ice fishing camera qusetions

strik

Looking for any help. What to get what not to get

A friend is looking to purchase a under water ice fishing camera. I do not know much about them I was wondering if anyone has any info on what are the better units to get or the ones to stay away from..

He is looking to stay under 300. Looking for the best all round camera

Figure you guys would be the ones to ask

Thanks a lot for all your help

I think they have limited application. If the water has poor visibility, you are obviously limited on what you can see.

Marcum probably has the best reputation. I think the Aqua Vu Micro is pretty neat, but no clue how good it is.

I really thought about getting one and decided it's not worth it for where I fish. If you fish primarily clear water, it might be more useful.\

I suggest scouring Youtube for some real videos and not those promoted by the manufacturers.

I had an aqua vu 760cz which I really liked. It's tons of fun to play with... But as others have mentioned it has limitations. In addition to visibility, keep in mind that it may spook fish (especially the LED lights) depending on the species.. I've never noticed a perch or pike take notice of it, but I think it spooks walleyes and maybe other species too. Maybe it's just my superstition though. I'm curious what other people think about whether or not it spooks some species of fish.

Either way I sold my Aqua vu camera this year when I unwrapped a marcum lx9 (flasher + camera) this year :) :)

I had an aqua vu 760cz which I really liked. It's tons of fun to play with... But as others have mentioned it has limitations. In addition to visibility, keep in mind that it may spook fish (especially the LED lights) depending on the species.. I've never noticed a perch or pike take notice of it, but I think it spooks walleyes and maybe other species too. Maybe it's just my superstition though. I'm curious what other people think about whether or not it spooks some species of fish.

Either way I sold my Aqua vu camera this year when I unwrapped a marcum lx9 (flasher + camera) this year :) :)

I used an old Aqua Vu ZT for a few seasons and the majority of the time the perch looking camera would attract fish of all species. I believe it was attacked more than 5 times by hungry pike and had the tooth marks to prove it. A couple of times the camera was pulled right to the hole and if I were fishing through a larger hole my camera would have been at the bottom of a lake. Perch would also be attracted numerous times with a little jigging of the perch camera.

On Simcoe it was easy to see bottom and fish in 25 fow with the camera pointed down (downview) and resting only a few feet below the ice. In murky water I would simply drop the camera down to the same level of the lure (sideview) and easily see the bait and fish. The IR lights on the camera were completely useless as the light reflected off every little organism and debris in the water making it nearly impossible to see anything.

They're a pain in 20+ fow when used with the camera viewing to the side as any fish swimming in circles below the hole will wrap around the cable. However, they're a game changer when the fish are being finicky and biting very light and are the best tool available for learning how fish react to different baits and actions. You wouldn't believe how many 12"+ perch can hit a bait without the angler even knowing it, even when using a spring bobber and extremely light lines. They can suck it in and spit it back out without a spring bobber signalling a hit.

On many occasions the camera turned slow and fish less days into exciting and limit filled days...

I sold it and bought a flasher, but plan on buying another underwater camera this season. It was frustrating sometimes, but using the camera is definitely worth the odd headache.

the camera is colour

but

when you start to lose light you lose the colour most times

my cameras do have lights but I never use them

in most lakes you have zooplankton and the light reflexes off it and you can't see a think