Looking for a new top water rod

AdamS

So I'm looking for a new top water rod for bass and just wanted to find out what you guys are using or recommend. I looked at the Fenwick's a while back (I think the elite tech or aetos) and thought about the st. croix legend tournaments, but just thought I'd see what the rest of you are using.

Hi Adam,

If you look at the St Croix, G Loomis, and Fenwick website they are all pretty consistent with this application which is a medium weight, fast or extra fact, in the 6'6" to 6'8" range.

These rods also work great as a lighter jerk bait, drop shot, or shaky-head bass rig. IN addition, a medium weight jig (1/4 - 1/2 oz) jig or snap-jig rod for walleye.

I use a vintage Fenwick Goldenwing (6'6", med, fast) spinning rod w/8lb mono for this with good results.

All depends on what you're throwing.

Poppers 6'8" spinning rod, fast tip, med action with 8lb braid

Walk the dog (spooks) 6'8"-7' casting rod med Hvy with a fast tip. 10-15lb braid over weeds. Open water 10-12lb floro

Frogs 7'5"-8' Hvy broom stick with a softer tip. 65-80lb braid.

I prefer gloomis GL2 and the bass technique series. The new Shimano crucials and cumaras are very nice aswell

Luke V kinda touched on it, but are you looking for spinning or baitcaster? I had the 2013 crucial jerkbait spinning rod with the clicking reel seat, paired with a symetre 2500 with xship that I quite liked, got it for $130 brand new, eventually they went as low as 99.99, great deal. It broke in the fall, and I just recently got it replaced with the 2014 crucial due to the older spinning being out of stock. Last of their life time warranty, now its only one year. I cant wait to use this rod, the old one was good for poppers. Also have a dobyns savy series that i love. Higher priced rods, but the way they feel are worth it. A good rod at a nicer price is the veratis 2.0 for $90. They came out with quite a few models, pretty 'uch pick a length, power and action and off you go.