cooking thread...

7 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Sure no prob, here's the base recipe I use. https://nwedible.com/how-to-make-canadian-bacon-at-home/

One thing for sure is that from now on I will be brining the meat for for much longer than the recipe calls for, like I did this time. After chatting with Doug I'm sure that's why there was much more flavour to the meat this time, besides the smoke. He does it for 7 days and his mentor actually goes 10 days.

One more thing. I got my curing salt from a local butcher, it wasn't pink. He wasn't sure exactly what the nitrite ratio was but told me for 10lbs of meat to use 2oz of cure, so I used 56g instead of the 40 the recipe calls for.

Cheers

awesome, thanks!

On 10/10/2018 at 7:24 PM, misfish said:

Hmm, I couldn't find the ratio of curing salt in the mix but I think it's safe to say that close to 90% of that is just flavouring, you could add your own for far less money. For instance if you go by the recipe that I use it would take 100g of cure for 10 qts of brine, so just 2 or 3 bucks. I would just go visit a butcher who does any smoking.

Cheers

Don't pay the ransom, I escaped!

OK I have been away for a few daYS AND WITHOUT RELIABLE iNTERNET. 

Holy FRACK is the site slow tonight!

I do NOT use a wet brine to make side bacon or loin bacon, nor for the bacon made with pork tenderloins.  I thought I had posted the recipe on this thread but maybe not.  It is a dry rub and I will get exact instructions and come back here.

Doug

Here you go, folks.  For smitty, yes this is also how I made the tenderloin bacon, but left it in the fridge for less time.

2 boneless pork loins, cut into 3” chunks

https://www.stuffers.com/product-p/cumobac1kg.htm

Maple seasoning (I used Fish Crisp brand)

Take the chunks of pork loin, season them on all sides with the cure, and put them in a covered Tupperware container in the fridge. Turn them a quarter turn every day for about ten days, then give them a good rinse with cold water, pat them dry, dust with the maple seasoning, and smoke for three pans of smoke (maple chips).

Doug

PS)  Now as I look at my notes, my buddy leaves his in the fridge for two weeks, and I used ten days for the loins and IIRC five days for the t-loins.  The meat gets quite "stiff."

Other curing salt for sure would work, same for Morton's Tender Quick Salt - but it has to be CURING salt, with the nitrites.

Doug

Busy busy here

Sick as a dog again, but not letting it ruin my week off.

Some troots for the smoker this morning

gnOdxsd.jpg?1

Home and chunked up ( I gave the tweezer thing a try on the Y bones, and said f that ) I just sliced down the sides of them and removed. LOL

zia7P9P.jpg?1

Went with a wet brine this time

PbmG7OA.jpg?1

My work was yet not finished, as dinner needed to be preped for tonight.

5FOdvn6.jpg?1

Now I can rest. LOL

1 minute ago, akaShag said:

Jiggs Dinner?

Naw. Just a roast of beast and some veggies. Beast on sale at no frills. Cheap.  Jigs dinners are very far and in between these days. Price of a small bucket of beef is off the charts, and way to much salt for me these days. Takes like 3-5 days to recover from one.

10 minutes ago, akaShag said:

I did see the broccoli and not turnips, but thought the roast might have been corned beef, as in NOT salt beef.......I hear ya about sodium.  ?

Todays turnip, is not turnip. Turnip use to boil soft in 3/4 hour and have a nice bright yellow to it. This root veggie called rutabaga, seems to be the new so called turnip, and seems to boil for hours and still be hard, no matter the size of dicing I do. And the flavor is not there.

Another veggie that is hard to find these days is vegie marrow. A classic dish from my past. Stuff it the same as stuffed peppers.

As for cabbage, I am a big fan of the savoy. Nice and light and very tasty.

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Best way to cook turnip is to cube to one inch cubes, toss with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, put on a flat cookie sheet on parchment paper and roast in the oven at 375  till browned and tender.  

I am finding this is the best way to do most vegetables, asparagus to zucchini, both of those are better with a sprinkle of parm cheese though. I do 400 though.

• 1 month later...

ok, contestants, today's challenge is make it from whats on sale at the store. you have a $20.00 limit. You have to feed a family...jk. but that was the challenge I set myself today. It was all working till I got the wine...

spinach, lobster flavoured pollock  and outside rounds on sale

7wngoyz.jpg

the requisite "before"

41J7g5Y.jpg

and "after" pics

ioLUanu.jpg

needed some spuds and veg

Fvhdz0Y.jpg

and, when we put it all together.

6JJBXuG.jpg

rgl0UVd.jpg

• Like 2

Today's challenge for me was to make a GREAT BIG HONKIN' pot of Venison Barley soup from neck bones.  I started at about 9 am and just finished putting the soup into containers for the freezer.  Twelve hours, about right................

I used my biggest stock pot, I am thinking about thirty servings.  Good filtered try again please, mon?

Hey what happened to the emoji with the fur hat??????????????

Doug

On 10/16/2018 at 7:51 PM, misfish said:

Todays turnip, is not turnip. Turnip use to boil soft in 3/4 hour and have a nice bright yellow to it. This root veggie called rutabaga, seems to be the new so called turnip, and seems to boil for hours and still be hard, no matter the size of dicing I do. And the flavor is not there.

Another veggie that is hard to find these days is vegie marrow. A classic dish from my past. Stuff it the same as stuffed peppers.

As for cabbage, I am a big fan of the savoy. Nice and light and very tasty.

Turnips are white and smallish. Rutabaga/Swede turnip is large and yellow fleshed. The latter is a fall staple for us Scandinavian types.

As for the vegetable marrow,    An English and European staple that you find at farmers markets. We grow them.

This week we did our annual family cooking marathon. Day one, pick up last minute groceries, thaw 20 lbs of ground meats, make turnip casseroles from the 5 large rutabagas I had picked up. Thursday, the main event..... 20lb of cabbage rolls and another 10lb of meatloaf. Mother and I also chowed down on a special treat for breakfasts this week. Nice hearty helpings of bacon, eggs, and blood pudding.  We's is living good.

002.JPG

• Like 1