What to do if you catch a Canadian or world record fish

LostAnotherOne

Hi guys. Just wondering if I or someone I know catches that big fish. I know its a long shot, but not too sure what the process would be. I'm thinking take a picture of its length and girth and send that out to the ministry. I'm hoping that you don't need the actually fish cause I'm strictly catch and release and if I land a 70" muskie its going back into the water. Thanks

Just feel good knowing that it really was as big as you say it was. Whether you decide to keep it or let it go depends on how badly you want to get it certified. With musky in particular, keeping extremely large fish doesn't sit well with a lot of folks. Most other species don't seem to get as much attention in this regard.

If you fish for records, and the "glory" associated with the record, you bonk the fish. The only real way to know. Those live release records that are highly publicized, were not record fish otherwise they would have been bonked. There is more publicity with a huge live release record and a speculated weight, than a huge fish that is killed and weighs 55#.

If you fish for other reasons, measure the fish, take a pic, and share it with your friends. It happened recently and was the best way to handle it in my opinion.

The extra publicity for a live released fish is due to all the people arguing over whether the fish was really as big as claimed.

To the OP: The fish would also have to be weighed (and witnessed) on a certified scale. I am sure the ministry would be interested in the catch, but they do not maintain world records.

Why I use to like my Conservation licence and the easy answer to CO Bruce Ward's question of "what would you do if you caught a record muskie"... I'd have no choice but to let it go ! But because of the dick and his thoughts of "possession".. I upgraded to a Sport so I can kill the bugger!.. no I'd still let it go!

Edited by irishfield

I definitely wouldn't feel good about it but I think I would have to bonk it

20 plus years ago, there was a tackle store in Guelph (not Ray's Hook, Line, Sinker) on Edinborough near the Beer Store. The brothers who owned it like to fish for muskie. I remember the guy telling me in detail, how he could retire off the world record muskie. Deals with tackle companies whose equipment he allegedly used to catch the fish, trade shows, even selling individual scales off the fish to collectors (I think illegal now).

It's sad but true, without the actual specimen, it's just a fish story

that's one of the reasons I buy a sportsman licence

Edited by chris.brock

If an established guide or pro tourney guy caught a record fish, for a prized species, they could likely turn that into some $$$ in the form of sponsorships and appearances. However I doubt your average fisherman would receive the same treatment and I'm not sure how much $$$ there would be for a record fish, even a musky.

If an established guide or pro tourney guy caught a record fish, for a prized species, they could likely turn that into some $$$ in the form of sponsorships and appearances. However I doubt your average fisherman would receive the same treatment and I'm not sure how much $$$ there would be for a record fish, even a musky.

There would be a lot for a muskie, even for the average guy...

"Probably" bonk it. Wouldn't matter what really. Even though, through IGFA to make any such claim of WWR fish you'd likely have to jump through some hoops.

Caught a good many past and present record breaking longnose gar though and haven't killed one yet, but only because I've seen at least four, maybe a half dozen bigger than my biggest. Caught a sheephead exceeding the current record, but was also in the boat with Aaron the day he caught and released his 27.5lb'er, and that in my mind is the biggest Ontario Record sheepie. And over the years in Moose Factory, there have been a number of fallfish which would have smashed the current record. But these species mean little to the angling world, and besides the gar, when that Ontario record 25+ is caught I might take my first one, even despite the WWR being around 50 or more pounds.

It's the bass, walleye, muskie and maybe even a number of the trout (possibly pike) which are the one's to beat for any sort of glory in the books and padding in the pocket. The muskie, speck or laker would be my preference.

I love my camera and would do these things if I caught a record Largemouth or Smallmouth bass. I would get the fish in the live well. Get 4 or 5 perfect normal photo's with the fish. Then I would do both take pictures of length/girth measurements and weigh the fish with a digital scale. I would keep clear photo's of measurements and weight as well as getting somebody to film it. With a good livewell i'm sure the fish would be fine.

After measurments and weight it comes down to certified weight and the record. I know you can't transport live fish so you would have to transport the fish dead to a local grocery store somewhere where you can get a meat scale (certified in the last year).

Personally, photo's and video would be enough for me. A 10lb+Largemouth or 9lb+Smallmouth up here would be remarkable. After documentation and providing the fish is in good healthI would turn it back no mount or anything. My near 7lb Largemouth I did the same thing, photo's/video and release. I since then have setup a replica mount to be done by Advanced.

It would be a dreamy day, I would take a record bass over a small lottery winning any day ;)