Just another Lake Simcoe report

tapout

Hey all,

Its been quite some time since I've posted a report or commented. I've been reading the forums a lot the last couple months and like many I was itching to get out to take some minnows for a swim. I was hoping Lady Simcoe would be kind and upsize the fish I was to put on my hook.

Yesterday Sunday, Jan 11th saw me sleep right through my alarm I had set for 3 am. When I wake up I look at the time and realize its 4:55 am. So much for my idea the night before of getting ready to leave unhurried. Stuffing random extra items of clothing into my backpack along with a random lunch which consisted of a can Grape Crush, a small bottle of OJ a power bar and a Timmies blueberry muffin. Whatever it'll do.

The drive was great and I really like that 404 extension to Woodbine Ave. The drive ended with me parking more then a kilometre from the lake. Lots made it there before me On my way out to a little "hole" I found a few years back I took my first breather - at the shore. I mumbled a few words to myself for sleeping through my alarm that can't be repeated here.

The walking conditions were pretty good with enough snow that cleats weren't really necessary. Many huts, atv's, sleds and 1 guy driving his older model sport utility out there...ballsy if you ask me. The ice was a good 7 inches thick.

As I neared the spot I mentioned earlier I noticed there was a guy almost exactly where my gps was taking me. Not wanting to be intrusive I started to veer away and then noticed he was packing up. I wandered over, said Hi and asked how he did. He said he did ok and there were some nice perch in this spot. I was more then welcome to fish the couple of holes he had drilled as he had a long drive ahead of him and had to leave. He said he comes up from Michigan a couple times a year to fish.

This spot once again didn't disappoint me. Numbers weren't the order of the day but size was, in my case anyway. My second biggest of the day was my second fish and I almost lost it. It came unhooked at the top of the hole. Next moment I was searching for a dry glove in my backpack. This perch measured in at 13 3/8ths inches. The bite pretty much grinded to a halt at around 11 and I was packing up by noon. 1 pm I arrive at where I parked. The final tally was 14 landed and 14 keepers. Smallest 9 1/2 inches and biggest 13 7/8.

I'm already looking forward to being out there again. Is it Saturday yet?

IMG_20150111_180257620_zpsb05e9aad.jpg

IMG_20150111_180405546_zpse16ae599.jpg

Edited by tapout

Thanks for the report Tapout. Great to hear from you. I always enjoy your ice reports! Those are some hog perch! I hear they are big this year, but nobody seems to be getting great numbers. I havent been out there yet....hoping i'll get there tomorrow!

S.

wow...gigantors!

I'm not sure when that pic of you was taken but I remember you with that sled at a G2G off Gilford about 10 years ago. Still use it?

Tap out

=

Tony

=

Perch reaper.

Good to here from ya bye.

Now that has a ring to it...The Perch Reaper! :thumbsup_anim:

If you're ever in need of a fishing partner when on a

walk out for a laker or whitefish I'd be happy to oblige.

I can't catch either of those for the life of me. :wallbash:

Those are some nice perch! Always nice to meet good people on the ice. On opener we couldn't get our shack moving with our atv, some guy offered to help us tow it out with his atv with tracks. We were extremely grateful and gave him $20 for his help. On his way home later that night he gave us about 6 dozen shiners. There are still good people out there!!!!

Those are some nice perch! Always nice to meet good people on the ice. On opener we couldn't get our shack moving with our atv, some guy offered to help us tow it out with his atv with tracks. We were extremely grateful and gave him $20 for his help. On his way home later that night he gave us about 6 dozen shiners. There are still good people out there!!!!

Yes I agree there are still good people out there. I had someone last year pull up beside me on a sled when I was walking to shore and offered me a ride. I accepted and pity I never got his name. Pretty much as soon as I was off his sled he was gone. I chalked it up to a random act of kindness.

jesus, if only i could catch 1 of those giant perch id be happy. Those things are huge! ive kept pickerel that size!

I was quite happy with them. The biggest one takes second place on my PB list.

I'll be out there again Saturday morning looking for its bigger siblings!

I think there is a good chance the next Ontario record perch will come from Lake Simcoe!

Awesome report and thank for this info! How were the perch? Any worms at all?

The perch were delicious! Surprisingly I didn't find one worm.