Tire opinion nf

Freshtrax

Need new tires for my f150 4x4. It doesn't see off-road conditions often but but I do like to get some mud on the tires and I'm usually towing a boat trailer when I do. Crown land, logging roads ect. I am gonna purchase in a week or two and am leaning towards the general grabber at2. Reviews online are great but does anyone here run these? Opinions? I can get 4 in the west end of toronto for 850 installed so the price is right. Also needs to be decent in snow and on ice.

Edited by Freshtrax

That's a good price, I don't mind General products. They are not top tier tires, but you know that. The Goodyear Wrangler Duramax's are also a decent price and are great in the mud.

Heads up, mud tires suck in the snow/ice. When I had my Mazda B4000, the Duramax's were great in the mud, but were no better than my Wrangler A/T's in the snow.

I've heard good things about the general at2. Also consider cooper at3 and Hercules new at has great reviews also, both are toted to be quiter and smoother than the general.

My pops has the hankook at m they're supposed to be good on ice but my experience is limited.

2 years and 60k+ ago I got some Sailun Terramax AT installed on the Expedition and they're almost like new still , lots of ban for the buck right there ..

They've seen snow , slush , mud , rock and mikes upon miles of gravel roads... I'm really impressed . They're worth looking into .

At2's are a great tire, one of my favourite a/t's. keep up on rotation and you should get at least 60-70 k out of them. They are more than reasonable in mud and rocks and have a nice rigid sidewall design. I'll likely go back to them on my truck. My sierra I bought in the summer came with true m/t tires and they are no good for a daily driver, unless you wanna sacrifice road manners and fuel mileage for looks haha

hear good things about the generals

another tire to consider is the firestone destination a/t. had them on my jeeps the last 5 years and very happy with them and will likely replace them with the same. they should be about the same $$$ as the generals.

duratracs are an excellent tire as well but they are much more of an aggressive tread design than the generals or firestones = increased noise and fuel usage and perhaps overkill for you since you spend most of the time onroad. more $$$ too.

Edited by Raf

General Grabber AT2 265/70R17 115S - Price for 4 tires $856.00 plus tax (limited stock may take 2-4 days for delivery)

Hercules Terra Trac R/S LT265/70R17/E 121/118S - Price for 4 tires $799.00 plus tax

These are the quotes I got. Not sure if the general is a LT or p rated tire.

The 115S are not an LT tire but it is a truck tire; a little heavier construction then a Passenger "p" rate.

The pricing not bad; but when you say plus tax is that both taxes (OTS & HST) The availability could be an issue; I can pull tires from 3 large warehouses and none of them have stock and no word when they will?

I know it's easy to undercut another shop; but I could sell those tires for $866.43 all in; that's with me putting my normal mark up on the tire. Just don't know when/if they will be available.

Buddy is giving you a good deal on the Hercules; mine for a set of 4 would be another $40. for the set; that's just to buy them.

Dan.

I know they're not cheap but, Michelin LTX m/s2

Need new tires for my f150 4x4.Also needs to be decent in snow and on ice.

What size tires? I know they're not cheap however I run Michelin LTX M/S on a couple of trucks, long lasting, quiet and very good all round. I've seen some horror stories with Good for a year and General, wouldn't put either on a wheelbarrow.

I got stuck a few times with my ltx's. They last forever 117 on this set. One time I got stuck on wet grass! I find the load up with clay and mud quite easily and don't clean out well. I need something semi aggressive for my fishing expeditions and around my dad's farm. The short list is the grabbers, cooper stt $$$', dick crepec fun country, Or Kelly Safari tsr.

Edited by Freshtrax

I'll be interested in all the responses, my F150 needs new skins also!

As does my '04 F150. The stock Generals that came on it lasted 100,000km. And I wasn't easy on the truck either lol. I've got Firestone Destinations on now but they'll need to go by spring time

spent 16 years in the rubber business and what it comes down to is you get what you pay for.

as for a AT tire I ran goodyear wrangler silent armours from 2008-2014 put 125k on them still had decent tread life just getting slippery in the rain.

I replaced them this year with another set of goodyears going with wrangler adventure with kevalr (silent arour replacement) overall a slight improvement over the silent armour better in rain very quiet, light tire that helps in the fuel mileage department and it works very good in sand mud crossing creeks, ect has a snowflake symbol for snow duty and hope its at least as good as the original silent armour in that respect.

agressive AT hard to beat a bfg all terrain or goodyear dura trac unless you want to get into some d c tires nitto or micky t's

I guess that's why the grabbers are sold out everywhere. Snowflake rated, mileage warantee to 90k, most reviews on tire rack rate them better in snow and on ice than the bfg ko.. To boot they are 2-300 cheaper than anything comparable on the market. I'm normally not so cheap but the truck also needs new front struts and rear shocks. Not so bad as I have a spring compressor so I can do that myself. Sooooo if anyone knows someone with the grabbers in stock.......let me know.

The perrelli scorpions they put on the F150s were an embarrassment.

Mine were cracked to rat poop after 4 years and less than 35,000 k.m.

Having said that I put on Wrangler Duratracs. Not the cheapest out there but great reviews and locally supported by Currie Tire which is a great business.