Target Canada closing

mike rousseau

So it looks like target Canada has announced they're closing up shop...

17,000+ Canadians losing their jobs... Plus the effect on contractors that support the business...

One of their 3 distribution centers is in Cornwall where I live and my brother works there as an electrician...

This is a big loss for my city... And our country...

Sad news

This is no surprise at all. I cannot believe how badly operated the stores were. The whole Target fiasco will undoubtedly be a chapter in many future Business 101 textbooks.

I do feel for all those who will be losing their jobs. Hopefully their failure doesn't scare off any future retailers from setting up shop.

other companies like Walmart

Something is odd with Target Canada. The shelves are low on stock, they don't bring in new products, same crappy clothes for years, it still looks like K Mart and has hardly any people shopping like K Mart.

I feel bad for those loosing their jobs though. Hopefully they find better jobs.

Edited by chris.brock

Where I work we print all of there in store signage for ALL of Canada. When we got there contract we hired a bunch of people and spend tons of money on new equipment just to service them.

Many of our new hires are young kids with mortgages and young families. It's really going to have an impact on our workplace. Not looking forward to going in at 3 today for my shift.

That aside. It really was a dreadful flop. I went in the Lindsay store once and said to Debbe. There is nothing in this whole place price quality or uniqueness wise that would ever get me in here again.

But I have to say we did an OUTSTANDING job on there instore signage :angel:

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Target is a French company.

Sorry to hear this news, but I figure that given the locations they have established here, another retailer will jump in. Question is, can folks wait for the jobs to come back?

HH

Target is an American company. Perhaps the confusion lies here:

Some people jokingly give Target the pseudo-French pronunciation /tɑrˈʒ/ tar-ZHAY, as though it were an upscale boutique. This trend is incorrectly believed to have been started by Oprah Winfrey, when she used the French pronunciation to refer to the store on her television show, but has actually been traced back to 1962, the year the first Target store opened. Target once sold a line of shoes called "Ms Targe"[62] this was reinforced by a 1980s television advertisement starring Didi Conn. This pronunciation has also led some people to incorrectly believe that the company is French-owned.[52] In recognition of the nickname's popularity and cachet, Target Corporation licensed its name and logo to Brand Central LLC in 2006, complete with accent over the letter "E", for a new line of clothing intended for more up-scale fashion customers. The line, "Targét Couture", was originally sold at Los Angeles-based store Intuition, which deals with high-end brands.

Sad to lose that many jobs.

As far as prices, and, stock. Had two of my biggest scores ever last year in their camera section. Nikon D3100 for less than half what Best Buy was/is charging for it...plus a Nikon point and shoot zoom for a similar deal.

The D3100 after a further price drop was under $150.

Should be some good deals during this closing.

The company my wife works for held their advertising contract here in Canada and will be affected in some way. As far as Target goes they tried to distinguish themselves from Wal Mart instead of mirroring their model as a bargain based outlet. Maybe Target should have followed in step and changed their path to distinction once they had enough of the market.

Edited by moxie

The company my wife works for held their advertising contract here in Canada and will be affected in some way. As far as Target goes they tried to distinguish themselves from Wal Mart instead of mirroring their model as a bargain based outlet. Maybe Target should have followed in step and changed their path to distinction once they had enough of the market.

I worked on the pitch for their ad business. We didn't get it or we would be losing people today too.:(

Based on last quarter showings in Canadian retail, Target is just one of a number of retailers that will be closing up. It was said some 2 years ago that the Canadian retail market was over saturated. Now that the economy is struggling, expect to see a major correction and a lot of empty stores.

A lot of people will be looking for work.

well they did not live up to the hype

stock and subsection were poor

what else did they think would happen

most of us see the US ads and thought it would be great to get some of those deals

seems they were higher priced then Zellers

The one they built here in Barrie is a huge building and it,s only been open here for I think 4-5 months. What a waste. Lose of jobs in Barrie is not good.

Maybe Sail will move in. One can only hope.LOL

If that happened, I'd be using you to pick my lottery numbers..hahahaa

They dropped the ball in a big way with distribution. Whoever was in charge of that should get the guillotine. Go a couple times to a half empty store and you will not waste more time going there. I feel for the employees, they were for the most part really helpful. Better than Wallyworld any day.