New Tattoo (fishing related)

mepps

Hi Everybody!

It's been a while since I've made a new post, but there will be more to come! It’s been a busy year and with a new addition (it’s a boy!) to the family in May (Just in time for pike season) I haven't hit the water as much as normally would. I did find the time to finally start working on a tattoo I have had planned for years. Each fish represents a time and place in my life.

1. The catfish - This represents my time spent fishing in Virginia in a private pond back when I was 5-6 years old. My parents had just split up and we relocated from the BVI to Virginia to stay with family friends while we planned where were were going to go next. I spent hours fishing this little pond with my buddy, often with a bamboo rod. We caught plenty of panfish, but we always had a blast when a big ole cat would come along and take our bait. These are my earliest memories of fishing, and the time where my addiction truly began.

2. The smallmouth - fast forward a few years to Ontario, location Jack Lake. Another family friend had picked up a cottage on the North east side of the lake in the early 90s. This is where I really learned about the joys of bass fishing. These days the lake can be tough to fish, and I primarily target musky when I do visit the lake - but those days chasing bass on Jack Lake taught me the importance of using the right lure at the right time at the right place.

3. The pike - I was torn between getting a musky or a pike tattoo. These days at least 80% of my fishing is dedicated to musky, but I decided pike fishing is where it all started. I can remember the very first time I saw a pike, it was watching Bob Izumi's fishing (probably 20 years ago!) and he had caught an absolute monster pike, well over 40 inches. I went to bed dreaming of that monster and in 2003 I realized that I didn't have to go way up north for big pike, we had them right here in Toronto. I joined OFC back in 2004 to show off some of the awesome pike Jon and I had caught at the Islands.

4. The brook trout – When I moved out east to Halifax 7 years ago I was heartbroken to be leaving behind my pike and musky. I quickly learned that while the brook trout of Nova Scotia don’t get too big, they are unmatched in their beauty. With light gear I explored small rivers and roadside ditches teaming with brookies. I haven’t targeted brook trout since I moved back to Ontario a couple of years ago, but the memories of these fish are as vivid as their colours.

I am 8.5 hours in so far, and there are a good 8 hours left to go. The work was done by Scott Duncan (fisherman/fly tier/artist/hunter) at Sugarshack Tattoo in Kincardine, Ontario. (http://www.sugarshacktattoo.com)

The pictures! These are are early photos, and there is additional detailing that will be added during the final sitting.

The initial planning sketch.

sketch.jpg

The outline

outline.jpg

The catfish

catfish.jpg

The smallmouth

bass.jpg

The Pike

pike.jpg

Edited by Fishing Fury

ughhh

This fall i heavily planned to get a tattoo of a pike done on my leg, but the funding didnt work itself out and now im stuck only dreaming of what could have been.

I even had the concept ready to go, and had a consultation with an artist. Oh well maybe some day.

Nice tats though, like your choice of colour realism, much the same as my idea.

Clive, that's wicked man! I'm working on a piece myself... It needs a ton more work done to it but once I have the art down to what I'm looking for next I have to find a good artist. Might have to travel back to hamilton to get it done from the folks at matamata or cottage13... I wear pieces from those two shops currently...

Nice to see you here and posting again bro. If your ever in the Quinte area send me a msg.

image-7.jpg

Early stage art from one of the artists of Ren&Stimpy... No joke looking forward to the finished product

G