My Crappie season so far

NAW

Well, I haven't posted a report in a long time. So, I'm gunna spend a few minutes typing here. Fell free to skip my rambling, and just look at some pic of the season Crappie so far!!

2014 has been a rough year for me. Some of the guys here know my deal. I don't want to get in to the fine details. But basically, I decided to leave a very toxic relationship with my wife. Had to sell everything, and start from scratch. But I have a new girlfriend, and some blinding lights at the end of the tunnel!!

So enough with the old, and on with the new right.

A new ice fishing season that is!!!!

The weather has been funky this year. But I have a lake that's "local" which tents to lock up early, and ride out the warm crap. I went out 3 weeks ago, and there was 5.5" is some spots. Thinnest was 3.5". It was a solo trip, and I showed up at 11:30, fished for an hour, and went home with 2 slabs. I have only fished this lake a few times, but I have a really good feeling about it. So my plan was to hit it a few times this year early season, and really put some time in trying to find some spots.

I went back with Jeremy84, on Christmas eve. Fished the morning, in the rain. Left with 25 decent fish. Found out that my new girlfriend LOVES fresh pan fried Crappie. She actually asked if next time, she can just sit on the counter and eat them as they come out of the pan!! My kind of woman!!!!

Fishing in the rain was interesting. There was 4" of snow that melted fast, and lots of rain coming down. So the water was just pouring down the holes like a funnel, like a toilet bowl. White foam swirling around in the hole.. All the crap washing down the hole was causing interference on my fish finder. But we got in to some fun action, so it was well worth it! And a morning on the ice with Jeremy is always fun. He's a classy character to say the least!! Crazy enough, there was up to 7" of clear black ice in some spots. Thinnest was 5.5".

It was warm all week, and not good ice weather. I went back today with Livinisfishin (Jay). The ice took a beating. On average, it was 2" thinner. But still safe. We worked the schools all morning before figuring them out. I ended the day with 17 keepers, and a bunch threw back. It was a prefect day out there. The weather was great. And Jay was slammin the fish, and having a blast! It's always fun seeing big slabs being hoisted with ultra light rods.

There's only a few days now before the real fishing season starts. But I have enough crappie in the freezer for 3 meals, and my jigging itch has been officially scratched!!! I think my next outing will be an evening pickerel fish next weekend.

I few from my first outing, in the pan.

image_zps57930fef.jpg

3 weeks ago. 4.5" solid black, Somewhere in Simcoe County

IMG_20141213_123108_zps874e5c0e.jpg

Re-stocking at Cabalas

IMG_20141223_170335_zps4f2aca28.jpg

The haul when I was out with Jeremy84 on Xmas Eve

IMG_20141224_113146_zpsa495ba9b.jpg

Nothing big. But still with the old elblow lock pose.

IMG_20141224_113224_zpsc17eaa84.jpg

The boy is growing like a weed!

image_zpsa56c12e2.jpg

Morning warmth

image_zpsd2734848.jpg

My tackle all rusted. So I spend 2 hours washing it. Bought a new waterproof tackle box to stop that from happening again.

image_zps3f0f4a1f.jpg

The haul from this morning. The biggest was just shy of 11".

image_zps83631281.jpg

Couple pound of meat. Some for lunch tomorrow, and some for later this season.

image_zps3aa798a1.jpg

One a side note. I bought a ice transducer for my humminbird 565. $120 at Cabalas. $90 at canadian tire. Exact same unit. Cabalas also does not carry waterproof tackle bins.... I am actually not happy with their fishing section at all.

Hopefully my next report will be some big old early season muskoka pickerel!!!

Great stuff Nick.. well other than the first part. Guess I can sell those aerial pics of the house to the next guy! lol

Looks like a nice smile behind all that tackle as well.

Cabelas... most stuff can be had most anywhere else for about 60% of the cost. Like my auger head cover.. $59.99 at Cabelas.. $31.95 just about anywhere else.

Edited by irishfield

Nick, it was an absolute blast to get out on the ice with you. Normally I don't do too well ice fishing so to go out and get a nice feed like that was defiantly a treat.

The company was great also. Highlight so far from this ice fishing season.

(driving to the lake, listening to the radio)

Nick: This is a strange time of the year. We've got two big burly guys, driving to go ice fishing, listening to 'Frosty the snowman'.

tealake_zps6cbc150a.jpg

Crappie new year everyone!