Ice Rods for Lake Trout

Dan668

Check out the Rapala R-Type Ice Rods. 32", 36", 42" are available. I mainly use the 32" on Simcoe and it's perfect. Great backbone and larger guides. I've sold a few 36" and 42" on here to Brian and Jose and from what I've heard, They're also happy with them.

Check out the Rapala R-Type Ice Rods. 32", 36", 42" are available. I mainly use the 32" on Simcoe and it's perfect. Great backbone and larger guides. I've sold a few 36" and 42" on here to Brian and Jose and from what I've heard, They're also happy with them.

Colin. After I got my first one from you,I couldnt wait to get another. And I did. Oh and another.

BTW,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I still need a bait caster one. :whistling:

Great rods. I havent bought any other brands since.

10 rings all the way down works well on heavier rods. Use an 8's for the transition guides if it's a spiral, then back to 10's. I built a few heavy ice rods for a group of friends who fish big lakers up in the territories. I had 7.0' #10-17 mag taper bass casting blanks and cut out the section each one wanted. Most ice rods and ice blanks on the market are pretty whimpy. These guys already had custom ice rods built for them but they were very whippy glass rods with no power at all. I think the builder's goal was to sell/make indestructable rods for them that could yank up those 40+" fish without snapping, but the rods were bent over at the fore grip during the fight because they're so soft. Beyond this, my only advice is to keep the tip tube at a size 7 or less for the best selection, size 8 has a very limited selection but they're around. Anything bigger than that and you'll be looking at heavy weight boat rod tips. n.b. now i'm talking about tube size on the tip, not ring size.

Decided to make my own, stumped on the guide size to use. Dont think ill go to small because of potential icing issues.

A stick and line for brookies sure.. Not something I'd ever use for big lake trout though. You're handicapping yourself from the get go.

How would I be handicapped? You'd be surprised how easy a fish comes up by hand if you ever actually did it. You'd probably be surprised how sensitive a stick is too, if you have the right one.

Nothing like laying the hooks into a big old greaser on a stick! Or a whitie for that matter.....love it.

I'm not talking a set line either, I'm talking a jigging stick.

S.

Edited by Sinker

Nobody uses a stick anymore??

I've honestly caught my biggest, and probably more fish on a simple stick and 10lb mono than any other set up I own.

Simple is usually better IMO.

S.

I never go out on the ice without mine.

It's how I learned to fish Simcoe and it's the method I was using to land my biggest laker on Simcoe to date.

Absolutely nothing like it when you set into one!

How would I be handicapped? You'd be surprised how easy a fish comes up by hand if you ever actually did it. You'd probably be surprised how sensitive a stick is too, if you have the right one.

Nothing like laying the hooks into a big old greaser on a stick! Or a whitie for that matter.....love it.

S.

I may just have to make one up this year Shane. You are right,there is nothing like that hook set. Theres no give in the stick.

Nobody uses a stick anymore??

I've honestly caught my biggest, and probably more fish on a simple stick and 10lb mono than any other set up I own.

Simple is usually better IMO.

S.

yes bud, the stick is still in use

I witnessed a guy fight a laker for 1.5 hours, hand over hand. I love the sticks, old school, simple, getting out there is what it is all about, not buying gear

Edited by chris.brock

At the end of the day, everyone has their personal preferences and personal takes on what the best technique and/or tactic to catch fish is. I think the most important thing is finding your own niche; if that means using a stick tied with mono or a Thorne Bro's rod, I'd say - use whatever you feel most confident in and that is usually going to be the most productive for you. As long as you are fishing legally who cares whether you spent 5 bucks or 150 on your setup if you like it and it works lol?

Thanks for the responses. Put the custom on hold for the time being. Supplies wouldnt have been at my holding place in time when i go to the states this week. Any input on the new avids? They look pretty good, made in the usa and wire guides. Might be better for outside the hut for less ice up.

I have heard good things about the Avids Ice Series, I know the softwater ones are really sweet, and I can suggest those to you... lol. I have also heard good things about the 38 inch Frabill Gussy rods, does anybody have any personal experience with those?

S.

About the biggest thing I've brought up by hand is a 1/2 brookie, lol! Maybe I'll try your theory out this winter :)

I caught a 12lb laker on a stick when I was about 11 yrs old. It hit a Mr. Champ. 10lb mono. I'll never, ever forget that fish. I've caught quite a few on a jigging rod and reel that size and bigger since, and don't remember them quite the same. There is something to be said about handlining a fish up through the ice. I love it.

I also carry all the high tech gear with me. I usually pull out the stick on a day when they are hitting good, just for old times sake, or if I'm traveling light to a back lake. It works just as good as anything else. Its not the rod/reel/stick that catches them ;)

S.