Boat pricing

HTHM

I went to the boat show yesterday, and was amazed at the price for a brand new Ranger bass boat. Over 90,000 with all the bells and whistles.

Don't see one of those in my future, ever.

I heard they were around that price, that's why i opted for an 89 lol

what bothered me more was all the boat show special prices included a way underpowered motor. One manufacturer had a 15 hp on a 18 foot pontoon boat. believe 90 was max. not one boat there came with max hp on it. but i guess i missed the ranger lol

I noticed that last year, but didn't make it out this year. I think they do that on purpose so it looks affordable and then try to get you to upgrade.

I rebuilt my 89 Ranger as well. It was the last year that they used that hull design with the encapsulated wood bows and stringers. It was the ride that made me love that specific year. I bought the boat for1500.oo 6 years ago and tore into it over a winter with an additional 2800.oo. I replaced the impeller and some additional work on the lower end this winter and it is getting the new xi5 trolling motor for the spring fishing season. All in all I still have less than 7000.oo into that boat and it is good enough that I will repower it if the 150 Johnson blows up.

Art

This is also the reason why you see so many "pro" staff boats in our area.

Getting a boat that was ran for a season at $20,000 less really helps a lot of people out.

My issue is a WANT a boat like that and don't mine paying $500 a month for it. What kills me is that after 20 years when I would be done paying for it, I could have bought two of them for that price.

I've decided to let someone else take that huge hit. I have a plan to buy something of that caliber but I can guarantee it will be at least 6 years old.

And with a savings of $30,000 at least over new, I will sleep better at night!!! I will hopefully be able to save up as much as I can before purchasing so monthly payments will either be low or non existant!

Adam

They are built for US Tournament Pros and people with too much money. Like some else said, I catch plenty of bass out of my 14' smokercraft; and what they use in a day for gas would last me a whole month.

It depends on what you want to fish out of. I fish ponds with a 600.00 boat and the ocean in a 100,000.oo boat. average ocean trip is 400.oo in expenses. It isn't that I have excessive money it is that it is worth 400.oo to take 8 people out comfortably and safely for a day of fun and fishing.

Art

There is a certain brand of boat, headquartered in Whitefish, Ontario, that does that all the time. Underpowered, no accessories and the trailer is just barely rated to carry the boat empty. THEY make their money on up selling the motor, winch, bearing buddies, seats, etc. etc. etc....

I was talking to a guy who was pulling out his brand new vessel from them. He stopped me to ask a question about water spraying up when he was under way, they mounted the transducer in the wrong spot.

He said "you look like you know a bit about boats". I said, "you don't have a boat, you have a legend." He thought it was a compliment, but when I explained how they market their boats, fit and finish, etc., he knew I was being serious. I told him the only good thing oI could say was they have a good sales team.

He told me, he went in to buy a 14-16' open fishing boat, and walked away with an 18 or 20' (I don't remember) bowrider that wasn't much good for the style of fishing he wanted to do. He said he got home and shook his head, thinking, "what the hell just happened?"

I will say that I bought my boat through Legend when they had the dealership in Mississauga.

I knew going in that I should upgrade the motor, so I did.

The hull is made by Fisher as is the trailer and is very good and well built on both accounts.

The only wood on my boat is two pieces of teak trim and the core of the transom. The stringers and floor boards are all aluminum.

If you know going in what to expect you can upgrade to a decent package, but if you go in uniformed you will very well walk away with a sub standard rig.

I bought a Legend 18' Xtreme and couldn't be happier. Their marketing strategy with underpowering is only to get people in the door then they upsell. I knew that going into the deal and when the dust settled ended paying about the same as most aluminums out there.

Took the boat out on lake Ontario a few times and runs like a top. Very solid boat. My two cents.

There is a certain brand of boat, headquartered in Whitefish, Ontario, that does that all the time. Underpowered, no accessories and the trailer is just barely rated to carry the boat empty. THEY make their money on up selling the motor, winch, bearing buddies, seats, etc. etc. etc....

I was talking to a guy who was pulling out his brand new vessel from them. He stopped me to ask a question about water spraying up when he was under way, they mounted the transducer in the wrong spot.

He said "you look like you know a bit about boats". I said, "you don't have a boat, you have a legend." He thought it was a compliment, but when I explained how they market their boats, fit and finish, etc., he knew I was being serious. I told him the only good thing oI could say was they have a good sales team.

He told me, he went in to buy a 14-16' open fishing boat, and walked away with an 18 or 20' (I don't remember) bowrider that wasn't much good for the style of fishing he wanted to do. He said he got home and shook his head, thinking, "what the hell just happened?"

That was the company who had the 15 hp on a 18 pontoon boat

I bought a Legend 18' Xtreme and couldn't be happier. Their marketing strategy with underpowering is only to get people in the door then they upsell. I knew that going into the deal and when the dust settled ended paying about the same as most aluminums out there.

Took the boat out on lake Ontario a few times and runs like a top. Very solid boat. My two cents.

I will say that I bought my boat through Legend when they had the dealership in Mississauga.

I knew going in that I should upgrade the motor, so I did.

The hull is made by Fisher as is the trailer and is very good and well built on both accounts.

The only wood on my boat is two pieces of teak trim and the core of the transom. The stringers and floor boards are all aluminum.

If you know going in what to expect you can upgrade to a decent package, but if you go in uniformed you will very well walk away with a sub standard rig.

Same here. I have an 18' Legend XCalibur (Fish n'Ski). I knew going in what to expect in terms of ignoring the initial package price (with the under powered motor, accessories etc).

Got a quote for what I wanted on the boat and compared apples to apples. What sold me on the boat was the aft convertible bench to huge casting platform.

Really happy with the boat.

Edited by manjo39