Whitewater Lake - Land Of The Giants!

solopaddler

Great report Mike!

Definitely a highlight for me. Thanks for putting everything together and inviting me along. I had a blast with you, Chris and Eddie!

MLO is a topnotch operation and Whitewater is a jewel. I'm spoiled now ;) LOL

An unforgettable experience for sure!

Glad you all enjoyed! :)

Another great report Mike. I too will join in the laughter at the short shorts.

Gee thanks LOL!

What an excellent looking trip you guys had. Thanks for sharing it!

That beach looks great, but at the same time I envision sand getting EVERYWHERE in the cabin. I hate sand.

When I first read about the derelict Ogoki Lodge I thought to myself, "I have to buy that if I ever win the lottery ;)". Such a cool looking place and it seems such a shame all that effort going to waste. Well, at least I'll have a destination in mind during the zombie apocalypse.

Thanks Adam! "zombie apocalypse" LOL!

I'd never looked at that Bing satellite image before. If you scroll over to the bottom of the eastern basin where the camp is there's an amazing view of the sandbar I mentioned in my report. You can clearly see why it's such a good spot!

Great report Mike!

Definitely a highlight for me. Thanks for putting everything together and inviting me along. I had a blast with you, Chris and Eddie!

MLO is a topnotch operation and Whitewater is a jewel. I'm spoiled now ;) LOL

An unforgettable experience for sure!

Rick it was entirely my pleasure! Looking forward to some steelheading with you this fall.

Great read and report Mike. Looks like you earned every one of those fish caught having to deal with those adverse conditions. I really like how you take the time to check out the local history. I'm sure it only adds to your experience.

I had an absolute blast at Whitewater! Caught some beauty fish and loved experiencing the history of the lake. The whole place had a very cool vibe!
The lake, the scenery, and like you said the camp was incredible. Almost too nice actually LOL!
Really enjoyed spending time with you Mike, you're the real deal. Emoji_1F60A.png

Once again, thanks for the kind words guys, glad you enjoyed.

I had an absolute blast at Whitewater! Caught some beauty fish and loved experiencing the history of the lake. The whole place had a very cool vibe!
The lake, the scenery, and like you said the camp was incredible. Almost too nice actually LOL!
Really enjoyed spending time with you Mike, you're the real deal. Emoji_1F60A.png

Chris there's no doubt we'll do it again bud!

Mike

Great report as usual. I regularly fish Smoothrock Lake in the Wabakimi Park about 20-30 miles south of Whitewater Lake. Smoothrock is a huge area that is really many lakes and rivers of great fishing connected by waters that flow in and out of Whitewater and Wabikimi Lake. The outfitter is Thunderhook located next to Mattice who also has excellent facilities and they fly out from the same lake as Mattice . I have many times considered Whitewater because of the reputation for big Northerns and your trip confirms the reputation.

You're putting that new Canon lens through its paces, I see :). Nice work!

That first pic really shows how rough it can get up there. There must've been some serious weather activity and/or trekking through the bush to tear the propeller off your cap like that! :P

heheheheh

Just kidding, of course. Great post as usual!

p.-

Mike

Great report as usual. I regularly fish Smoothrock Lake in the Wabakimi Park about 20-30 miles south of Whitewater Lake. Smoothrock is a huge area that is really many lakes and rivers of great fishing connected by waters that flow in and out of Whitewater and Wabikimi Lake. The outfitter is Thunderhook located next to Mattice who also has excellent facilities and they fly out from the same lake as Mattice . I have many times considered Whitewater because of the reputation for big Northerns and your trip confirms the reputation.

Have camped on Smoothwater on 3 occasions, it's a very nice lake as well! Drop me a line if you ever do decide to fish Whitewater, I can help you out with info.

That first pic really shows how rough it can get up there. There must've been some serious weather activity and/or trekking through the bush to tear the propeller off your cap like that! :P

I don't even know what that means LOL!

• 2 weeks later...