Redoing the boat... Let's chat

mike rousseau

So I'm redoing my 16' Lund explorer tiller... 1998... This winter/spring

It's an older Lund with long skinny side decks and a fairly small front deck...

I'm looking at redoing all the decks and floor... And seats... Posts... And bases...

I can't decide on carpet... Vinyl... Or vinyl floor and carpeted decks... Or whatever...

I'm looking for pros and cons of both options from those with experience...

I spend most of my time sitting in the back trolling with my main motor...

Probably 90% of my year in the back and 10% on the casting deck....

I do a lot of walleye fishing so the floor gets wet from the net/fish every trip out...

I fish into winter every year as well... Ice and snow every December...

More or less liking to chat a bit with anyone willing to share

I'm leaning towards vinyl floor and carpet the decks and everything else...

Thanks

Mike

Mike... you fish ALL seasons. In fact, you were just out the other day near freezing temps and you don't shy away from bigger water. Carpeted deck IMO. Reason 1. You won't slime it or freeze it quite as bad and accidentally go teets up nearly as often. lol. 2. It looks nicer IMO... and that comes through in any photos as well.

Yeah it's a little trickier and slower to clean... but a good scrub brush or even the pressure washer some days and it's done quick and easy enough. Like the vinyl floor too though... for off the deck. Again even easier to clean, drains off water and splash a little faster if raining, you can chuck down a heavy floor mat if you want for where you step off the deck onto the vinyl floor. Whatever.

Edited by Moosebunk

I have carpet and it's OK but is a dog hair magnet.

I have the feeling fish slime and snow would make vinyl pretty slippery.

I think the next time I redo my boat I'll use checker plate aluminum.

It would be very easy on my boat as all the flooring is carpet covered 1/8" aluminium sheet.

I would just need to trace out the pieces and cut them and re-install.

A lot of West coast boats are all checker plate aluminium decking.

I like my "both worlds" boat. Vinyl with snap in rubber backed carpet. The carpet is in all summer as it's nice on the feet. Then it gets vacuumed or power washed and left to dry (on the hangar floor). Then rolled up and stored away, for late fall Muskie fishing with vinyl floor only. Then I know I'm putting a dry boat away... when the time finally comes.

No contest as far as I'm concerned. I had carpeting in my first Lund. The second one was vinyl, and it was way better. I had no issues right until freeze up, and it was so easy to keep clean! I have a smaller boat now, with an easily removable floor, but I covered it in vinyl. I like the idea of vinyl with snap in carpet though!

The smart way is to do exactly what your doing. Don't go and spend all this money on a fancy boat when you can just fix it up the way you want like adding a deck and carpet. We got the same thing, but with a 14 foot princecraft. We added carpet and a small deck to stand on and use the trolling motor. Its not the prettiest boat out there, but it does it's job. If you troll a lot you will probably have to replace the carpet where your feet would be when steering the boat. I know we had to do that a couple of times. Like to see pictures when done bud.

The smart way is to do exactly what your doing. Don't go and spend all this money on a fancy boat when you can just fix it up the way you want like adding a deck and carpet. We got the same thing, but with a 14 foot princecraft. We added carpet and a small deck to stand on and use the trolling motor. Its not the prettiest boat out there, but it does it's job. If you troll a lot you will probably have to replace the carpet where your feet would be when steering the boat. I know we had to do that a couple of times. Like to see pictures when done bud.

My carpet is actually in great shap for its age... It's the plywood that rotted... Rivets in the floor popped... And screws stripped out on the decking...

That's another topic... Fasteners... I pound my boat hard in pretty big water for a 16 footer... The result is popped out rivets and stripped screw holes...

Any suggestions other then avoiding those 3-4 foot waves...?

Well those 3-4 waves will always hunt you. Hit a couple of those one time and thought I was a goner, but luckily managed to control the boat. Didn't have a life jacket on so it was pretty scary. Your boat is going to take a beating every year so there's not a whole lot you can do. We haven't had to replace the wood flooring yet, but the carpet a couple of times. Just use pressure treated wood and galvanized screws. You can always buy the pressure treated wood and throw a couple of coats of pressure treatment over it. Good luck

Well those 3-4 waves will always hunt you. Hit a couple of those one time and thought I was a goner, but luckily managed to control the boat. Didn't have a life jacket on so it was pretty scary. Your boat is going to take a beating every year so there's not a whole lot you can do. We haven't had to replace the wood flooring yet, but the carpet a couple of times. Just use pressure treated wood and galvanized screws. You can always buy the pressure treated wood and throw a couple of coats of pressure treatment over it. Good luck

I always thought pressure treated wood and aluminum was a no no on count of corrision.

I was in the same boat two years ago deciding between vinyl and carpet. I went carpet because of the slippery factor with vinyl I was warned against when fishing below zero. I also fish in bare feet sometimes in the summer and vinyl gets hot apparently in the sun. My wood was in good shape so I resealed it and reused it but my floor has pigeon holes in it covered by flaps where I guess the manufacturer (sylvan) sprayed in the foam, so if I went with a vinyl covered floor it would show the imperfections, bumps etc. If I did it again with a different boat... I'd put carpet on the decks and vinyl everywhere else.

I have the odd screw come loose from bumping around too so I'm gonna add a few more fasteners to keep the decks more secure. Use bolts where you can.

All the seat bases are made by a few company's ..Springfield or Atwood ....I used a higher end marine carpet ..got it from a boat builder ( legend) ..it's a lil harder to work with than the outdoor turf stuff..replace all hoses ..wiring ..oversize the rigging tubes etc while your in there..great time to add lights .. Accessories etc

All the seat bases are made by a few company's ..Springfield or Atwood ....I used a higher end marine carpet ..got it from a boat builder ( legend) ..it's a lil harder to work with than the outdoor turf stuff..replace all hoses ..wiring ..oversize the rigging tubes etc while your in there..great time to add lights .. Accessories etc

Large rigging hose was in the plans... As well as cleaning up the wiring....

Didn't even think about the transom... Thanks

Also looking to build in a bubbler for minnows and a new fuse/switch panel... With room for a few more accessories...

Once apart I also wanna look at options for rod storage... 6-7 foot max right now... Might drill through and add tubes for rods to 8/9 feet if possible....

Mike, if your little guy likes to take a break from fishing and lay down or play on the floor of the boat, be aware that vinyl will be very hot in the sun, so you'll need to take a blanket with you.

Just something to think about.

Mike I run a Ranger boat just to give you an idea of what works for me and why. I have the back and front deck done in carpet to make standing and kneeling easier. The center of the boat has vinyl with floor drains and screen to catch anything not liquid. They drain into the bilge area and then taken out with the bilge pump. The vinyl area gets hot in the sun and I spend very little barefoot time on it. The carpeted sections are used heavily since I fish barefoot or sandals most of the time. I usually place a wet towel on the vinyl floor and when a fish is landed it is on the vinyl with the towel on it. After a day of fishing the floor gets wiped down and the towel trolled for a little bit to clean it. I lay the carpet with a waterproof glue and skim it all over the wood where the carpet is. This seals the wood to some extent and as long as you dry the boat after your trips they will last for many many years. ( Mine is 28 years and doing fine).

Art