Hunt Camp Report

chris.brock

On a frosty November morning, I sit silently. The sun isn't up yet, but it's finally bright enough to see. If I look to my right, I can catch the odd glimpse of Bruce's orange hat and vest between the hardwoods. I scan below, down to the hemlocks and the creek. The silence is deafening yet somehow therapeutic.The bush and myself don't make a sound.

The eerie silence is broken with what sounds like a cannon going off. It echos through the valleys. The distance away, and the direction it came from, is hard to tell. Then dead silence again.

My radio comes alive and a voice softly whispers.

"did you guys shoot?"

then whispered responses- "no", "nope", and I chime in with a quiet voice, "no"

We are not alone in these ridges and valleys, and rifle season has begun.

In a place called Galloway, at a camp called Ponderosa, the membership has dwindled. Being a sharp shooting, cold blooded citiot, with an appetite for straight whiskey and adventure, I was lucky to be invited along.

Bruce, the camp owner, Randy, the crazy down' easter, Dr David Suzuki, and myself would search for deer and squatches in the hills around camp.

David making the slow ride into camp.

100_3260_zpsb1a4e68b.jpg

Home sweet home.

100_3270_zps04f745d2.jpg

Dr Suzuki was great to have in camp. His wealth of biological and ecological knowledge, is unsurpassed.

After an unsuccessful first day, David sat us down at the table. He remained standing, and said-

"The deers are now eating the pine nuts and spruce balls. What are you girls doing in the hemlocks? Holding hands? GET INTO THE TAMARACKS AND GET YOUR THUMBS OUT OF YOUR BUTTS!"

Point taken.

Randy tells David and Bruce about how to call a squatch.

100_3265_zps7d95c3f7.jpg

I love older camps and their history. There's similarities and differences between hunt camp and fish camp.

similarities-

rustic accommodation

lots of time outdoors

drinking and comradery

differences-

instead of rods and baits we have guns and ammo

there's no catch and release at hunt camp

for obvious reasons, drinking during mid-day is generally frowned upon at hunt camp

stuff that can be found at an old hunt camp

100_3268_zpsd2c6dbf9.jpg

IMG_01521_zps3226d9e3.jpg

the only thing that was harvested this trip, was Randy's mouse

100_3267_zps1f6a95ca.jpg

David Suzuki, in his pajamas, smooth bore, rifled slug, paper plate at 50 yds

100_3271_zps4ffa97b7.jpg

group shot

100_3272_zpsea6d5a8a.jpg

We saw 5 moose, I was the only guy to see deer, 3. I watched a doe for about a minute, I didn't like the shot, and didn't pull the trigger. No regrets.

A great trip. Hopefully we all get to my cottage for some ice fishing in a couple months.

Edited by chris.brock

Good read Chris glad you got out to go hunting. We are just getting out of the bow season and into black powder down here and then the rifle season runs till March. We have soooo many deer around here we call them woodrats thus the long season to try to keep them in check.

Art

Really enjoyed reading that Chris!!!

You were very fortunate to have David around to share his wilderness wisdom with you and he's a Crackerjack shot to boot :D

Nice to see the "COTU" vid. You guys are always up for an adventure :good:

Rick

In a place called Galloway, at a camp called Ponderosa, the membership has dwindled. Being a sharp shooting, cold blooded citiot, with an appetite for straight whiskey and adventure, I was lucky to be invited along.

Great read through and through Chris. A clean shot to well enjoyed bud! It's always a treat to catch hunt camp stories this time of year... and wonder if taking up hunting would be something to do. Thanks for sharing.

Tell us more about the mouse? Running shot? Slug or rifle? How were the tenderloins? Tough drag out?

Shane!!! :rofl2: