How to keep finger tips warm in the winter

okumasheffield

get severe frost bite on your finger tips. not enough to have them cut off, just enough to cause nerve damage j/k.

I find some gear better then others but nothing is perfect for my hands. its give and take. one thing for sure is avoid alcohol or stimulants of any kind

I find the best thing is to keep moving. Ive fished without a shack in -40's and stayed plenty warm just by moving. drill a few extra holes even.

In the event of frozen fingers. There are 2 spots on the body guaranteed to thaw out the digits quick. The first one is to shove your hands into your armpits. I don't think I need to spell out spot #2

Personally, I like the old Ronson pocket warmers.

Edited by bigugli

My pops has a big issue with his hands hurting when they get cold. He has frost bitten them as well as burned them so even 40F is enough to cause him pain. I have tried all of the toys but they are either to heavy/ bulky or for some reason failed. I bought him a set of these

http://www.ventureheat.com/battery-heated-gloves/26-heated-glove-liners.html

They are not bulky and you can wear them under a set of gloves including rubber ones. So far they heat up within 45 seconds and the high temperature will drive your hands out in less than a minute. The battery packs work very well and with intermittent use on low or medium last longer than an eight hour trip.

Art

I find the best thing is to keep moving. Ive fished without a shack in -40's and stayed plenty warm just by moving. drill a few extra holes even.

Yup, I agree with Manitoubass2...movement helps a lot. One of the reasons I like using manual augers is they warm you up in a hurry. If my hands get cold, sometimes just swinging my arms around like a windmill a few times gets the blood flowing back to the finger tips as well...if other fisherman are around though they just might look at ya kinda funny!

Keeping moving around helps warm your whole body, but when ice fishing I find lots of time when I'm staying put in one place for a while. I use those hot shot warmers and put them right in the palm of my hand. You can put them on the outside of your hand as well if you find it impeded fishing. They sell them for boots too if your feet get cold as well. I've used the metal hand warmers too but find them a bit bulky.

This! Believe it or not, it works. Best way to warm your hands is to start off by getting them really cold. That gets the blood pumping to your digits, and they stay warm.

If I get super cold in the winter while ice fishing or steelheading, a quick dip of my hands into the water usually solves the problem.

This! Believe it or not, it works. Best way to warm your hands is to start off by getting them really cold. That gets the blood pumping to your digits, and they stay warm.

I was skeptical at first as well, but man it works! lol!! Like you said the blood starts to pump (they turn bright red) and after about a minute back in my gloves I'm golden.

I was skeptical at first as well, but man it works! lol!! Like you said the blood starts to pump (they turn bright red) and after about a minute back in my gloves I'm golden.

it doesnt have to be a dip in the water either.

just intentionally getting your hands cold quickly works.

i did it all the time in the oilfield too.

its funny cause your hands stay waaaay warmer waaaay longer this way.

works with your feet too

For ice fishing I always hit the dollar store/canadian tire before each season. I pick up a full box of the hot packs that go in your boots as they are really thin and I find the inexpensive thin knit gloves but they have to have some wool content. I use these gloves all ice fishing season under my heavy gloves. I buy several pairs and just swap a pair out if they get wet during the day.

When it's really cold I slip into the palm a thin hot pack. I can jig right handed or left handed while I put the other hand in my pocket to let the hot pack warm everything back up.

I use the metal hand warmers. The type you add lighter fluid and light them. I also have artic armour mitts - but they're too bulky to fish with.[/quote Ditto on the metal hand warmer. I have a giant size peacock warmer]

BillM, on 08 Jan 2015 - 08:27 AM, said:snapback.png

If I get super cold in the winter while ice fishing or steelheading, a quick dip of my hands into the water usually solves the problem.

I agree with this 100%...

When I was a kid my dad used to say make a snow ball, or dip them in the water.

All of the above works for me.

But in truth I find if I tough it out...they come just "come back."

its like and adjustment period or somthing???

Now that being said, I don't recommend just toughing it out if you're going numb.

Thats a bad sign.

Here is a link to some cold weather tips as well as the mechanics of what your body does when it gets cold. It kind of puts the rub your hands in snow or dip in water theory in question. While it mentions it as a women thing it actually is mostly for both sexes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2277153/So-THATs-womens-feet-hands-cold---Its-hormones.html

Art