cooking thread...

Superstore had outside round roast on for $2.98 a pound a week or so ago. Should have bought a couple more:wallbash:. Even after 8 hours in the crock pot outside round is often dry and chewy, no fat,  but 45 minutes in the Instant Pot pressure cooker along with 6 big potatoes, 3 monster carrots, a quartered onion, splash of Worcestershire, packet of dry onion soup mix, 2 bay leaves and 2 cups of water it came out fall apart tender so much that you couldn't really slice it . Thickened the liquid for a gravy with a bit of flour , leftovers tonight  :thumbsup_anim:  Lovin the pressure cooker, definitely worth it for soups stews and chilis, made from dried beans is way better than canned beans.

edit: there was a stalk of celery in there too, like the flavour it adds to stew and pot roast

Edited by dave524

On 2/28/2018 at 1:11 PM, akaShag said:

Thanks!  I am going to try that.  I have done potatoes like that, including ones that I hollowed out and put bacon, vidalias and butter on the inside, but never tried to cook a whole onion.  I like the idea!

Doug

Well you'll do it often now!!! 

31 minutes ago, manitoubass2 said:

Shouldn't be a bother at all

Well not to be too graphic here a good helping of sauteed vidalias would be about the same as taking a bunch of exlax..............not that I ever took exlax.............:blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Re the baked onions,I take Vidalia onions and cut them similar to blooming onions, wrap up tight in foil with a large dab of butter & a beef or chicken bouillon cube or powdered mix.

45 minutes on the grill.The sauce is very similar to French onion soup when you open them up.

18 minutes ago, Blue Lk said:

Re the baked onions,I take Vidalia onions and cut them similar to blooming onions, wrap up tight in foil with a large dab of butter & a beef or chicken bouillon cube or powdered mix.

45 minutes on the grill.The sauce is very similar to French onion soup when you open them up.

Do the same thing less the bullion cube or powdered soup (they should be illegal) and bury some cheese in the center, wrap well in foil and fire them right in the coals of a camp fire.

6 minutes ago, bobowski said:

Looks delicious. But why are they called Tacos and not Nachos?

It's because it's typically just "taco type" ingredients on frybread.

I just add the chips for a lil filler and texture.

If you bought indian tacos elsewhere, it would be a tad different.

3 minutes ago, manitoubass2 said:

It's because it's typically just "taco type" ingredients on frybread.

I just add the chips for a lil filler and texture.

If you bought indian tacos elsewhere, it would be a tad different.

I see. Wish I could eat that right now. Trying to shed some weight for the summer. Been all healthy meals lately for me. A lot of fish, chicken and veggies. 

2018-03-10-20-55-43_zpsurcdxasj.jpg

2018-03-22-19-23-35_zpsndduobcc.jpg

2018-03-23-21-15-42_zpsyd5llltx.jpg

2018-03-13-19-48-45_zpsopxpulvo.jpg

2018-03-15-12-23-19_zpsmcpxlnvx.jpg

2018-03-22-18-54-13_zpsnuyjkjcx.jpg

4 hours ago, akaShag said:

That's crazy - Rainy River has open water and Kingston still has ice.  I was out on 11 inches of water yesterday and caught a bunch of beautiful perch.  Fresh pan-fried perch for supper, YUM YUM!

4 hours ago, akaShag said:

That's crazy - Rainy River has open water and Kingston still has ice.  I was out on 11 inches of water yesterday and caught a bunch of beautiful perch.  Fresh pan-fried perch for supper, YUM YUM!

In Mexico all Taco means is basically sandwich. Ask for a Taco and that's what you will get, a thin round piece of cornmeal. My biggest surprise when I first went to Mexico is how bland most of the food was and I couldn't find anything that resembled what we call Mexican food. Order a bowl of chili and you get a bowl of beans with chili peppers, chili con carne has pork in it generally. Real Mexican food isn't all that great, to me anyway. Except the fresh fish, that is good I tell ya'.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 hours ago, bobowski said:

I see. Wish I could eat that right now. Trying to shed some weight for the summer. Been all healthy meals lately for me. A lot of fish, chicken and veggies. 

Those are some sweet healthy eats BOB.

:clapping:

• 2 weeks later...

I had me a simple pleasure for supper tonight, while the rest of the house ate their pasta with sauce from a can (YECCCH!!!)  Nothing like a big pan of fried onions and bacon as a side for some pan seared liver with just a hint of pink. When done right it melts in the mouth.  And,    I still have a slab left over for brekkie.

5 minutes ago, bigugli said:

I had me a simple pleasure for supper tonight, while the rest of the house ate their pasta with sauce from a can (YECCCH!!!)  Nothing like a big pan of fried onions and bacon as a side for some pan seared liver with just a hint of pink. When done right it melts in the mouth.  And,    I still have a slab left over for brekkie.

Nice, I tried liver the first time in my life this past summer, a co worker who grew up in Greece brought some in for lunch and gave me some, it was delicious! And definitely not the texture I would have expected haha 

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

YES YES YES. I like calves liver. Just a minute each side. Smothered in katcup or HP. Yes bye.

DEER liver!!!  But NOT on the day the deer was shot.  If you eat a liver on the day the deer was shot, you are guaranteed to have the runs.  Don't ask me why, I do not know.  But many people have said the same thing, their experience with TODAY's deer liver, ended up badly.  So now we shoot the deer today, slice it VERY thinly, put it in milk overnight then cook it tomorrow for brunch.  MY OH MY!!!!!!!!!

Doug