FWD/AWD for launching?

Dutch01

I down sized from a 4x4 full sized truck a few years back to a Fwd grocery getter.

I was quite nervous about how I would make out at launches and towing my snowmobile to and from the lake in the winter.

It has been pretty much fine for myself. Never ever even blinked at concrete launches. Have gotten myself into some sticky situations at non concrete ramps, but have never been completely stuck. I have a set of metal traction aids that have saved me 3 times including last weekend. Those things work well.

I'm sure some people would get stuck pretty easily, but if you pay attention Fwd is fine...

I haven't bought it yet but I'm looking for a 16' tiller or side console with a floor/casting deck etc and a 40-60 hp four stroke. I am guessing that will weigh under 2000 pounds.

I tow a 16ft tiller around no problem. Sometimes its loaded with 5-6 dozen duck decoys along with all the other gear.

S.

I tow my 2000lb 1971 sea ray with my '04 subaru forester and have no problems launching. I've launched the same boat with a buddy's jeep liberty and it just spun the rears until I put it in 4x4.

That is what I love about the subaru AWD, don't need to switch into it when it's needed, it's already doing it's thing before you even think about it.

As a side note 2000lbs is the max tow rating for my forester so I don't tow it far, 5-10 min to launch and back and never on the highway.

I will be towing long-ish distances - I'm in Markham and like to fish Balsam, Lower Buckhorn, Nipissing etc. so I will need something with more than a 2000 pound rating I think.

There are a number of small ute's with 3500 pound towing ratings (Santa Fe, Ford Escape, Dodge Journey etc), so if I can't get a proper truck I'll likely get one of those.

Edited by Dutch01

a 16' tiller with carpet/decks + 50 4-str + trailer will be well under 2000lbs. my 15' tiller with 40-4 stroke (carpets, and decks) + trailer is propably around 1k lbs.

i would still opt for something that can power all four wheels though. when i had my old cherokee, 95% of the time i could pull out boats even a 17 Lund just in RWD on gravel but the 5% i couldn't, i was sure glad i could flip it to 4x4.

Edited by Raf

Depending on the exact boat a 16 tiller would run around 800lbs plus 240lbs for motor and 350lbs for the trailer, add another 150 for gear and gas. That's 1540 lbs. Side console add another 100lbs. Lighter gauge hull and thus a smaller motor and perhaps a portable tank and you might be around 1200lbs. For both boats a Forester or Escape etc could easily handle in most situations. A lot of less popular lakes have poor lunches where 4x4, clearance, and a roller trailer is helpful. Also fewer people to help out if you get in trouble.

I'm also in the market for a new boat (16 tiller) and vehicle that I can drag down rough roads and launch in rough spots. If you stick to nicely paved launches you should be fine. Watch for drops in elevation between or at the end of concrete pads!

The new Forester can not do that, heard of weight reduction at the chassis

Towing capacity without trailer brakes only 453 kg = 1000 lbs

So true. Hard to find a small off-road capable vehicle these days! At least something with part-time 4x4. Also, a Toyota Tacoma V6 burns 13.1 L/100km the V4 12.4L/100km, a Ford F150 V6 Eco 13.8L/100km. This shows two things, (1) how in the Toyota engine size saves little fuel (and this is not unique to Toyota) and (2) how modern engines are burning less fuel. The new Ram diesel gets 10.7L/100km. The new Jeep Cherokee is also an option at 10.2L/km and 2000lb towing capacity (4500 with towing package) and probably better 4x4 capability than most AWD SUVs.

My rig is very similar to what you are after. Tow with a AWD v6 escape. Been tracking mileage lately...get 13-14 l/100 the city, mid 8's - mid 9's on highway depending on speed limit, on the highway and 10-11 while towing.

Pulls it out of launches very easily.

Edited by Spooled

FYI, the AWD Honda Pilot and Ridgeline have a centre locking differential.

The thing works really well and is pretty surprising really.

I have even used my Pilot to rescue a stuck Suburban on the beach in Alaska. :D

My Ridgeline hasn't let me down yet.

As many have mentioned, it will greatly depend on the launch you are using - and the size of the boat/weight. Case in point - I have a new Truck - 4 x 4, etc. and have yet to need the 4 x 4. But I have also been launching at well maintained boat launches, where the rear wheels (and/or front) can gain traction.

One thing in your search for vehicles. I was towing my Promag 182 Smokercraft with a 2010 Hyundai Veracruz AWD. It would tow it fine, but as I gained experience came to understand that it was not an optimal tow vehicle, for the boat I purchased. It would have been fine for the 16 footer I thought I was going to buy - but the extra 2 feet - not to mention the 8 foot beam changed the equation.

So along with the RWD/AWD question - you should also consider weight of what you want to buy - both dry and wet for the boat - but also Tongue weight. There were a couple of launches that were difficult, as the hitch/tongue were low to the ground - and the spare on the trailer would get hung up, as it would hit/drag. The vehicle did not have enough in the backend to hold the tongue up level.

I now have a Truck - and it is very noticeable the difference in towing.

My rig is very similar to what you are after. Tow with a AWD v6 escape. Been tracking mileage lately...get 13-14 l/100 the city, mid 8's - mid 9's on highway depending on speed limit, on the highway and 10-11 while towing.

Pulls it out of launches very easily.

The Escape is on my list so that's helpful to know, but I'm more worried about launching capability than fuel mileage.

Edited by Dutch01

Was looking for a a year. A small real off-road capable suv with high ground clearance, good towing capacity, 4x4 and high reliability is hard to find.

The new suv are all more Autobahn-SUV. Had an Escape 2010. A bit very carefully off-road / gravel road and it needs first new axle bolts at 18000 km. Next at 25000... done with that. My wife's old pontiac vibe was way better in reliability.

Ended up with a 4Runner, strong, body on frame construction. Milage after 1200 km incl. off-road now at 11.1 l/100 km = 25.4 Imp mpg

Very very happy with this truck so far.

Yup I currently have a 2007 Escape. It's worked ok. Not very good off road and seems to need servicing too often. A 2012-2013 Trail edition 4runner would be great but hard to find. Not too crazy about their new look. They seem too big and wheel flares are now painted instead of just black plastic. The roof rack is pretty basic like the limited version. No pull-out sliding floor etc.

I used strictly 4WD for years when I had the trailer shop and marine transport show..and would have insisted everyone do the same, I bought a 2WD truck a few years ago and have launched and recovered my boat at maybe 40-50 different ramps without a problem. There are definitely ramps I wouldn't mess with, and boat size plays a huge factor, if your boat is too heavy to pull up a ramp then you should be in a bigger vehicle anyway, and that vehicle is likely a truck, and trucks are readily available in 4WD..

Front mounted hitches are great, most of my use was in lots where it is much easier to shuffle boats around. Wouldn't be too effective on a shallow ramp where you needed the tires really wet..

As to using the boat to push the truck out..hey if you are stuck you are stuck. However, power loading the boat on a trailer isn't the best thing for the ramp, and running the motor all the way to the shoreline would be even worse. I can imagine local "ramp Nazis" waving their Tim Horton's cups in anger when you do this. No harm on a nice paved ramp but digs trenches in gravel or soft ramps. Eventually digs a hole that 90% of guys would never notice but when you launch a big boat off the ramp it suddenly drops into said hole, ad causes grief. Obviously this takes some time to develop.

Proof FWDs can tow just fine! :)

Very true and full four wheel lock when needed. Added bonus is that it wont be a basket case after a few years and worth a handful of nickles like a "Dud"ge or have 50+ some odd recalls like the good old GMs.

Very true and full four wheel lock when needed. Added bonus is that it wont be a basket case after a few years and worth a handful of nickles like a "Dud"ge or have 50+ some odd recalls like the good old GMs.

My brother in law had one, he had no complaints at all. He said it drove more like a car then a truck.

Edited by BillM

it was basically down to the pilot and the diesel grand cherokee when i bought my last vehicle. i would have bought either one as both suited us well but found a better deal on the diesel GC than I could the pilot.

My brother in law had one, he had no complaints at all. He said it drove more like a car then a truck.

Its about the best ride you can get in a truck. Can't wait what the redesign looks like in 2016. That is if they bring it back like they say they are.