Waiting for the ice Cabo style

Mike P

This past week, waiting for some ice has had a little different meaning to me.

IMG_1165_zps002a5c55.jpg

Cabo San Lucas Mexico. Arrived Dec 4 with my family meeting up with West Coast family Dad, Mom, 2 Sister's, Brother- in - laws, niece's and nephew's for a week of family bonding and some fun in the sun

After doing a fair bit of research on Cabo, fishing would have to fill in some time. Reading many report's and looking thru some seasonal fish calendar's I was going to be there during the slow season for fishing and during a full moon to make chances even less. Two fish I've wanted most was a Rooster and any Bill fish. The first full day there I was off to the Cabo Marina to rent a boat. I've done the bigger charter's down south at other destinations many time before and not once has a rod ever fired off, always seemed like an expensive boat ride to me. I would be by myself and just wanted a smaller boat to stay 2-3 miles offshore and drift bait instead of trolling and split the day casting shorelines for Roosters.

Brokered a panga for the next day along with an English speaking boat guide. { Mexico does not allow non-resident's to rent boat's with-out a resident guide} Bought my license for the next day and showed up there for the following morning at 6am to meet my guide Felipe and head out fishing for the day. The broker does show up and I meet my guide Felipe, a good sign in Mexico although I quickly realize my English speaking guide speaks as much English as I do Spanish! lol No big deal fishing will be our language. I explain to him I do not want to troll but want to drift bait a few miles from shore then cast shorelines.

We proceed out of the marina along with 1oo's of other fishing boat's stopping at the bait boat, literally a boat with water in the bottom and bait swimming in it. There I buy some Caballito, Blue Runner's and Spanish Mackerel in the 8-18 inch range.

Out of the Marina we head out to the underwater San Lucas Canyon off the Lighthouse about 3 miles out. Tied up 8 ounce weights to 6ft lead with a circle hook and sent bait down to 80ft in 300 FOW on a hump. Seen lots of ocean life around including whales, dolphins and other boat's in the area catching marlin trolling. We continued drifting over the hump and every hour we would start the engine driving to the start to begin our drift again.

About half an hour before we would have to head in the rod I'm holding starts peeling out line. Within seconds this fish is clearly water and is definitely a bill fish, and for the first time in my life I have a bill fish on. Felipe starts the boat and we give chase as the marlin clears water countless times. Arms burning 40 minutes later my first bill fish is lifted into the boat. A striped marlin about 100-110lbs and caught on the drift. Another species off the list.

5ee992e5-5a54-446f-945e-7a263f415b5e_zps

e04b3306-fd00-414a-b1f3-635d2da42ab0_zps

c5af8e74-6f8e-4678-af77-be531f3ee49e_zps

536e39aa-c69a-4781-bf2c-3a7dcdfe05fd_zps

IMG_1091_zpsdc246365.jpg

We now decide to try for some Roaster's heading to Divorce Beach across from Lover's Beach. Fishing 30ft from shore I cast and a second later I see the fin of a Rooster. One of the best fighting fish ever, these things are filled with power and after a fantastic fight I have my first rooster on board and another species off the list.

IMG_1098_zpsdeb7c7cd.jpg

IMG_1100_zpseaaef2df.jpg

Two days later, my Dad, myself and Felipe head out to the same area to try fishing the same way again. Within an hour my Dad loses a marlin close to the boat after a 30 minute battle. Hour after that I fight about a 90lb striped marlin for 30 min doing a leader release at the side of the boat. Hour after that my Dad fought about a 200lbs sailfish for 40 minutes before losing it just shy of the boat. For our last hour we fish Rooster's until our arms could take no more and Dad who fishes salmon and halibut saying the same about the Rooster's, pound for pound probably the strongest fish he's ever caught also.

IMG_1114_zpsbb8c834d.jpg

IMG_1117_zps779dfb31.jpg

IMG_1119_zps96074201.jpg

IMG_1121_zps861f2c9b.jpg

IMG_1122_zpsdd197111.jpg

IMG_1123_zps93527fbc.jpg

IMG_1126_zpsdf06df09.jpg

IMG_1129_zps6f4ba38d.jpg

IMG_1130_zps81c85263.jpg

IMG_1134_zpsbf243c60.jpg

IMG_1138_zpsd4ef10ab.jpg

IMG_1139_zps95bd68bb.jpg

IMG_1141_zps9a122829.jpg

Dad and Felipe

IMG_1142_zps8d39817e.jpg

If this is what fishing is like in Cabo during the slow season, I'm already planning a trip back for the better bite.

Edited by Mike Pl

I was going to say I hope you got a sunburn. But all I can say is way to go. You sure hammered them. I'm just jealous. That place has sure changed in 40 years since I was first there, We used to go to Puerto Escondido, no one but the locals were there then. That boat you chartered would have been a yacht compared to some of the scows I rented in the 70's .I had an Uncle from California that retired there and lived like a king on a small pension. Good going sir those are some nice fish. The guides that we did hire for deep water wouldn't let us release anything when we headed out to deep for the big fish. Never got a bill fish and we were able to go out by ourselves without a guide then and kept fish to eat and give to the locals.

That's a great trip and great report, thanks..

Geeeeeeeeznus Mikey!!! You're gettin' ripped dood! Keeping in good shape to fight the bigguns I see.

Gotta say, really impressed by this. I know Cabo has always been one of the better Pacific hotspots but what makes this cool is the style you put into it. You're always mixing it up, (even around home) and your experimenting often pays off. I'll drive us to the airport next time your going. lol.

Congrats on those new species. Couple of goodies to knock off the list for sure.