Winter Tire Suggestions?

James77

Hey guys.

So earlier this year I upgraded from my 1996 4Runner with a 4" lift and 34" tires to my 2014 Subaru Crosstrek.

I've never bought winter tires before so I'm looking for some feedback from you outdoorsy people who get on the un-plowed roads and drive in the terrible conditions.

I'm looking mostly at the Firestone Winterforce and the Blizzak WS70 winter tires.

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm not expecting to be able to plow through 3' snow drifts like I could with my truck. (I miss her so much. :( ) but i'd like to be able to drive in some deep stuff and not be worried about getting stuck!

Thanks

4R.jpg

4R2.jpg

Blizzaks will go through anything, but you'll get lucky to get two winters out of them if you're doing any sort of regular pavement driving (again depending on how much you drive). They're just really really soft (Which is why they grip like crazy)

I've got Winterforces on my truck and they are great, I hardly put any miles on it so I really don't know about treadwear.

If I wanted the best snow tires I'd buy Nokian Hakkapeliittas, but they aren't cheap, although they will out last the Blizzaks by a long run.

Edited by BillM

Blizzaks will go through anything, but you'll get lucky to get two winters out of them if you're doing any sort of regular pavement driving (again depending on how much you drive). They're just really really soft (Which is why they grip like crazy)

I've got Winterforces on my truck and they are great, I hardly put any miles on it so I really don't know about treadwear.

If I wanted the best snow tires I'd buy Nokian Hakkapeliittas, but they aren't cheap, although they will out last the Blizzaks by a long run.

How did you find the performance to be between the Blizzak and Winterforce? I drive a fair amount less in the winter and will only use them for the winter season.

People suggest the Winterforce does poorly on icy roads but there is so much siping and biting edges I find it hard to believe.

Thanks for your input on them!

To be honest I haven't found any really bad 'winter' tires yet, even the Walmart cheapies that I used to drive on to and from Toronto on a daily basis did the job just fine. Anything is better then an all season.. I really like the Winterforces I've got on my truck. I'm currently running the same on my Jetta wagon and zero complaints. They weren't too expensive either.

Edited by BillM

I've had Hankook winter i-pikes on my vehicle for the past 2 winters and they've performed and held up well. Last winter was a real test in our part of the country and no complaints with them so far.

Edited by Old Man

not sure where you live/how much true snow driving you'll do

the blizzak$ are great but wear fast,

like bill said, any winter tire will be better. i got some sumitomo winters for cheap on our mazda, they do just fine. if you are just driving in the gta in the winter i wouldn't $pend on the blizzaks.

Loved my Michelin x ice on my civic and Corolla the Toyota spent many a day miles off shore on simcoe.

I had these on my subaru forester XT and it was crazy the amount of snow it would go through. I did laps around my buddies 4x4 chev out on lake scugog in deeep snow and laughed at him LOL. Great tires. My work also runs them on our fleet of work vehicles and they last pretty good. Again, not the cheapest rubber, but they are worth it. I swear by them. Great on the hwy too.... most of my driving is on the hwy, at speed. Love them for that.

S.

I have Blizzaks on a Highlander and they're great.. MIchelin XIce on wifester's car, and they seem good as well but I don't drive it as much.

Lots of options though. You might check out the ratings on Tirerack.com whether you buy from them or not.

I had never run winter tires till last year.

It was always just the At's that came with a Ford

Last year I got one with the stupid Perrelis so I bought a set of Blizzacs....we had 12 feet of snow and I barely put it in 4 wheel drive...just didn't need it, even pulling a trailer...as far as tread wear I never noticed, the roads always had snow on them anyway...hoping for another excellent winter

Winterforce ok tire there cheap and decent in snow not so good on ice.

The blizzaks are great tires wear quick though.

Michelin x ice go anywhere great on ice and snow and the only snow tire with a mileage warranty.

Goodyear ultra grip ice and dunlop graspicds series also competent tire

yojohama ig series gruppy but wears fast.

Make your choice fast popular brands and sizes going fast at this time of year.

Also look at rebates traditionally michelin has 100 mail in on x ice this time of year other brands are similar

Buy the tire you want/can afford, after doing price comparisons between the different dealers selling that brand of tire. After the third season, Kijiji them while they still look like they have decent tread. After you've worn off the first 4/32" of tread (new 11-12/32") they are no more then a pacifier; they make you feel good that you have snows on. IMHO a snow tire worn done past 6-7/32" is no better then a new all-season tire at 9-10/32" thread.

Dan.

Sounds like i should go buy some blizzaks for my new ride. Ice is a huge probrlem up here and i also plan on lots of lake of the woods driving/fishing this ice season

You're allowed studs up there, I wouldn't be dropping the $$$ on blizzaks, I'd get the cheapest studdable winter tires I could. They'll be better then anything else without studs.