First ice fishing trip of 2015 - Lake Couchiching

BFSC Kevin

Hey gang,
So for the first trip of 2015, I decided to hit up Lake Couch for some perch action. I bumped into a couple fellas at the lake access who were at Lake St. John earlier and stated the ice was still sketchy over there.
After the quick chat, my buddy and I headed out and made our way to about 20 FOW and got into the fish right away. We got plenty of fish in the 10-12" range and kept a few for the dinner table.
Enjoy.

Great video once again, that looked like fun, minus the lugging of the equipment. :) Btw, I really like that portable fish finder setup, is that a custom build? Or did it come that way? Would like to make the exact same setup as that. Any info would be appreciated. Your other video's on your channel are cool too.

Very cool video... I'm more and more impressed every time you post one.

I'm not sure if it's the camara angle or not.... But that hut looks like a mansion! Especially the inside shots.

What a great day of fishing guys.

As do St. John, where did you check on the ice? Usually St john freezes up before the cooch

G

Thanks all for the kind words.

Great video once again, that looked like fun, minus the lugging of the equipment. :) Btw, I really like that portable fish finder setup, is that a custom build? Or did it come that way? Would like to make the exact same setup as that. Any info would be appreciated. Your other video's on your channel are cool too.

The portable fish finder was a mod I did myself. This lowrance unit is from my boat but I use for ice fishing during the hard water times. I guess I could make a video of how I have it set up. :good:

great job on the video, that must have taken a lot of editing and a few cameras ....

I did bring a few cameras to shoot this. And it did take several hours to go through all the footage and edit it.

Very cool video... I'm more and more impressed every time you post one.

I'm not sure if it's the camara angle or not.... But that hut looks like a mansion! Especially the inside shots.

What a great day of fishing guys.

As do St. John, where did you check on the ice? Usually St john freezes up before the cooch

G

Having a 6 man hut is pretty spacious :good: but it is a bit heavier and cost more to heat up. I didn't check out St John myself, it was the guys I bumped into at Couch that told me that.

Wow great first trip of 2015. How thick is the ice at Couchiching?

Cool video, by the way.

Ice was at least 6" where I was.

Great video man.

Way way way to much set up for me though.... I would much rather open hole it. Specially early in the season. Gotta get your paws used to the cold!!! I guess it all in the name of a good video though, so well worth it!

Keeps the videos coming!!!

Hey gang,
So for the first trip of 2015, I decided to hit up Lake Couch for some perch action. I bumped into a couple fellas at the lake access who were at Lake St. John earlier and stated the ice was still sketchy over there.
After the quick chat, my buddy and I headed out and made our way to about 20 FOW and got into the fish right away. We got plenty of fish in the 10-12" range and kept a few for the dinner table.
Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxH7JLVdhc&feature=youtu.be

Thanks all for the kind words.

The portable fish finder was a mod I did myself. This lowrance unit is from my boat but I use for ice fishing during the hard water times. I guess I could make a video of how I have it set up. :good:

That would be great Kevin! It's an excellent setup and will suit me perfectly when I pick up my Helix 5 this spring. Thanks.

Edited by Hooked

Thanks for the video, I really enjoyed it!

I stopped fishin Couch a few years ago, as I found that most if not all the perch I was catching, were wormy. Did you happen to find this as well or were those perch pretty clean?

Again, thanks for posting!

HH

Great video man.

Way way way to much set up for me though.... I would much rather open hole it. Specially early in the season. Gotta get your paws used to the cold!!! I guess it all in the name of a good video though, so well worth it!

Keeps the videos coming!!!

You gotta do what you gotta do!

LOL

That would be great Kevin! It's an excellent setup and will suit me perfectly when I pick up my Helix 5 this spring. Thanks.

I'll get on that soon.

Thanks for the video, I really enjoyed it!

I stopped fishin Couch a few years ago, as I found that most if not all the perch I was catching, were wormy. Did you happen to find this as well or were those perch pretty clean?

Again, thanks for posting!

HH

I didn't keep any perch myself, it was the buddy that came along that took all the perch. I have seen/heard reports of there being grubs in them this ice season.

awesome video! Looked like a good work out with all the hiking and setting up! Two best buds till the end. hah

YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO COME! told you to come!

It is nice to be young and talented. Now I know why the old timers way back when invited us to ice fish with them, drill the many holes for them with manual augers and set up the old Army tent. My 1st ever ice trip was on Couch. Ever thought about getting a few sled dogs?

Don't want to sound like a broken record but cool video guys, keep up the great work.

I have to say you guys sure fit a lot of equipment into that little red SUV you drive.

Edited by Old Ironmaker