thunder bay weekend in 2 weeks

sleepjigging

The wife invited me to visit Thunder Bay for a weekend. Before deciding, I called some bait stores in Thunderbay. Out of 8 listed stores only 1 answered up the phone (3pm ish) and they had gone out of business. He adviced me to call 2 other stores that might have bait. No one picked up. Got 4 or 5 answering machines. One had a message saying that ice fishing is happening.

That was good enough for me. I told her to book me a flight. Hotels.ca : $77/night for Motel 8. Car rental (compact) $15/day. Flight $400ish (Porter) + $25 baggage fee (I will be bringing an auger/Baffin Titans/floatsuit).

Now that I am committed, anyone want to clue me in as to what to expect in Thunderbay in 2 weeks? Weathernetwork predicts 0 to -10C for that weekend. Will it look like Buffalo when we get there? 5' of snow? Where can I find some fish?

Thanks.

Sleepjigging

As it stands should be a bit of snow on the ground, but not too much, but hey, when has a long range forecast ever been accurate. I know that there are a few people fishing. Not sure about Lake Superior but all the inland lakes will be good to go by then. A good resource for you will be the Thunder Bay Fishing website http://fishingboard.thunderbayfishing.com/index.php .

Tight lines and post a report!

Quick update: wife's contact in Thunderbay told us to rent a TRUCK and go see Kakebeka Falls - Niagara of the North.

Now I am looking for an inland ice hut operator or guide. I looked on the thunderbay fishing forums too, but could not find any between Thunderbay and Kakabeka Falls. Anyone know someone?

Manitoubass2: PM sent.

DanC: PM sent

Limeyangler: It's too far to go to Dryden this trip.