mirrorless cameras

Raf

thought i'd ask here for opinions.

looking to get an entry level dslr but have come across these mirrorless cameras. their form factor is attractive compared to the bulkier traditional dslrs but how do they compare? are they suitable for the types of shooting we outdoors people do, besides snapping pics of our catch? what are their pros and cons?

Edited by Raf

Mirrorless cameras are the future! As far as image quality goes, it really depends on the model – You’ve got APS-C, Micro 4/3, CX and Full frame mirrorless cameras each with their own pros and cons.

Most mirrorless camera bodies are quite small. With that said, stick a lens on (especially a zoom lens), and they become less pocketable unless you get some form of pancake lens or smaller prime (still lighter than a DSLR though). Battery life also isn’t as good compared to what you would get out of a DSLR. If you have large hands, you may not find mirrorless cameras as comfortable to use compared to a larger DSLR with a larger grip.

For me, I’ve been really tempted to get the Panasonic GH4 (for video), or the Sony A6000 or Fuji Xt1 (as a walk around camera for social events) or waiting for a Sony A7R mark II (if it ever comes out with better auto focus, quieter shutter and in-body stabilization). At some point in the future, I’ll probably buy a mirrorless camera and a lens or two to try out.

I have a mirrorless camera and agree with all that MJL said especially when you put on a zoom lens, the compactness is gone. With a mirrorless, I still get the LCD display to show the scene. On a DSLR you have to look through the view finder and its good for taking multiple shots in rapid succession (sports or fish jumping out of water etc). With mirrorless, its a lot slower.

• 11 months later...

a year later and lots of research and holding them in my hand i went with an olympus em10 micro four thirds. it's a pretty impressive little unit. going to stick with the kit lens for now until i figure out which focal point i do most of my shots at and get a good prime. although the 20mm-1.7 panasonic pancake prime would make this thing pretty darn pocketable.

Edited by Raf

• 1 month later...

I prefer a DSLR. Been shooting with mirrorless cameras and from what I can tell you is that you do lose

sharpness and detail. I compared my photos from a mirrorless camera with my Bros dslr. I find a huge difference in sharpness and details loss from mirrorless cameras. Been shooting birds and I can say you don't get the fine detail in the birds feathers with mirrorless cameras. I also seem to sharpen the photos a bit with software after shooting with a mirrorless camera. Looking at getting a dslr.