MTBF 2014 Year End Report

MCTFisher9120

Good morning everybody. Well it's just about December 1st and I have packed it all in for the 2014 season. This year was a blast. I got out for trout in the spring, some walleye fishing after that with my good buddy Glen. Then we got to take a nice 2 week camping trip this summer in August. The bass were around and we had a blast. After our camping trip I returned for a night and a day in September for some more bass fishing with another friend of mine, Wayne.

Truly got to fish with good friends this summer. Last year I did much better with the Largemouth fishing in terms of size vs numbers. This summer I still found good fish but wanted to learn smallmouth bass. With the confidence I gained in August I brought out the jerk baits and finesse gear in search of some smallmouth bass with my good pal Matt. We got out to a lake about a hour south of Bancroft 3 or 4 times. We chased smallies every trip and got onto a decent routine. With no fish finder or bow-mount trolling motor we had a big boat and hoped for low wind so we could drift around and over spots. These challenges just make you spoiled when the proper boat and electronics all merry together in the future trips. I love challenges.

Here we go, it was April or May can't remember now but Trout just opened up. I wan't going to fish the bottom end of Oshawa creek with the crowds, I am fortunate enough to have a park close to the house. I went down with a 6'6 Light action spinning rod, 1000 sized spinning reel and straight 6lb line/4lb fluoro leader. I normally avoid the creek but I couldn't resist. Using reaction baits like 1/16oz/1/8oz spinners, size 0 and 1 Quik-Fish crank baits worked well. I got 2 or 3 nice fish this spring on my little 1-2hr walks around the creek. Good practice for the real fish later in the spring/summer :P

First of the spring, smashed the bait downstream lot's of head shakes awesome fight!

DSCF4413_zps12dcb3df.jpg

Few days later, higher water and a smaller but nicer looking trout!

DSCF4423_zps09784132.jpg

Beauty in the sun, all I was missing was a brown or brook trout now.

DSCF4521_zps33dc40ec.jpg

A little champion from the creek, hope to find a bigger one next spring. Took the spinner in a spot I couldn't even stand up in cause of the tree cover.

DSCF4555_zps5da4aedf.jpg

Spring Walleye was next. I went out with a friend from the shop. We were out on a flat morning fish were active boated a few in the slot and a couple of overs as well. I was staying away from the traditional buck-tail or ripping a small swimbait, went for the Black Blue Flake 3.5" TexasRig-Jig. Big 5/0 hook and started ripping it through the deeper weed(8-10ft). As soon as I hopped the craw I felt the thud, up comes a walleye! Big rod big line, fish didn't stand a chance :P

DSCF4594_zpsbc4f1b05.jpg

Got him to change to the craw also. I looked beside the boat as he was about to lift the TRJ out of the water, the claws flapped and this huge head came up out of the weed...."Look, look!!!" Wham, this fish engulfed it! Was stoked for him, laughing at the same time with the new found craw pattern.

DSCF4595_zps2d9b44eb.jpg

Did I mention I found a dirty Musky this summer...was burning the craw in after a long cast to get out a tangle....the rod stopped, this fish had to of been swimming 10MPH i was reeling fast to get my line in. Fun little fight.

DSCF4606_zps18480615.jpg

Next trip was bass fishing time. The Kawarthawa's are loaded with bass as we all know. It's nice to slowly start fishing them more and more. Here was my best for the day, not a 4 but a good bass. Was fun swimbait bite slow rolling it watching the "v's" come towards your bait. Heart stopping just about!

DSCF4600_zps16e0a29d.jpg

Next trip out was the start of August. I worked my tail off most of July getting ready for camping. Dad, my uncle little brother and I all went. Here are some pictures seen in a big report done back in August. 1st morning, 1st solid largemouth.

DSCF4664_zps5373dd68.jpg

Next day a near nickel smashed the craw, pitching cover in a good area.

DSCF4669_zpsf1d70721.jpg

Next day's big largemouth, big bass of the trip I believe.

DSCF4671_zpse7ace903.jpg

We were 2 or 3 days in and I had so many scenarios going through my head on where to start looking for smallies. Got 2 of nice size the first evening. Lead to lot's of success finding spots and general areas...timing was so key. Jerk bait fish, straight 10lb fluoro and the 110+1

DSCF4703_zps3356d0a7.jpg

Another nice keeper

DSCF4705_zps1f3ed7ea.jpg

After a good nite by the camp fire I came up with another game plan. Next day I was taking my uncle out for some fun. I got my aerated cooler and got it in the 14'. Changed water out every 20-30minutes and we caught 6 that morning keeping our biggest 4 in the well. Great shot, can't wait to get a photo like this with my dad next summer!

DSCF4747_zps8d1bbca9.jpg

Big Smallie time! This was the first "big" smallmouth out here in a long time. Was nice to see, no bars on it's side or markings...just a old looking healthy fish. Hope to find a 5+ next summer this one was just under.

DSCF4761_zpsb257492d.jpg

Dad with his first on the frog that trip. I love chasing the fish through the slop, I get on that trolling motor as soon as he hooked up!

DSCF4775_zpsae6c3b09.jpg

Light flipping with the TRJ. Nice bass to follow dad's

DSCF4777_zps887581ea.jpg

My uncle with a good frog largemouth.

DSCF4786_zpsc3814466.jpg

Early morning Pop-X fun. Got to be patient, it's a slow way to cover water but those huge casts and slow working of the bait works. I never miss a 5am start, the fishing is just to good.

DSCF4793_zpsada2d28f.jpg

Time for a quick breakfast now that the sun is up, then back on the water until late afternoon

DSCF4795_zpsc382a6a2.jpg

A nice quality largemouth on the frog!

DSCF4798_zps6748ded9.jpg

Another bass, evening this time I remember. Short and chubby, great fish.

DSCF4816_zpscb63a27e.jpg

Smallmouth time once again

DSCF4824_zps929aaf1b.jpg

I wish I could put the frog down, great colours on this fish.

DSCF4827_zps37093007.jpg

I won't forget the end to that amazing weather. Next day was the big cold front and rain, we ended the last 2 days of the trip with bad conditions but we got the last evening to be a dry one. Caught more nice bass just had to slow down some.

Sticking it out, few small bass and too many of these guys. Pike time, just not my cup of tea.

DSCF4839_zps5deea5d5.jpg

Redemption came down the stretch a little more with this nice smallmouth. Loved the FoodChain tube.

DSCF4842_zps19c6b2dd.jpg

One more of Dad, he got the good largemouth of the afternoon. Beat me up a little :P

DSCF4845_zps7c298ac4.jpg

Finally the sky's cleared and I got out for another fix of pitching the plastics. Went to a spot with current expecting rain might of brought food down the creek. Got a smallie in 3 or 4FOW, fast current pitched out and my line was moving...fast!

Green Pumpkin/Purple Flake TRJ

DSCF4848_zpsfd843669.jpg

Drove to another spot got a largie to bite. This trip was over the following morning. We packed it all in and had a blast. Next summer's "August" report will be a 3 week report...stay tuned I'm excited as hell!

DSCF4850_zps89e75e7a.jpg

September was next. My other buddy from the shop I brought down for a day of cold front bass fishing, before these 2 days it was hot and after we left it warmed up. I wish we got onto numbers but got a few nice fish through the hours we were out. Here was a smallmouth for me right off the hop!

DSCF4921_zps2a1b150d.jpg

Closed the day with a big largemouth on the Swinging Hammer. Great fish and my last "big one" for the lake for 2014...well be back next summer.

DSCF4924_zps6dac4d99.jpg

And my buddy with a quality bass the next morning, got our fix and a break from the city.

DSCF4935_zps036ac644.jpg

Next came October. My friend Matt invited me out a few weeks in a row there for some day trips chasing smallies. We did ok with numbers but not size the first few trips out. Here is myself with my first 2 on a new lake.

DSCF4947_zps32bb2887.jpg

Matt with his 2 nicer one's for the day.

DSCF4945_zpsf334fbd9.jpg

He got a nice one on the deep crank bait 2nd trip out. I caught them all day but all small bass. Was a good day again! No boats to share the lake with either.

DSCF5010_zps23a1e33c.jpg

Next trip it was cooler out. We got out on the lake for 10 or 11 in the morning. Had some waves but decent weather. I was working the jerk bait slow and saw this big smallmouth behind it. Have the 110+1 a good dart, then let it hang...fish grabbed it and the fight was on. Weighed in at just under 5 1/2lbs. My new PB smallmouth, going to break it next summer that is my goal and mission.

DSCF5015_zps067f9ad3.jpg

My 2 for the day, made the 2 1/2 look very small...but that's ok. Felt great capping off a long season with a big smallmouth.

DSCF5019_zps836996d8.jpg

Last trip was 2 weeks ago I believe. We got out for 4 or 5 hours of more jerk bait fishing. The big fish didn't come out to play. With no electronics it didn't feel right to give the deep water a go. With no structure or confidence we covered water again. I got the 2 nice fish for a photo at the end of the day. Can't wait to travel East and again going North to fish these lakes also.

DSCF5051_zps9fe27792.jpg

Well that was my year. I got to fish lot's this season and couldn't be happier. Got smallmouth confidence to guide me into next season but I'm still not satisfied with those buckets. We need to see a 7lb largemouth in 2015 to break my PB from 2009. Each season add a technique to your arsenal. It might be a extra rod/reel or more tackle but the success in knowing more tactics is huge. The jerk bait was new to me this year and I worked it lots. The swimbait I spend more time with as well. Next year I'm going to fish swim jigs and the drop shot some to add these techniques to my bass world.

Thanks for looking/reading everybody. It's always great to reflect and look back on a season. Ice fishing is next. Tightens everybody

MTBF

DSCF5065_zps0424ffc2.jpg

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Wow !!!! Another epic bass report & pics mike !!!! Great summer again I see and glad you brought Wayne down with you too !!!! Awesome man cheers !!!!! Thanks for sharing mike !!!! I got my nickel smallie this summer just could not get my nickel green fish came close tho !!!! ;))

Great report Mike ,and some real nice fish.!!!You had a great year!!

Was lot's of fun! Wish I got out more in September out there!

always enjoy your reports mike!

great season!

Thanks bud!

Wow !!!! Another epic bass report & pics mike !!!! Great summer again I see and glad you brought Wayne down with you too !!!! Awesome man cheers !!!!! Thanks for sharing mike !!!! I got my nickel smallie this summer just could not get my nickel green fish came close tho !!!! ;))

Yes the guys from the shop are great! Those smallmouth are addicting that's for sure! Flip, only way I seem to find big largies that or froggin.

Now there are some nice big bass. Looks like you had a great year. You're not getting out near enough though.

Cheers, Ron...

:P I wish to get out more believe me! Thanks for the comment Ron.

Nice job Mike. Some tanks for you this Summer.

Thanks for taking the time

TDunn

Yes you did great too! Thanks for posting.

Good stuff dude! The 110+1 sure is a pretty smallmouth jerkbait!

Love the 110+1 out here, steep drops and most of the time I deal with deeper water. Awesome jerk bait won't waste 5 or 10 bucks on any other jerkbait again.

Nice variety. Well done

Thanks man!

Great comments guys thanks! Winter is coming, I got the Husqvarna warmed up the other day ready to drill some holes through the ice. Going to be a fun winter I hope!