2000 Honda 30hp 4 stroke

BassMan11

Hey Guys,

Just to give an update, I went and looked at the motor this morning and decided to pull the trigger. I don't think its a quite year 2000 because of the writing on the coiling but never the less it runs awesome. Its going to be a long winter.

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0703-1.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

Edited by BassMan11

• 7 months later...

Gentlemen,

Finally getting out with the new rig I noticed right away the motor has not been running right. Fully loaded with 2 people the boat weighs 1000lbs and I am only getting about 15mph at full throttle. This can't be right can it? I have already brought it in to get a full tune up and all 3 carbs cleaned. Also I have changed the prop from a 10 pitch to a 9 pitch to see if this would increase the RPM's but it still sounds bogged down. Anyone have any idea's of what else I should be looking at?

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

It is a manual trim and I have tried all of them and it doesn't make a difference.

The Boat is a 14' Sylvan and I would think at least 25mph would be my target speed.

Glen, The carbs are opening all the way but I would agree that it does sound like shes not firing on all cylinders but I thought maybe that is how a 4 stroke sounds (my first one)?. Either that or a fuel delivery issue would be my guess.

Are you saying that you already had it professionally tuned up and had the carbs cleaned? If so, then I'd assume it's running properly on all three cylinders and your problem is most likely motor positioning ...mounting location or trim settings - as was already mentioned.

Any chance you have a long shaft motor on a short transom ... it kind of looks like that could be the case from the photos.

Are you saying that you already had it professionally tuned up and had the carbs cleaned? If so, then I'd assume it's running properly on all three cylinders and your problem is most likely motor positioning ...mounting location or trim settings - as was already mentioned.

Any chance you have a long shaft motor on a short transom ... it kind of looks like that could be the case from the photos.

That is correct. The mechanic is actually a friend of mine that works at a place here in Ottawa. He has looked at it again and thought it was a prop issue (which I replaced) but it didn't fix it. The motor is defiantly a short shaft and I have the cav plate at the proper location after doing some research.

It is a manual trim and I have tried all of them and it doesn't make a difference.

It should make a big difference if you adjust the trim pin......something is up.

Are you sure its the right prop?

S.

Going by the pictures, the pin that goes in the trim holes should most likely be in the center one, I guessing your bow may be plowing and not getting up high enough. It's unfortunate you're are fair distance away otherwise I'd give you a set a fins I had on mine. It made the world of difference getting up on plane and flying.

It should make a big difference if you adjust the trim pin......something is up.

Are you sure its the right prop?

S.

I have tried 2 different size props (9 and 10) and the motor sounds the exact same..... this is going by a prop chart.

Going by the pictures, the pin that goes in the trim holes should most likely be in the center one, I guessing your bow may be plowing and not getting up high enough. It's unfortunate you're are fair distance away otherwise I'd give you a set a fins I had on mine. It made the world of difference getting up on plane and flying.

Correct I am in the centre hole. Front end is up and I am about 3/4 on plane. It just feels I am missing that last gear at wot.

Get all the prop measurements.

Like 9 x 10 dia

A 9" aluminium with your rig may be too small.

He has the right prop, same as what was on mine. Like someone else mentioned you may be only running on 2 cylinders. Friend of mine has a Princecraft 14.5 Fisherman similar to yours with a 30 Honda, that thing goes trans warp.

Just for chits & giggles, while you're tied up at the dock and in neutral running, pull each one of the spark plug wires off one at a time and see if you notice any difference.

Edited by Fisherman

No it doesn't have to be full, mine never was at any time, it sort of lay there at a 45 degree and always had a small air pocket. I don't suppose you have the specs to check the timing? There's marks on the flywheel and cam that have to line up,

Make sure your mechanic takes it for a water test. Sometimes it's hard to diagnose a cylinder not firing in the shop.

I had an issue with the same motor where the fuel connector at the motor was letting some air in ... causing it to stall out sometimes. I'd double check all your connections.

Going to do a compression test tonight to rule out that problem (hopefully). Any guess on what the readings should be? If the compression checks out then it must be a fuel delivery issue.

Agreed you can't really fully test the motor unless it is ran out on the lake. You can only do so much in a tank at a shop.