Ice Rods for Lake Trout

Dan668

Im looking to purchase or make a pair of ice rods for lakers/whitefish, even though i catch lakers off my plain ht rod. I was considering a thornebros rod. Does anyone from the board have experience with these rods? Are they worth it? I could probably build some nice ice rods for the same price, just unsure of what blanks to use.

I built mine from 9' - 6 wt fly rod top pieces. They're too long for use inside a hut. I like medium to medium light still and something with a fast action with backbone

I do like the new St Croix rods I saw at Sail the other day

I have a few thorne bros, best on the market IMO but you do pay for that...if you build your own, better off to build

my next laker rod will be another baitcaster but with spiral wrapped guides, also contemplating ordering blank/components or just ordering a thorne bro again

I picked up a couple of the Fenwick Elitetech Ice rods last year, just over $30 each. If I recall they are medium heavy action - worked great for Simcoe lakers

same rods I use for lakers walleye and panfish

the 28" is my fav and yes there medium heavy at that length

very nice rods

Edited by manitoubass2

I'm also looking for a new set of ice rods for my laker fishing. I used the 36" Med-Action St. Croix Premier ice rods the past 4 seasons. Love the length and the fact that it has a reel seat. Not a huge fan of the action or the fact that there really isn't any fore or butt grip to hold on to when fighting large fish.

Might be finally time to build myself a set of custom rods :D

I have a 36" med hvy jason mitchell makinaw rod. Its a baitcaster withe the spiral guides and its hands down the best big laker and whitefish rod i have ever used. Everyone of my friends that have tried it have gone out and bought one. Cheers jeff

St.Croix makes a nice ice rod, get the M/H 32 or 36in model. Perfect for lakers.

I use a custom made one from the top section of a GLX float rod, lol.

my favorite ice rod is the top section of my most sensitive 2 piece jigging rod, no reel seat needed, just electrical tape