High end reels

Freshtrax

I bet, But my question is would a 90 dollar Sahara explode?

Not likely. But I did have a symetre blow up on me right out of the box, first night of use. Only time I've ever had a problem with a shimano reel that wasn't abuse/excessive use related. Even their lower priced stuff is pretty durable! I have landed a couple of smaller Muskie on a stradic ci4 1000 series while pickerel fishing, and boy that reel is pretty smooth. Then again, I've landed dozens of incidental Muskie over 20 years on a diawa ss700 during spring pickerel opening, so I would expect at least as much from the stradic!

I love high end gear. It is made with the best materials and parts and you rarely have issues with it. As another guy mentioned once you have fished with a high end rod like a G.Loomis NRX you will find it hard to justify spending $100 on a rod to flip jigs with. When you consider the higher end rods are half the weight 2x the sensitivity and just feel better in your hand all day long it pays for it's self. I get to fish 20-40 days a year and I'll be dammed if I let crappy equipment stop me from making 1000 perfect casts each day, I don't want a gear to slip, i want the drag to be perfect and i don't like fatigue. Lighter reels and balanced setups are more comfortable in your hand and let you focus on fishing rather than that 10oz reel and 6oz rod making your wrist soar after a 10hr day on the lake.

It's no different with any other thing in this world. A high end lure is usually airbrushed, uses good quality hooks and split rings an won't rust when wet or fall apart easily. It's no different with rods and reels in you get what you pay for. I've burnt through reels before, $100 spinning and bait casters. If you consider the 3 or 4 reels you might burn out over 10 or 15 years vs the 1 Stradic or Stella you might buy and have last the same time you really aren't paying more in the end. The question is are you a weekend warrior or passionate serious fisherman who gets out for a few weeks each season. I learned quick when you have a opportunity to grab something high end on sale do it! I've grown so much as a angler the last 5 or 6 years and the better equipment has helped me catch more and learn more about fishing. Reels made in Japan are a hit in my books. Quality and refinement is much better.

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Fish Farmer. The reason your anti reverse quits in the cold may be because the oil or grease is too thick or there is too much in the bearing. Clean the anti reverse bearing. All it is is some roller bearings in a plastic or metal race that drop into a position that basically jams the handle to keep it from turning. If the lube is too thick when it is cold, it will prevent this from happening. You don't even need to lubricate this bearing if you don't want to. Not hard to get to and clean. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Larry. I've tried a few times lucubrating with light machine oil, 3in1 electric motor oil. Next time I may as you say wash, dry, and no oil.

But just the thought of no oil makes me think it will wear out, but I'll give it a try.

I bet, But my question is would a 90 dollar Sahara explode?

No.. If a 2500 Sahara can handle a 30lb king, it can handle a wimpy 44in muskie :)

I've also used them down in Florida on 5lb saltwater fish that fight harder then anything I've experienced in freshwater.. You'll be just fine. A little maintenance goes a long way.

Edited by BillM

More than likely, a Sedona will not explode on you anytime soon if tat is what you want to buy.

I would however recommend stepping up to the Symetre though since it has a few extra features for not a whole lot more.

X-ship alone (a bearing supported pinion gear) will add to how long the reel lasts because it helps keep everything alignment while under a large load.

I remember when 25-30 bucks bought you a top end reel and 3 grand bought you a new car.

I remember when Mitchell 300's were under 20 bucks and buying a new 68 Beetle for $1995 , actually I splurged and paid a 100 more for the deluxe model with the AM radio and a gas heater.

I love chucking hardware for salmon and rainbows, mostly 3/4oz spoons and some #4 spinners. It seems to be hard on spinning reels(or I got the worst luck)as I'm on my 3rd in as many seasons. I assume it's all the cranking, those spinners have quite a bit of resistance. The reels don't explode, but they've developed tight spots which tells me it's faulty bearings. I don't buy the most expensive models, usually somewhere in the middle. The last reel to let me down was a Saros and it didn't last long at all...not even 1 season which was a huge disappointment after spending $150, the most I've ever spent on a spinning reel. I often wonder how a Stradic would have held up? However, after doing some research I've decided to give a Daiwa Tournament SS 1600 a try, apparently you can't kill these things - got my fingers crossed.

Some reels are just outrageously priced for what they actually are though or, even how well they actually perform over a similar reel at lesser cost. High end too but at what cost to manufacture? Mark-up on fishing stuff in general is over-the-top for what it is and costs to produce, and most of us know that.

Fished alongside many guys with better rods and reels than my own, and the end results had pretty well nothing to do with our differences in gear.

I love my stradics and they hold up awesome.

But before I bought any high end gear I started with the cheapest walmart combos, moved to middle range, then to high end gear.

To be honest, I prefer rods like the Clarus etc, $70-100 range.

For reels I buy one gem I found 5 years ago and with a cleaning each season they hold up and are just awesome cheap reels. The Okuma Avenger in the 20 and 30 series. Very durable and great smooth drags. No ploblems even handling big stugeon. There on all my kids rods, a few of mine and all my ice rods. I own probably 10 of them and none have had an issue. Can't beat the $40 price tag either?

I love chucking hardware for salmon and rainbows, mostly 3/4oz spoons and some #4 spinners. It seems to be hard on spinning reels(or I got the worst luck)as I'm on my 3rd in as many seasons. I assume it's all the cranking, those spinners have quite a bit of resistance. The reels don't explode, but they've developed tight spots which tells me it's faulty bearings. I don't buy the most expensive models, usually somewhere in the middle. The last reel to let me down was a Saros and it didn't last long at all...not even 1 season which was a huge disappointment after spending $150, the most I've ever spent on a spinning reel. I often wonder how a Stradic would have held up? However, after doing some research I've decided to give a Daiwa Tournament SS 1600 a try, apparently you can't kill these things - got my fingers crossed.

that doesn't sound like a bearing, sounds like gears are binding...do your reels get dunked in the river? I would imagine shimano would take care of you no questions asked, they have good service

I have a 12 yr old stradic, replaced a few bearings and drag washers once, strip and clean during the winter, still going strong

that doesn't sound like a bearing, sounds like gears are binding...do your reels get dunked in the river? I would imagine shimano would take care of you no questions asked, they have good service

I have a 12 yr old stradic, replaced a few bearings and drag washers once, strip and clean during the winter, still going strong

The reels have never been dunked or abused. I thought it was gears at first too, but after inspecting the gears looked fine. Actually replaced some bearings and it made the reel usable again. Not picking on Shimano either, happened to an Abu Garcia as well.

I often wonder how a Stradic would have held up? However, after doing some research I've decided to give a Daiwa Tournament SS 1600 a try, apparently you can't kill these things - got my fingers crossed.

I throw a lot of hardware for steelhead as well, and you're right it's hard on reels.

Been using a Stradic CI4 4000 for two seasons now and so far it's rock solid. Even though it's a bigger reel it still weighs only 9oz and balances perfectly on my rods. Larger spool is a big aid in casting as well.

Daiwa Tournament reels are old technology but still have one of the best drags on the market. It's not a bad choice but don't get the 1600, it's montrously huge and heavy. Get the 1300.

won't find anything better than the original Zebco Cardinal 4 reels!

I thought the same for years. I fished a Cardinal 3 that I used since childhood, until last year.

I bought a Saros 2500 FA and the difference is incredible. The newer reel with Instant Anit-Reverse kept fish on the hook. At least three nice Largies this summer, hit with my rod in the wrong position for hookset. With the new reel and the X-ship, quick snap of the wrist and set, my old reel would've taken a long sweep before the anti reverse kicked in.

The Saros is a gorgeous reel for the price. $169 puts it in the middle and its def worth it

Try a Stradic, might be over $200 bucks but you won't waste 100-150 3 or 4 years in a row. The nice thing is after a few years use you can get the reel serviced and it will be ready for more.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Try a Stradic, might be over $200 bucks but you won't waste 100-150 3 or 4 years in a row. The nice thing is after a few years use you can get the reel serviced and it will be ready for more.

In that price range I'd pick up a used Sustain FE.. I run a 1000 for pretty much everything and a 3000 for pier duty.

I run a number of Ci4 reels (1000's, many 3000's, and two 4000's).

They hold up nicely, albeit a little flex.

My problem was the 4000 sized reel's drags died during the first season. Shimano replaced them without issue, but not just one, but both Ci4 4000 drags....but again, that is due to SALMON (all other species I've caught from trout to bass to pike etc were fine).

The sustain reel is hands down better than the Ci4, but, of course costs another $100 on top of the Ci4 price.

I just picked up a used Stella for $325.....used can often be the way to go.

Edited by Steve