Minn Kota on a canoe

thatleetboy

I picked up a used motor off kijiji with the thought of building a mount, putting it on my canoe.

I'm having some trouble understanding what my options are for a battery.

Has someone here used one of these on a canoe or dinghy, can point me in the right direction?

Even a link that explains battery choice would be helpful.

Many Thanks

I have a 55 lb minn kota for my sportspal. I have an Interstate pro series 29....the largest interstate deep cycle. If you go to a battery shop or do some research online there is a simple formula you can use to figure out how big of a reserve yoy need to match the draw of your motor. For the 55, it was the largest haha

I run my battery just ahead of my feet, about 1/3 of the way up canoe but could also put it under my arse if I was strapped for space. Either way, if you're by yourself you will need at least 70 pounds up in the bow to weigh the front end down. If I had cable to spare I would just run the battery up at the bow. Do such cable extensions exist?

I would suggest you go with a sealed battery. I went with the Optiima AGM 12 volt. as per suggesting from Terry.

No leaking and you can lay it on it,s side. And it weighs 24 pounds.

Littlelake23-08-14006_zpsd482abfd.jpg

It,s pricey at just close to 200 bux, but worth it IMO.

Edited by Brian B

Joeytier > Yes, I believe that rewiring with longer cables is not difficult... I will let you know!

Brian B > That looks amazing! This is exactly why I am finding this so difficult to decide... BTW where exactly did you get that battery?

Cheers

Hey Guys,

I am currently undergoing a project of installing a Powerdrive on a tinner as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on a circuit breaker for the line?

I unfortunately only have the plug side of the motor so I am going to have to make my own power line.

I can personally vouch for Optima Batteries. The yellow or blue deep cycle marine batteries are bullet proof, and you can get them from walmart for a decent price!

I had a 31 Deka in my canoe with a 30lb motor, it would last all weekend, so even smaller ones will do fine. One thing I had that was great was a minn kota battery box. It had great handles as the battery is heavy, built in circuit breakers and 2 cigarette lighter sockets, excellent for electronics and charging plus made for easy hook ups and tear downs. well worth the $60. Also Im a sworn Deka battery man, there may be others that are good but Ive always, always been happy with Deka