cooking thread...

Two Mac and Cheese filled casserole dishes.
The one on the right for my daughter (meatless) and the monster on the left for me. Mine has has a pound of Bacon and a pound of Shrimp and was topped with a layer of my buddy Bruce's (Bigugli) garden grown homemade salsa, a layer of crushed Nachos and a crap load of extra old Canadian Cheddar.

dindin.jpg

maccheese.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spincast said:

ok, contestants, today's challenge is make it from whats on sale at the store. you have a $20.00 limit. You have to feed a family...jk. but that was the challenge I set myself today. It was all working till I got the wine...

spinach, lobster flavoured pollock  and outside rounds on sale

7wngoyz.jpg

the requisite "before"

41J7g5Y.jpg

and "after" pics

ioLUanu.jpg

needed some spuds and veg

Fvhdz0Y.jpg

and, when we put it all together.

6JJBXuG.jpg

rgl0UVd.jpg

Rick, thats is amazing. I missed the bacon wrap.

18 hours ago, bigugli said:

This week we did our annual family cooking marathon. Day one, pick up last minute groceries, thaw 20 lbs of ground meats, make turnip casseroles from the 5 large rutabagas I had picked up. Thursday, the main event..... 20lb of cabbage rolls and another 10lb of meatloaf. Mother and I also chowed down on a special treat for breakfasts this week. Nice hearty helpings of bacon, eggs, and blood pudding.  We's is living good.

002.JPG

Bruce my man, you look to have dropped a few pounds. Or is that pan of food that large. LOL Looks delish

5 hours ago, Spiel said:

Two Mac and Cheese filled casserole dishes.
The one on the right for my daughter (meatless) and the monster on the left for me. Mine has has a pound of Bacon and a pound of Shrimp and was topped with a layer of my buddy Bruce's (Bigugli) garden grown homemade salsa, a layer of crushed Nachos and a crap load of extra old Canadian Cheddar.

dindin.jpg

maccheese.jpg

I am all over this/these dishes Chris. Very nice.

Had a good talk with a few fellas on the riv this morning. Talk was rods, and well, you know whom I talked about. I got a few thoughts in my head for the new build. Talk soon.:Gonefishing:

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

I was going to post today in this thread andyou guys all beat me too it.

NoFrills has pork tenderloins cheap cheap cheap.

Grabbed 3 packs and froze 2 and made one into a pork fry burritos.

The pork was sliced thin and marinaded from noon yesterday, and put in the pan at 3 pm today. My goodness, talk about tender.

Pics as usual

Beef balls were boiled in soya sauce water for Mondays stir fry, with today's left over pork.

tG7Qtrd.jpg

tw5cm7k.jpg?1

nnTFZDE.jpg

BdSeBN4.jpg

6aQlhAV.jpg?1

5erqT1l.jpg?1

0HDY88U.jpg?1

YehqXo9.jpg?1

of9w2de.jpg?1

I am stuffed

• Like 3

19 hours ago, bigugli said:

blood pudding. 

My pop text me last week he and mudder had the same breaky. They brought back some from the rock on their last visit. Never shared we me.:(

Where you getting yours Bruce?  That prepackaged stuff is CRAP.

9 minutes ago, misfish said:

My pop text me last week he and mudder had the same breaky. They brought back some from the rock on their last visit. Never shared we me.:(

Where you getting yours Bruce?  That prepackaged stuff is CRAP.

English friends picked some up at a specialty shop in Burlington

That's an interesting marinade. I'm envisioning long strips of 1/4" tenderloin overnite,  and then into a birthday gift from my daughter to break it in. :)

I've had two top loaders in the past, still have one working unit, last pan is about burned out, even with foil.  A small cast iron sorta works, but it's not a strong smoke, you can tell by the vents.

smoker.JPG

• Like 1

I seasoned all of my smokers with a couple or three pans of smoke before I ever put any meat into them..............

.........and my Big Chief is almost nearing retirement, bottom tray is 75% gone and held together with aluminum foil, racks are getting sketchy, but the power cord is only a couple years old..........

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

never tried to smoke cheese................too hard to light it.....................

but:  https://www.smokehouseproducts.com/blogs/recipes/homemade-smoked-cheese-and-your-favorite-wines

Doug

I remember when I got my first one back in the early 80's the book said to use a couple pieces of wood across the top of the smoker and then put the rack on top of them and then the cardboard box over the racks as a cover. It actually said to keep the box for cold smoking. Now this was for the top loader, wouldn't work for the front loader, although I do have two sets of racks still.

Dougie by the bottom tray if you mean the drip tray mine never lasted long anyway and I never missed them at all, in fact I always figured they blocked off a lot of the smoke in the middle of the chamber.

Cheers

20 hours ago, misfish said:

I was going to post today in this thread andyou guys all beat me too it.

NoFrills has pork tenderloins cheap cheap cheap.

Grabbed 3 packs and froze 2 and made one into a pork fry burritos.

The pork was sliced thin and marinaded from noon yesterday, and put in the pan at 3 pm today. My goodness, talk about tender.

Pics as usual

Beef balls were boiled in soya sauce water for Mondays stir fry, with today's left over pork.

tG7Qtrd.jpg

tw5cm7k.jpg?1

nnTFZDE.jpg

BdSeBN4.jpg

6aQlhAV.jpg?1

5erqT1l.jpg?1

0HDY88U.jpg?1

YehqXo9.jpg?1

of9w2de.jpg?1

I am stuffed

dang those look amazing!

Garlic soup on the menu tonight! Here's a recipe I found, I'm gonna give a whirl tonight! I'll let yah know how it turnes out!

Yield
Serves 4

Ingredients

• 26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
    • 2 1/4 cups sliced onions
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
    • 18 garlic cloves, peeled
    • 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
    • 1/2 cup whipping cream
    • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
    • 4 lemon wedges

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 26 garlic cloves in small glass baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake until garlic is golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes. Cool. Squeeze garlic between fingertips to release cloves. Transfer cloves to small bowl.
    2. Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and thyme and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add roasted garlic and 18 raw garlic cloves and cook 3 minutes. Add chicken stock; cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, about 20 minutes. Working in batches, purée soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to saucepan; add cream and bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat, stirring occasionally.)
    3. Divide grated cheese among 4 bowls and ladle soup over. Squeeze juice of 1 lemon wedge into each bowl and serve.

HH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

back to Headhunter...........

..............I take it you are NOT a bow-hunter, nor partaking of the controlled hunt for deer this week!!!!!?

Doug

Nope! The girls are out tonight so it's just my son and I and he likes garlic more than me, if that's possible... I think it's my birthstone.

BTW - he asked for garlic bread w/cheese on the side! LOL

HH

I was with a buddy at the Owen Sound Fishing Symposium back in the 80s or so.  We were staying in my camper and eating our meals there rather than buying take-out.  He had brought a brick of garlic cheese, which was DELICIOUS!!!  But that afternoon, after eating a bunch of it, I noticed that people's eyes were getting tears in them when I was speaking to them.  LASER BREATH..................

And if you were going hunting, it would be basically impossible to get that garlic out of your skin - and the deer would notice.  Says the guy who is talking with some experience in this regard....................

I will be interested to hear how it turns out!

Doug

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 9:30 AM, misfish said:

So how would one go about smoking cheese in these? I would think it would melt no ??????

Easiest way to smoke cheese is to use the cabinet, without the heat element, and instead use a smoke tube or wood chip tray

One brand that is well known is A-Maze-N they have a range of products that suit cold smoking for cheap, comparing to whole units

Left overs tonite, made this in the Instant Pot last night, it is pretty hearty but a touch bland, I add a table spoon of chili powder and a teaspoon of cumin to the recipe and a squirt of sriracha to my bowl. Weight Watcher friendly especially if you sub turkey for the ground beef.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/chunky-beef-cabbage-and-tomato-soup-instant-pot/

7 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

My brother had a great Deer hunt last month and gave me a few Backstraps, Loins and steaks. I've never cooked Deer before. Very lean but I have a good size jar of Bacon fat available. I don't want to ruin them. Any simple recipes? 

My god, do you remind me of my pop. He always has a full jar of bacon dripping for frying. Some old good tasting bad habits never die. LOL

As for the deer, I would put the straps in a zip lock bag, pour in a bottle of Italian zesty dressing, Let marinade 24 hours, put in roaster, add onions and cook for 4 hours on low. 250.  Make some home made fettuccine. A can of spicy tomatoes in a pot,crushed garlic, some generous amount of fresh ground parm. Mix the noodles in the sauce. Place noodles on a plate, add thin sliced venison on top.

Ya I am a newf, but can make Italian. LOL