Big John Downriggers

Afraz

Hey Guys,

What are your thoughts on big Johns ? i am getting 4 riggers, 2 with the dual rod holders, flip up arms, swivel bases. and a couple cannon balls, and 2 more regular ones with bases but don't swivel or have moving arms.

All Electric off-course, but very old yet functioning. So old that the line counter is this spring attached to 2 wheels.

What is a package like this worth ? Are motors easy to find for this brand ? and parts ? in case something happens ?

Because i don't see big John down-riggers on retailer shelves when i go to Sail and Bass Pro, i usually find Scotty and Cannon.

Are Big Johns not considered to be a good functioning brand ? I am getting a decent deal so wanted to gain some input before putting money down.

Thanks Guys

Afraz

Big J have been around for 40 years or more....at one time they were windshield wiper motors and they are durable, The electronic units (Cannon Scotty ) had a few more features with out adding things (like auto stop) never trust the counters on any of my riggers I use the finder. If you get them cheap enough they will be good.

I spent 15 years working charters on Lake O and they were by far my favorite riggers to use.

Easiest rigger to bring the ball to hand and easy to work on if anything went wrong with them.

The ability to tip up does make ball retrevial, especially with a long boom a lot easier and if they are built like my old ones there isn't a part you can't replace with an Allen wrench and a punch for a roll pin. Only thing I've had to replace over the years is a few pulleys and motor . Nothing you can't easily do yourself.

Oh and a fish finder measures distance from the boat not depth when it comes to cannonballs. That is a ball at 80 feet will mark at 100 feet if that is how much cable it takes to get down 80 with blowback factored in.

Big Jons are awesome as said before by everyone lol. I also second that the spring line counters work great, just remember to zero them before you put it back down, it is easy to change the depth accidentally when fiddling with things. We've been running Big Jon's since before I could handle a King by myself lol.