Winter Tire Suggestions?

James77

No way, you can run studs in Ontario anywhere from Parry Sound north.

Drivers who live in northern Ontario can now put on studded tires earlier and keep them on longer, providing motorists with more options to stay safe during severe or extended winter weather.

Northern Ontario residents can now use studded tires from Sept. 1 to May 31. Previously, studded tires were only allowed from Oct. 1 to April 30. The change is based on advice and recommendations from the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP).

Studded tires can be used on vehicles that have an ownership address in northern Ontario, which includes the districts of Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, and Temiskaming. They can also be used on out-of-province vehicles travelling in Ontario for less than a month.

My old marketing teacher from high school was telling a bunch of us gear heads how they would have studded tires on their hot rods and they would do burnouts, sparks would be flying and it was cool to watch. He had a '69 Z28 with a 302 4 spd. They would really tear up the roads.

If you want good prices, order from the US, drive over, get the tires installed and drive back. Even with the exchange rate you'll save quite a bit of money.

I agree there are some very good savings to be had; just make sure you declare them at the board. There's no duty If they were made in North America because of the NAFTA agreement; just the HST. But lets say they were made in China, there will be 7 or 8% duty along with the HST.

Don't get caught not declaring; if you do, there are some pretty big fines and they could confiscate your vehicle and all of its contents.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

I agree there are some very good savings to be had; just make sure you declare them at the board. There's no duty If they were made in North America because of the NAFTA agreement. But lets say they were made in China, there will be 7 or 8% duty on top of the HST.

Don't get caught not declaring; if you do, there are some pretty big fines and they could confiscate your vehicle and all of its contents.

Dan.

I don't think I've ever heard of a vehicle being confiscated because someone didn't declare a set of tires.. You go over, get a tank of gas and some groceries at the same time, it's painless.

It would be pretty hard to prove where those tire were purchased and the custom guys and gals have much bigger fish to fry.

Custom guys/galls aren't looking at your tires.. It's all up to you if you declare them or not. I can't count the number of things I've brought up and never declared.. Tires would be the last of my worries. Usually I do though, especially if I go over for a few cases of beer while visiting a buddy and maybe some nice steaks. 99% of the time, they don't care and wave me through, I think I've been stopped once for a case of beer and had to pay duty on it. If you want to declare them, by all means do it. You'll still pay less then you would here, which was the entire point in the first place.

Edited by BillM

If he's switching over his all seasons for winters.....isn't he going to have 4 tires in the back to tip off the border guys? :-)

I ordered a set of tires through tirerack to be couriered to my door. Even with import fees they were hundreds less than I would have paid here for the same tires.

If he's switching over his all seasons for winters.....isn't he going to have 4 tires in the back to tip off the border guys? :-)

I ordered a set of tires through tirerack to be couriered to my door. Even with import fees they were hundreds less than I would have paid here for the same tires.

He should be driving over on steelies with old winters that the tire place disposes of :) I've ordered tires from tiresdirect.com and had them shipped up here, like you said cheaper even after the crazy shipping/brokerage charges.

I found a really good deal on Blizzaks on rims for $450 basically brand new. Going to snag those for this year and give them a shot. If I don't like I'll order something else and sell these for what I paid anyways. Thanks for all the input guys. I mostly drive in the GTA but cottage trips and montreal trips happen frequently so it's nice to be confident.

I really appreciate all the feedback!

James

I had Blizzak LM25's on my BMW and they are really great winter tires. But I agree with the other posters here regarding wear. I got 2.5 winters out of them and they were shot. I've got Michelin Primacy Alpin's right now and they're not quite as good in deep snow but much better on bare roads and on ice.

Edited by Dutch01

Sounds like a good deal on those blizzaks , like others have said great tire but very soft . I live in the snow belt of central Ontario

and we get some crazy snowfalls coming off of G Bay and my X-Ice tires have always performed great . Canadian tire always have

deals on snow tires this time of year as well .