon fat, adds a bit of more flavor. Bad habits never die.LOL

Edit to add

Add the chopped onion and fish, in the mashed taters while they are still steaming. The taters will absorb the onion juices. Makes a world of difference. Let it all cool off before making your paddy's. Just how I do it.

Enjoy. Look forward to your finish.

I see a dinner of my own maybe this Sunday.

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, misfish said:

I was a 24 hour guy, but the salt intake has got me going 48. I still need that home taste like nan made. If It is just fish in tater,might as well use Tilapia. LOL

Atleast frying in bacon fat, adds a bit of more flavor. Bad habits never die.LOL

Edit to add

Add the chopped onion and fish, in the mashed taters while they are still steaming. The taters will absorb the onion juices. Makes a world of difference. Let it all cool off before making your paddy's. Just how I do it.

Enjoy. Look forward to your finish.

I see a dinner of my own maybe this Sunday.

This was my first attempt recently, dusted in Garlic Fish Crisp and fried in bacon fat.  ;)

codcakes.jpg

42686651_302870383641608_3216081359604809728_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misfish said:

My god, do you remind me of my pop. He always has a full jar of bacon dripping for frying. Some old good tasting bad habits never die. LOL

As for the deer, I would put the straps in a zip lock bag, pour in a bottle of Italian zesty dressing, Let marinade 24 hours, put in roaster, add onions and cook for 4 hours on low. 250.  Make some home made fettuccine. A can of spicy tomatoes in a pot,crushed garlic, some generous amount of fresh ground parm. Mix the noodles in the sauce. Place noodles on a plate, add thin sliced venison on top.

Ya I am a newf, but can make Italian. LOL

Yep, that Bacon fat is my stash of Crack, can kill ya but can't help yourself. I don't come to this thread much anymore. 99.9% of what you guys make is a Diabetic coma of Heart attack away for moi. And it isn't much fun just looking plus it is too tempting. A single cup of pasta now has me lathered in sweat before I finish it. In the last 3 years I have buried no less than 4 pals who's deaths were Diabetes related that went uncontrolled. The 4 of them had 3 legs amongst them.  It was sobering and I got back on the wagon. Went from 210 to 167 following a Diabetic diet, low Glycemic response foods. It's been years since my Doc said go ahead and gain a few pounds. Knees, back and hips feel great compared to 210. When I was diagnosed 20 years ago I was 5'11" and 235!  Now 5'9" 1/4" !!! 170. 

I like that recipe misfish, It really sounds good. I may pass on the pasta and do sweet potato mash, or a tiny bit of linguini, a tiny bit. I do basically the same with  pork loin, I too bought a whack of it on sale last week at 99 cents a lb. 6 in fact. If I had more room I would have bought more. I don't think I will ever use store bought Italian dressing, I might lose my membership at the Calabrese Social Club. Italian dressing is simple, a good, real good extra virgin olive oil, good quality Red Wine vinegar, dried Oregano, dried Basilico, roasted and mashed Garlic , Sea Salt and ground black pepper and even some raw sugar which some regions in Italy use and store bought is loaded with bad for anyone refined sugar. I bet a 750 ml bottle of  home made costs less than 50 cents. Put it in the Kraft squeeze bottle and pretend you paid 4 bucks, or more. Whip it all together with a raw egg and call it Caesars. Refrigerate if you add an egg. No one is going to die eating a 1/4 or less of a raw egg. Rocky didn't. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I like that recipe misfish, I don't think I will ever use store bought Italian dressing, I might lose my membership at the Calabrese Social Club. Italian dressing is simple, a good, real good extra virgin olive oil, good quality Red Wine vinegar, dried Oregano, dried Basilico, roasted and mashed Garlic , Sea Salt and ground black pepper and even some raw sugar which some regions in Italy use and store bought is loaded with bad for anyone refined sugar. I bet a 750 ml bottle of  home made costs less than 50 cents. Put it in the Kraft squeeze bottle and pretend you paid 4 bucks, or more. Whip it all together with a raw egg and call it Caesars. Refrigerate if you add an egg. No one is going to die eating a 1/4 or less of a raw egg. Rocky didn't. 

:worthy:

Just now, misfish said:

:worthy:

misfish I was editing my post to you while you were posting here. I said I do basically the same thing with pork loin. It's a good way to cook a very lean pork loin or backstrap, I actually like the other loin that has some of the sirloin (I think) of darker meat and fat on bottom that I trim and of course save to make lard once I get enough in the freezer. I might use the lard and bacon fat 2 or 3 times a year, usually the bacon for a big Turkey and the pork fat for roasted taters that I won't eat, it's a treat for Tich and guests.   

1 hour ago, Spiel said:

Dad ran water on it for at least 24 hours for Good Friday or Christmas Eve on the Baccala or Stoco (like salt Cod but a different fish that I can't remember the name) until they put water meters in. I wouldn't touch the stuff when I was a kid and now will kill for it. There are a few Portuguese restaurants in Hamilton on or near James St. N. that serve a great Bacalau. 

• Like 1

as much as I hate to disagree with my (never met yet) Newfoundland buddy, I would NEVER EVER do anything with those cuts of venison but pan-fry it.

Backstraps (what the Yanks call it) ARE loin steaks.  On an adult deer, the loin is about 3 inches across, somewhat wider near the butt, and somewhat shorter near the shoulder.  These are the best cuts of venison, and should be seasoned with pretty simple seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic) and pan-fried in butter or margarine.  ABSOLUTELY NOT BACON FAT!!!!!!!!  under any circumstances, and please trust me on this.  You should cook them to no more than medium rare, rare is better.  If you cook them medium or more they will be tough since there is zero fat in them.  If they are not already sliced up, I suggest a half inch to tops three quarters of an inch for the loin steaks.

If the hunter differentiates between loin and backstraps, it is possible that the "LOIN" is tenderloin.  On a large adult deer, the tenderloin will be about 1.5 to 2 inches across and have a serious north-south grain.  If you have some venison tenderloin, that hunter likes you a lot.  With t-loin, slice it about a half-inch thick and pan-fry it in butter.  remove the t-loins for the pan and fry some eggs in the pan drippings, then serve the eggs on top of the venison medallions.  My favourite meal.

If there is BONE in the steaks, please send me a pm and I will have more ideas for you.

I have cooked many thousands of meals of venison, and butchered at least a couple hundred deer, trust me.

Doug

3 minutes ago, akaShag said:

as much as I hate to disagree with my (never met yet) Newfoundland buddy, I would NEVER EVER do anything with those cuts of venison but pan-fry it.

No offense taken at all. I am a ,to each their own.

We would take the loins of each fresh kill, and do as I said. Slice thin and have on crackers with cheese and drink joyously.

My also known as Shag friend I don't want.  to disagree with you however I am. Just because I have never cooked Venison doesn't mean I have never eaten it. I have asked many different hunters the difference between the "back strap" and "loin". Simple, the back strap on a Deer is the Fillet Mignon of a Beef. The meat on the other side of the cow is the loin. I once brought a buddy who was an avid hunter what another hunter gave me and hunter #2 said it was backstrap, former hunter #1 said "no way it's backstrap" but I will keep it anyway." I am going to Google Deer anatomy. 

I didn't think my brother liked me that much but he gave me 2 back straps of Venison. Maybe because he has promissed to give me some meat for the last 5 years, more like 10! I sure ain't making stew from it. Why no Bacon fat Shag, That is one really lean cut. 

16 hours ago, akaShag said:

I was with a buddy at the Owen Sound Fishing Symposium back in the 80s or so.  We were staying in my camper and eating our meals there rather than buying take-out.  He had brought a brick of garlic cheese, which was DELICIOUS!!!  But that afternoon, after eating a bunch of it, I noticed that people's eyes were getting tears in them when I was speaking to them.  LASER BREATH..................

And if you were going hunting, it would be basically impossible to get that garlic out of your skin - and the deer would notice.  Says the guy who is talking with some experience in this regard....................

I will be interested to hear how it turns out!

Doug

Well, my son and I enjoyed the Garlic Soup last night. With as much garlic in it as I used, around 50 cloves, it was not in any way over powering or "burning", just a nice mellow garlic flavour. Heck, the house didn't even smell. The flavour reminded me very much of Leek and potato soup.

The Pro's - very tasty and a bit of depth to the taste with the combo of fresh and roasted garlic. It's pretty darn easy to make, with total prep and cooking adding up to about one hour. 45 minutes of that was roasting the garlic. I used my hand held "outboard motor" rather than transferring everything to a blender and it worked great! Side benefit... if you are one who has some troubles with your daily constitutional, this soup will help get things moving along! Don't ask how I know!

Cons - I found the finished product to be a little thin to my liking. The next time I make this, and I will, I'm going to add some peeled and diced potatoes, probably only two, to help thicken it up a bit. I'll add them in the 20 minute simmer.

So, if you have never heard of garlic soup, you have now and I highly recommend it for the flavour and ease of preparation. It's pretty rich which means you really won't be eating too much as I found it rather filling.

Happy chowing down everyone!

HH

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

My also known as Shag friend I don't want.  to disagree with you however I am. Just because I have never cooked Venison doesn't mean I have never eaten it. I have asked many different hunters the difference between the "back strap" and "loin". Simple, the back strap on a Deer is the Fillet Mignon of a Beef. The meat on the other side of the cow is the loin. I once brought a buddy who was an avid hunter what another hunter gave me and hunter #2 said it was backstrap, former hunter #1 said "no way it's backstrap" but I will keep it anyway." I am going to Google Deer anatomy. 

I didn't think my brother liked me that much but he gave me 2 back straps of Venison. Maybe because he has promissed to give me some meat for the last 5 years, more like 10! I sure ain't making stew from it. Why no Bacon fat Shag, That is one really lean cut. 

Filet mignon is tenderloin, which is inside the body cavity on either side of the spine on about the back third of the deer.  Backstraps, or loins, are on the opposite side of the animal, under the skin, from about the top of the shoulder to the hips.  Backstraps are loins, and loins are backstraps, two names for the same thing.  I have tried to add a diagram here, not sure if it will show up.

Bacon fat overpowers the flavour of the meat, in my opinion.  I actually use Becel Light margarine, as I prefer the taste, but most folks would use butter.

image.png.367a8e39cfbf7ad874c4770dac2d2748.png

• Like 1

It looks like the picture showed up OK.

If you have a t-bone steak, the larger side is loin and the smaller side is tenderloin, with the cut going at 90 degrees to the spine on an animal that has been cut in half lengthwise like a "side" of beef.  Some folks will butcher a deer in the same fashion, but personally I don't like bone-in venison, so I bone out my deer.  The only exception is I take the neck and use it to make venison barley soup.  Here's my recipe for that:

DOCTOR DOUG’S VENISON BARLEY SOUP

Take a real good meaty neck, cut it in half if you need to fit it into your stock pot.  Add water or broth for at least three times the volume of the neck, basically I fill the pot about two-thirds full of neck and water/broth.  Add a couple tablespoons of summer savoury, then simmer on a nice low simmer (pot still bubbling gently) for at least four hours, five is better, maybe six if you have time.  Take the neck out of the pot and add diced carrots, diced celery, diced onions (I like Vidalias the best) and a goodly amount of barley.  Obviously the amounts of all those ingredients is going to be dictated by the size of your pot.  My stock pot holds about four US gallons so I add LOTS of all that stuff.  You are looking for a pretty thick soup. At this point I add in a good helping of Hy's Seasoned Salt, some fresh ground black pepper, sometimes a wee bit of garlic, and maybe a touch more summer savoury. Simmer that for an hour or so, and when the meat is cool enough take it off the bones, cut it into pieces and add it back to the soup.  After the meat is back into the pot I let that simmer away for a good half-hour or so.

In other words it is going to take the better part of a day to make a pot of venison barley soup, but it sure is tasty and it also freezes very well.

On 11/25/2018 at 5:54 PM, misfish said:

My pop text me last week he and mudder had the same breaky. They brought back some from the rock on their last visit. Never shared we me.:(

Where you getting yours Bruce?  That prepackaged stuff is CRAP.

I’m no cook but Brian here in Mississauga we have a great British shop and there black pudding is very good (I love it but more importantly my parents who are Scottish love it to).  There Lorne’s sausage, potato scones are also top notch 

right off the 401 at Winston Churchill   For those who love British food, candy even soaps etc it’s a cool place 

https://www.britishgrocerwholesale.com/

Edited by gordy28
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, misfish said:

Add potato,bacon and shrimp Joe:good:.

Well, I have been putting the ole thinker box in this one and have come up with a few ideas myself.

Next time, I'm going to start by frying some pancetta as a first step. Once crispy, I'll remove and set aside. Going to use the fat left over to cook the onions and raw garlic. Add the crispy pancetta at the end. I also think that a decent sausage would be good.

Croutons at the end and even some aspargas. Not sure that shrimp would be the best choice because man, it this soup ever rich! Shrimp might put it over the top! Heck, why stop at shrimp when some chunk lobster would settle in ther nicely!

HH

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Well, I have been putting the ole thinker box in this one and have come up with a few ideas myself.

Next time, I'm going to start by frying some pancetta as a first step. Once crispy, I'll remove and set aside. Going to use the fat left over to cook the onions and raw garlic. Add the crispy pancetta at the end. I also think that a decent sausage would be good.

Croutons at the end and even some aspargas. Not sure that shrimp would be the best choice because man, it this soup ever rich! Shrimp might put it over the top! Heck, why stop at shrimp when some chunk lobster would settle in ther nicely!

HH

Dont stop there Joe

Croutons oh ya,and melt some mozza on top. LOL