NF - Close-up Trail Camera Footage of a Fisher (Ottawa, Jan. 7)

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

Captured my best video trail camera footage of a fisher this past week. Very cool - and somewhat secretive animals - it is always neat to see their behaviours on film.
A coyote showed up the night before, but unfortunately, seemed to be spooked by the trail camera, and never came closer than 20 feet.

Here is the same fisher, filmed earlier in the week, trying to strong-arm my trail cam. Can only imagine what a bear would do! haha.

(watch in 1080p HD for best quality)

Cheers,

Justin

Outlaw - Although I spend a tonne of time in the woods (have hiked 194 km's in just the last three months) I have yet to ever see one. Quite elusive and very nocturnal. I have captured two different fisher in two separate locations. Both by either a swamp or creek. Saw lots of fresh tracks in this latest spot along the frozen creek, and since I had just cooked a turkey the day before (and was going to toss the neck/giblets) I decided to set it up and see what came in.

Very cool little animals for sure...

Thanks for watching.

Cheers,

Justin

Thanks, Chris. I figured the turkey throw-off's would only go to waste, so why not. Still can't believe the coyote was too spooked to come in for that fresh meat.

The other times I have used either a frozen fish fillet or chicken breast. The smallest morsel of meat and they will find it.

Cheers,

Justin

Thanks Justin for the video. I have never seen one either in the wild or on video, maybe. Until a few weeks ago when I read about a poacher trapping them illegally near Scugog I had never known they even exist. That critter looked to be thick and healthy. You couldn't have asked him to pose any better. At least it got some holiday turkey too. We have plenty of what I think are Otters that swim along the beach and run around in the big armor rock wall here. Similar but long and thinner. I thought they would only be near shallow swampy waters and we don't have any of that within many miles. Maybe they come from the woods out back. I wonder if they might be fishers, sure look similar but your guy was a lot plumper but when wet it would be much thinner like my wifes big fat cat when it falls into the lake trying to catch minnows. That I would love to catch on video. It's mother used to bring the minnows up to the deck and leave them for me. I told her a thousand times " No live bait, artificial hardware only!" I miss her sometimes. And the cat too.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks for sharing that story, Old Ironmaker. Yes, sounds like you are seeing otters. Although their name suggests it, fishers do not eat fish nor go in the water. Wonderful animals that it has been a pleasure to capture on my trail cameras.

Will be checking on them this Wednesday - always exciting to see what I have caught on tape.

Cheers,

Justin