cooking thread...

Calves liver to die for.  If you don't think you like liver, you will.  Needs to be fresh calves liver (not cow, calves)

Get a really sharp knife and cut the calves liver thin (knife flat on the board like taking the skin off a filet, but keep the knife above the board).  I usually thin the store pieces into two.  

Soak in a bowl in milk overnight

Fry up a big mess of bacon.  Keep the fat.

Fry up a big mess of onions in part of the bacon fat.

Toss the milk and dry off the liver with paper towels.

Season the liver with a bit of pepper.

Messy part:

- rub a thin amount real mayonaise (not the light crap) on a piece of liver with your hands, and then press both sides in bread crumbs on a plate to coat it.  Repeat for all the pieces.  Wash up your hands

Now fry the pieces in the bacon fat.

Eat with some steamed veg, mashed potatoes and a nice Chianti, Clarise.

3 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Big Liver fan here...

I cut it into a pocket like a pita. Stuff it with Havarti, some pizza sauce and close with tooth pics. Batter it up with Panko and quick fry. Yah, it's different, but it sure is tasty.

HH

That I gotta try.

5 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Big Liver fan here...

I cut it into a pocket like a pita. Stuff it with Havarti, some pizza sauce and close with tooth pics. Batter it up with Panko and quick fry. Yah, it's different, but it sure is tasty.

HH

This sounds delicious, but I am betting it takes a few tries to get it right.  How do you keep the liver from getting over-cooked, but enough heat to melt the cheese?  And what are you using for oil?  Like bigugli says, that one I gotta try...........

25 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Shag, I pan fry it until golden brown. Being stuffed helps to keep it moist. Havarti doesn't need a lot of heat to melt.

I use what ever oil is on sale!!! LOL

HH

Thanks!  So canola, not EVO, kind of thing?

• 4 months later...

Thanks Brian.  I have no idea how you found this thread, but good on ya!

Today's effort was pork tenderloin bacon, and I am here to tell you it is spectacular!

I started with some pork t-loins, obviously, cured them in a dry bacon rub cure, rinsed them and patted them dry,  hit them with some maple rub, and "cold" smoked them with maple chips.

Maybe Brian can post the pictures since I forget how to do that here?

Doug

Edited by akaShag

2 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Sounds fantastic. All I know is one semi cool evening and my body starts screaming for carbs!!!! :D All I can think about is a mountain of spaghetti with homemade sauce and meatballs!! 

My toon has a weight capacity. I need to hold off til river season. LOL

I forgot about this thread! Got myself a pellet smoker last week... Picked up an 18 pound brisket for it's maiden voyage ?

Oh yeah, I picked up a 2 man limit on Erie while the brisket was getting happy for 16 hours ?

IMG_20180819_171614.jpg

IMG_20180819_175401.jpg

IMG_20180814_184853_01.jpg

IMG_20180819_123158.jpg

Brian thanks for posting the pics. 

So Pork T-Loin Bacon:

I used this rub on the raw pieces:

Then I put the pieces into a tupperware container in the fridge and turned then a quarter-turn daily for four or five days.

This morning I rinsed them with cold water and patted them dry, then rubbed them with Fish Crisp Maple Rub:

Then into my Luhr Jensen electric smoker for three pans of cold smoke with maple chips.  The smoker doesn't have a thermometer or control, and I did not put a cardboard box over the smoker as I usually do.  I checked the pieces after one pan of smoke and two pans of smoke but did not get the colour I wanted so I put the third pan to them.  The flavour is fairly smokey, but I LIKE that.  Two pans might have been OK, one was definitely not enough.

And the stuff is absolutely delicious, like I said, bacon candy!

I do pretty much the same thing with pork loin to make back bacon.

Doug

17 minutes ago, misfish said:

I seen this unit or something like it, at Walmart. It was a decent price, for a smoker/bbq. The problem was, they didnt have the wood pellets for sale. Kinda hard to buy something like this when there is no supplies by the seller.

There are hundreds of brands of pellets... Whether it's traeger or another brand of smoker they all generally have their own, and then there's certain companies that sell just the pellets. But home Depot/lowes both have great selections.

I'll be using this as my main outdoor appliance now, so easy and such good flavour

been a while .... winds and life meant a no go on the water today, so we rubbed the ribs for an eight hour rest ( brown sugar, chilli, onion and garlic powder,  cumin and may leaf), followed by 3.5 hours in the smoker and 30 minutes on the grill, marinated the shrimp for a 5 hour soak ( lime, vodka & chilli), stuffed the jalapenos with feta, onions, garlic, red peppers, kalamata olives soaked in olive oil) and put it all together with rice pilaf. 

picture Homer Simpson after a pork chop....

AV2FMzX.jpg

Has anyone tried an Insta pot pressure cooker?  My brother in Calgary has been raving about his for a year or so, so we finally broke down and bought one.  Its basically a high tech slow cooker/ pressure cooker, but the liner is stainless steel and you can fry/brown at higher heat before you lock down for pressure cooking.  True one pot cooking.  You can buy the toughest cuts of meat and turn them into slow cooked tender goodness is 30 to 45 minutes.  Its really cool.  They are pricey but the the go on sale periodically.  You will want the larger version.

24 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Has anyone tried an Insta pot pressure cooker?  My brother in Calgary has been raving about his for a year or so, so we finally broke down and bought one.  Its basically a high tech slow cooker/ pressure cooker, but the liner is stainless steel and you can fry/brown at higher heat before you lock down for pressure cooking.  True one pot cooking.  You can buy the toughest cuts of meat and turn them into slow cooked tender goodness is 30 to 45 minutes.  Its really cool.  They are pricey but the the go on sale periodically.  You will want the larger version.

My crockpot died last fall, I replaced it with a 3 quart Instant pot as we are retired and just my wife and I. We now have a 6 quart and a 8 quart instant pot as well  and I bundled up the rice maker and steamer and gave them to my stepdaughter. They have become indispensable in the kitchen for everything from hard boiled eggs to spareribs and corn on the cob.

Edited by dave524

3 hours ago, dave524 said:

My crockpot died last fall, I replaced it with a 3 quart Instant pot as we are retired and just my wife and I. We now have a 6 quart and a 8 quart instant pot as well  and I bundled up the rice maker and steamer and gave them to my stepdaughter. They have become indispensable in the kitchen for everything from hard boiled eggs to spareribs and corn on the cob.

Got one of them as a wedding gift, impressive machine! I made mashed potatoes in like 15 mins Friday night lol

I have a butcher that makes great chunk meat sausage. Mild,hot and honey garlic.  Just put on the smoker for one pan of chips. Sweet maple. Chips are on sale at Walmart and Cabelas right now. Like I said before, I have watched a lot of videos that say to smoke with dry, not wet. Learn from them I guess.

zoAjOps.jpg?1

kXZ8qiv.jpg?1

19 minutes ago, misfish said:

I have a butcher that makes great chunk meat sausage. Mild,hot and honey garlic.  Just put on the smoker for one pan of chips. Sweet maple. Chips are on sale at Walmart and Cabelas right now. Like I said before, I have watched a lot of videos that say to smoke with dry, not wet. Learn from them I guess.

zoAjOps.jpg?1

kXZ8qiv.jpg?1

That butcher almost certainly will have curing salt and/or Morton's Tender Quick.

I just put three pork loins worth of chunks into the smoker for back bacon.  They have been brining for over a week...................