Knife repair?

Gerritt

SWMBO, dropped her favorite kitchen knife the other day on our tile kitchen floor. Snapping about 1/2-3/4 of an inch off the tip of the knife.... It's not a terribly expensive knife (heinkle) worth about 75 bucks but it is her favorite.... She doesn't like my Nella knives as she finds them too heavy....

Is this knife repairable? Is it even worth it?

If anyone has any insight it would be appreciated.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Why repair it? Just use it as is. It's only the tip missing. I don't think any or my Henkel's have the tips left, and they are the old German ones. Seem to be fairly brittle steel.

Burt :)

Mine are all burnt at the ends :whistling: but still serve there purpose, and remind me of the days gone by, without any hang over afterwards

Gerrit the ability to make the knife whole is very expensive. The blade will need to be broken down and then reforged to restore it to it's former length. You can regrind it to the correct shape however it means the knife blade section will using part of the knife called the spline as a cutting edge. Most spines are made of a tempered steel that is more ridgid but softer on edge retention. Replacing it at $75.00 is a lot cheaper most of the knifes I regrind cost 125 - 300 dollars to get them to have the same flexibility as the did before they were shortened.

Art

Depending on which knife it is (chef, carving, utility etc.) the balance will be off if you've lost a bit off the end. I would buy her another knife to replace this one. Probably not worth investing in a Japanese blade ;) Take her to Nikolauo or Tap Phong and let her go crazy ;)

Gerrit the ability to make the knife whole is very expensive. The blade will need to be broken down and then reforged to restore it to it's former length. You can regrind it to the correct shape however it means the knife blade section will using part of the knife called the spline as a cutting edge. Most spines are made of a tempered steel that is more ridgid but softer on edge retention. Replacing it at $75.00 is a lot cheaper most of the knifes I regrind cost 125 - 300 dollars to get them to have the same flexibility as the did before they were shortened.

Art

I would say that a commercial knife blank is roughly the same hardness throughout, albeit some work hardening takes place during grinding.

Actually the annealing and tempering are done before the grinding. The blade if ground correctly is done without letting the blade getting hotter than comfortable touched. I have both the shaping belt grinder and the water grinding machines to keep the blades from being weakened. Almost all of the hand forged blades are made of a composite of metals to give it the qualities that make a knife of superior feel and quality. If you are dealing with mass produced knifes then you are basically getting a piece of steel that was either lazer/cct(waterjet) cut or even worse stamped. Don't get me wrong they work but hardly qualify as a work of Art.

Art

Haha!! Get someone to grind it down to shape. The balance will be off but it can still be used as a chopping or hacking knife (think squash and turnips). I use a 10 dollar Kitchen Aid Santoku knife that I bought at CT on special and it is great. Better than my CutCo chefs knife and a Henkels that I have. It holds a half decent edge that I touch up with my shrpening steel. It is shorter and very handy. Mind you, everyone else likes their own knives up at the cottage.

Mine are all burnt at the ends :whistling: but still serve there purpose, and remind me of the days gone by, without any hang over afterwards

Hahahaha!

I keep misplacing mine, and my wife always asks where the hell all the butter knives went! ... But I can't remember

I returned a henckels knife that I dropped which broke where the blade meets the handle. That replaced it free. I later tried to return a henckels which I chipped/gouged while abusing it, possibly trying to hack through bone, possibly a cutting board. I know it was something stupid and I admitted as much, not surprisingly I was unable to to make a warranty claim although I believe they did offer me a considerable discount on a new one. Maybe inquire with them if you liked the knife, you never know.

Burnt the tips of the knives. I almost chocked on my medicinal stupid stick. Actually I had to ask Tia what it meant. I never went to college when I was a kid so I never smoked stupid stick, she knew what it meant right away. That is funny, very good.

College?? I was already a grizzled vet by then! ;) lol