Tire chain Advice.

Cookslav

I'm just looking for some feed back on tire chains.

So my dilema is this...

I have a camp, its remote and I have an easy 6km drive along an old logging road which we maintain reasonably well.

Its a hard packed road with a lot of crushed stone and gravel...

To put it bluntly in the summer if you drive slow you can take a 2 wheel drive car back there and you "might" bottom out or spin in a muddy spot on a bad day, but most times you'd get in unscathed.

Most of the road is flat, and a bit windy but only 2 spots have much of an incline that would concern me.

However I am most certainly NOT an off road junkie, and have ZERO experience with tire chains.

So I am oblivious to how much or how little advantage they add to your traction in a 100% untouched snow on gravel situation.

Right now with this mild winter, I know there is currently maybe 5cm of snow (if any) on the ground but between now and Saturday there may be 10-15cm on the bush road.

I was thinking of making a trip in to the camp to drop off some supplies this saturday for an up comming Ice fishing trip I have planned at the end of January (assuming the ice comes lol...)

I have no snow mobiles, and no ATV so we'll be walking back to the camp.

I just thought while I have some free time next weekend...if its possible...it might not be a bad idea to run up next weekend and drop off all our gear so that when we hump it back in 3 weeks we're just walking our selves in with some bait, and grub....nice and light.

Anyway...

Its a long winded back story and the only real question I have is

How much snow would you say is "to much snow" for full sized 4x4 truck with tire chains.

My gut says 6" would be my comfort zone but then again I am a rookie here.

Has anyone here ever done something like this?

Can anyone enlighten me a bit :canadian:

Thanks!

Edited by Cookslav

Weight in the truck going in will help.. then you have a path to stay on coming out.

These pictures are with my F150 on Goodyear All seasons...

Thats helpful to see as I also have all seasons on my Silverado.

I think my nervousness is there is not much room for error lol....no tow truck is comming to get me back there.

The strait flat parts should be good, its the inclines that make me nervous.

How much snow is that Wayne?

Foot and half??

16-18 inches for a truck with snow tires and chains, no problem. Weight helps like Wayne said. Driver experience helps a lot and remember that momentum will get you through some of the bad stuff. If you let off the gas you loose forward momentum and start to dig in. Are there any trees that are along the roadway? If so a 4000lb come a long is a great tool with a 50' tow strap. http://www.princessauto.com/en/search?Dy=1&Nty=1&Ntt=comealong

Anyway...

Its a long winded back story and the only real question I have is

How much snow would you say is "to much snow" for full sized 4x4 truck with tire chains.

My gut says 6" would be my comfort zone but then again I am a rookie here.

Has anyone here ever done something like this?

Can anyone enlighten me a bit :canadian:

Thanks!

depends on the snow and how it's packed really...i've gone through 2 to 3' of fresh sugary powder, 4x4,duratracs/mud tires with no chains, no issue at all

hard packed snow is much different, get high centred and you're digging to get going again, but keep rolling smoothly without spinning you're usually ok...if you pack a portable compressor dropping the psi will help a bit

for what you described wouldn't think you'd need chains, but definitely get the vbar chains if you're buying chains and chain up before you think you need it

I never measured it.. but looks like the center of my 18" wheel + the tire.. so about 16/17 inches.

And what ^^ said... take a winch with you.. at least a "come along" in case you get off the set track. Experience of growing up in the Ottawa Valley and never missing a ski lift start up helps as well ! :worthy:

You should be able to go pretty good until you high centre. That what has killed me every time in heavy snowfall. If you intend to keep the camp long term, your best to eventually invest in a used quad and a beater snowmobile. You can pick up an older honda 4trax for under 3k depending when your buying, and a good fan cooled sled for 1k just to go back and forth. You can drive to the front doors of our camp all summer and fall, but winter and spring end that with heavy snow, then soft trail in the spring. Additional expense for sure, but no concerns then, like you say, no tow truck coming!

Edited by porkpie

my all wheel drive chevy travers handled 14" or so like a champ today no problems.

I dont think chains or anything would be needed with a 4x4 truck.

I drove some gnarly bush roads in the oilfields and never needed chains.

just drive smart and be confident.

most people get stick when they second guess themselves or their vehicle and lose momentum.

You'll be fine in a 4x4 truck right now. No worries. Lock her in, and go. You wont even know there is snow on the rd. If your afraid, pick me up on the way by and i'll drive :)

S.

Good to know ;)

So far I'm still planning to give her a whirl, with some chains, and a jack....I can use the jack regardless, so thats the plan.

recommend the tire strap with the jack, pretty cheap..as mentioned new gen bumpers are useless

http://www.amazon.ca/Hi-Lift-LM100-Jack-LM-100-Lift-Mate/dp/B00042KGWG

if you plan to get into some offroading more often, another use piece of kit here, but not necessary for casual winching

http://www.amazon.ca/Hi-Lift-Jack-ORK-Off-Road-Kit/dp/B00042KQ58

but this is likely all overkill for that snow you expect to encounter, but quicklypays for it self the first time you get your truck in a jam off the beaten path

I made it home alive and with my Truck :good:

Snow depth was over a 16" in some area's but in the bush it was pretty consistant at about 12"

I did make it there and back but not with out some adversity though lol...

The Guy at princess auto sold me the wrong sized chains, and me being a dumb ass took him at his word and

Didn' test them prior to leaving....so I got there, and attempted to put them on and realized I'd be going in without them.

I did have a come along and a 40' tow strap but I didn't need them luckily.

The Strait aways and small inclines were no problem, but I had to take a few runs at a several hills and one in particular that proved a bit hairy....

I had to come down a hill make a quick left then a quick right and then hammer down to get up a steep and "thin" incline...I didn't make it and the spinnign tires had my butt end slideing out. Which was a problem considering I had frozen swamp on either side of the hill. I made 4 runs before finally pulling over the top, but what a ride....I didn't have more then 10yards of strait road to gain enough speed to climb a steep 30 yard hill...

I'm really glad I made it because there was no room to turn around and I don't think backing out up the hill I had just come down was an option :lol:

Anyway,

Long story made short...I have proper sized v-bar chains on the way for the next trip.

Hopefully the snow pack stays light up there.