Navionics App

bassjnkie

crappy deal is I'm not aware of any phones where you can turn off cell reception and keep GPS enabled, so as mentioned it's hard on your battery, I use it mostly for getting to my spots/looking for a new area and then airplane mode

you need to download the lake maps while you have reception (maybe not an issue depending on where you fish)

I think it's handy for any angler with a smart phone

on open water it doesn't track low speed for me,<2, but wouldn't use the app for that anyways

It's not bad if I want to use it to prescout while someone else is driving the car to the lake :whistling:

Otherwise, once I'm on the water, I really prefer the actual chips. Ice fishing I could see it being useful. As others have said, it really drains your battery

only use it to plan trips on softwater or hardwater.

Then on hardwater to pinpoint a spot then its turned off.

Good app, it does what I want it to do.

I can also take points and transfer them to other units if needed.

I wouldn't worry about your battery. Nobody on earth is gonna leave the app running while they fish.

Edited by manitoubass2

It's definately worth it for an ice fisherman. I use it whenever I'm walking out. I have a sonar with navionics chip mounted on the front of my quad for when driving out, but when on foot the phone is very handy to refer too! I have a GPS capable sonar in my boat, so I haven't really used it much for that! It does work well, and I think the cost is pretty reasonable.

Don't think the android version is available yet got the Vexllar add-on, just ipad.

I use Navionics on a big 10" tablet and its pretty nice as no data is needed with the maps preloaded.

This used to be perfect but the latest version requires data for verification when you first turn it on I believe.

Was thinking of the vexilar option also but no Android support yet and the transducer seem pretty basic compared to new side sonar etc...

I like it, but I am a guy that loves looking at maps. Even without a location/GPS function I would have purchased the app. I never use it over my handheld GPS though. My phone is heavy, not very useful in the sun and the GPS drains the battery too fast.

Also, I had to purchase the app twice for the same phone. When they updated Android (?I think?) a while back it borked my version so I had to pay for the new version of Navionics. Although, I admit I, never contacted Navionics about this issue since the app is relatively inexpensive. Still, not very nice!

Edited by FishLogic

Great thanks for all the opinions and suggestions. I will always have power for my phone so that won't not a issue.. I did buy the app and yes I love it.. I searched known carp spot that I was told was 40 feet of water and turns out to be 22 FOW.. LOL I recommend this app to those that like to research spots.. Thanks again all

I like it for trolling, as it keeps my tacks on file. I am considering getting the sonar phone transducer from vexilar to go with my navionics on ipad

I've got the Vexilar T-Box. It's pretty sweet with a tablet, split screen with GPS and a fishfinder. Only downside is I need to bring a power bank along or else I run out of battery before the days over. Also pretty cool that everyone can connect their smartphones to it at the same time. I actually got it as a gift along with 2 co-workers. One of there's hasn't even left the office. Just asked if he wanted to sell it, he said sure in case you're interested!

Im blessed use an ipad with a SIM card ( provided by work) I can see my exact location while out on the lake. I think even without data you can get the maps ( they are preloaded) I'm just not sure about location services, I'm not to techie my self.

Edited by Freshtrax

Guest SurraTusa

Pretty portion of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your forum posts. Any way I will be subscribing in your augment or even I fulfillment you access constantly quickly.