Hut Operators

Hellfish

Although I've never used his services - Casey's - has a very good reputation. Also heard several good catching reports from this past week end from his huts. Also good scoop of minnows, plus last Thursday & Friday he offered free huts for the opener! Can't beat free!

Tim Hales charges min 3 person rates for weekend hut rentals. That means my girl friend and I will have to shell out $180 for a day of perch fishing. Yeeeeea not likely. lol All these rentals I've been doing adds up to almost the same as it would have cost me to buy my own gear. Thats a sad thought.

Operators on the east side of Lake Simcoe like Floyd Hales can get ya into Perch and Lake Trout but you have to pick because the huts are in two different locations. Lake Trout water is generally deeper, so you'll have to pick Hellfish. If you're taking someone who doesn't fish often or gets bored easily, the Perch huts are a better choice, plus you'll have the additional fun of hooking into Cisco now.

this came to my inbox today if you want to compare rates

http://www.oodmag.com/fishing/ice-fishing/2014-ice-hut-rundown/

I can now see why there were about 700 portables on the bay last weekend. You can buy a complete out fit for the cost of one weekend outing. HOLLY CRAP.

I can remember paying $35 for a days outing per person. That even included a ride in one of these things.

bombardier.0.jpg

Update to my original post. Last Wednesday & Thursday I booked with Caseys. Taj (new owner) is an awesome guy. I fished for 2 days, stayed 1 night in a room at his inn. Service & hospitality was the best! Huts are clean & comfortable, as is the rooms at the inn. Servers in the restaurant do a very good job! His shuttle driver (Taylor) was a real good guy. Checked on me every couple hours to ensure I was on fish, had lottsa minnows & checked the propane. I'm going again this coming Thursday & Friday. He is very generous with the minnows! I like the fact I park in his lot, fish all day, have a nice dinner, crash for the night, breakfast the next morning the go fishing again - AWESOME!

Yep, the good old days.

Riding out in the old Bomadier.

And there was the, are we going through? Are we going to make it over that? :w00t:

Then you get to your hut,the heaters on,the beers thrown out to chill and it,s like HEAVEN we made it. Party on. :Gonefishing:

Edited by Brian B

And there was the, are we going through? Are we going to make it over that? :w00t:

Then you get to your hut,the heaters on,the beers thrown out to chill and it,s like HEAVEN we made it. Party on. :Gonefishing:

I remember being out on the laker grounds one day.

Around lunch there was a huge ice quake. The huts jumped in the air and water came out of the hole.

Seems that right by the shore where we came on in the morning a gigantic pressure ridge developed.

The outfitter brought us all the way to the ridge, and we had to climb over it to get back to shore.

I remember being in Bombardiers in the dark in wicked blizzards wondering how they didn't get lost as it was almost impossible to see the Christmas tree markers.

Tim Hales charges min 3 person rates for weekend hut rentals. That means my girl friend and I will have to shell out $180 for a day of perch fishing. Yeeeeea not likely. lol All these rentals I've been doing adds up to almost the same as it would have cost me to buy my own gear. Thats a sad thought.

Not a sad thought at all as its seasonal and I can only imagine the cost and work involved in running an operation. start working on it and before you know it you can fish where and when you want and only have to answer to how far your legs will carry you.

Not a sad thought at all as its seasonal and I can only imagine the cost and work involved in running an operation. start working on it and before you know it you can fish where and when you want and only have to answer to how far your legs will carry you.

Not disputing the work and cost involved with being a hut operator. I just think $180 for two of us to fish is more than its worth for us. But, I ended up booking floydd hales at three person rate. Will cost us $75 each which I think is more reasonable.

Edited by Steel Bunny